Iphone coming to All carriers.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
*yawn* AT&T can keep the iphone. Actually, nah, let others have it and further expose how bad the AT&T 3G network coverage is. I can't wait for someone I work with to get a Verizon iphone and compare it to the AT&T guys iphones here. Heck I'd love to see an iphone on the sprint network here. Sprint for me is screaming fast mobile broadband and easily bests verizon speeds locally. I just have to laugh when I see the iphones at work with the ugly EDGE icon on the display. muwahahaha. :)

I'd love to know what Apple got paid for AT&T exclusivity. Had to be massive $.

*yawn* AT&T can keep the iphone. Actually, nah, let others have it and further expose how bad the AT&T 3G network coverage is. I can't wait for someone I work with to get a Verizon iphone and compare it to the AT&T guys iphones here. Heck I'd love to see an iphone on the sprint network here. Sprint for me is screaming fast mobile broadband and easily bests verizon speeds locally. I just have to laugh when I see the iphones at work with the ugly EDGE icon on the display. muwahahaha. :)

I'd love to know what Apple got paid for AT&T exclusivity. Had to be massive $.

I have actually read many articles saying that the Iphone's architecture is actually to blame for the poor performance, it might be the other way around being on other carriers and will showcase the problems with the iphone.

I have actually read many articles saying that the Iphone's architecture is actually to blame for the poor performance, it might be the other way around being on other carriers and will showcase the problems with the iphone.

Maybe so. Either way, I don't particularly care all that much. I have android powered phone on sprint and really like it. I have an itouch, in all honestly, I like it alot too, but I've used an iphone and it just doesn't seem right when you get into the actual cell data and call functionality. Wifi it works just like my itouch, but 3g data just craps out alot (granted it's only EDGE coverage here so not really 3g). Calls just seem to get dropped even with good signal.

I think this will happen eventually but the article simply says it "may" happen. The thread title is a bit misleading.

Maybe so. Either way, I don't particularly care all that much. I have android powered phone on sprint and really like it. I have an itouch, in all honestly, I like it alot too, but I've used an iphone and it just doesn't seem right when you get into the actual cell data and call functionality. Wifi it works just like my itouch, but 3g data just craps out alot (granted it's only EDGE coverage here so not really 3g). Calls just seem to get dropped even with good signal.

The AT&T coverage for the iPhone where I am at is great. When I had the iPhone, I was getting 2.5MB speeds.

The AT&T coverage for the iPhone where I am at is great. When I had the iPhone, I was getting 2.5MB speeds.

Well, I guess you don't live near me then :) I'm sure the 3g is fine on AT&T, but again, I have not really experienced it. Even Tmobile has 3g coverage here, but for some reason AT&T just has not gotten around to upgrading this area. It's available all around me, maybe only 50 miles if I go north, but nothing here. They seem to keep dragging their feet after they bought up the Centennial wireless stuff (that was their excuse before about waiting to get control of all the Centennial stuff, but that's been done a while back, heck all the stores are re-branded AT&T for sometime, but yet no 3g) Heck they have 2 AT&T stores right down the road from me. Literally, they are 1000 feet between them. Maybe if the shut down the "extra" stores, they could fund some 3g upgrades here.

I routinely get 2 meg down since my market got the 3g upgrade. I am quite happy with the Iphone and AT&T for that matter.

I like the Android phones, but now that I have 3G, I'm cool with AT&T.

I routinely get 2 meg down since my market got the 3g upgrade. I am quite happy with the Iphone and AT&T for that matter.

I like the Android phones, but now that I have 3G, I'm cool with AT&T.
Lucky you, I will one day own an iPhone on The Largest 3G network(Verizon)!!!!

Lucky you, I will one day own an iPhone on The Largest 3G network(Verizon)!!!!

You need to use a Droid. Even the guys here at work that have iphones say it has a faster response to touch and overall better phone.

I can safely say that it is not AT&T but the iPhone itself. If I use my iPhone I drop calls, lose signal, and the internet is slow as hell in Philly. That said one of my blackberrys is AT&T and it works great with no dropped calls and full signal. I lose WiFi signal at my house on my iPhone and I can be sitting next to the router. Thinking it was my phone itself I upgraded to the 3gs and the same problems still occur. Meanwhile no laptops or pcs upstairs that run wirelessly ever have dropouts.

around here 3G will get you 7xx-8xx kbps download and 70 kbps upload on the iphone when id did a bandwidth test.

I was in Nashville, Tennesee and it was almost 2 mb/s!!! screaming in Nashville. I had my laptop tethered and it made my dsl look kind of bad LOL.

I live in a rural area so just because it shows "3G" may not mean they have the actual bandwidth from the tower site to the rest of the world.

kind of like upconvertering a 480i tv channel to 1080i so it fits everybody's HDTV.

EDGE is just horrible. it is on my blackberry. all that blackberry is good for is email. the browser sucks on edge too. so so sloooowww.

the latency on edge is even worse. at least when the data is starting to flow back to you it can move along ok. its the 30 second wait to get the RIM servers over edge to start sending your data back.

Iphone even on the not so desireable parts of at&t's network is heads and tails above the rest imo.
at&t does not offer much to protect your iphone beyond apple's factory warranty. given the cost of these devices, that second year your on your own. if something happens to it-your just screwed and will have to dig deep in your wallet for a replacement. Happened to me.

the sad thing is in a couple years iphone 3g's will be on ebay for 100.00 or less.

Last edited:
I think, out of necessity, AT&T is improving nicely in many parts of the country.

I also have observed here at home, my Verizon speed tests have slowly averaged less and less over time. I really think the popularity and growth of data services with Verizon has forced the company to throttle their speeds over the past 6-9 months.

for example, I have been clocking speeds in 2010 that rarely hit over 1 Mbps download while 6 months ago, the EVDO Rev A would average 1.4- 1.6 Mbps. My gut feeling is that this is due to the growth and popularity of data services. I suspect that Verizon data speeds will continue to decline as more and more customers use the data plans. This is bad for us data veterans.

While 1 Mbps is OK for routine e-mail and web surfing to read, it is lacking for media streaming that likes to see speeds of 1.5 Mbps. From reports, I gather AT&T is improving their speeds across the land from a pitiful, barely adequate 150-200 kbps to 700k-1Mbps while verizon is becoming slower, meeting each other the middle. I suspect this trend to continue until we make the next big technology shift to LTE or "4G" Hopefully, all the carriers will enter into an era where speed and bandwidth capacity will not be limited. We saw this with HDTV on satellite services and that is no longer a major problem. I suspect that in 2 years speed for media streaming and quantity of data will no longer be throttled or remain a problem on wireless services either.

The point being is that if Verizon gets the iphone, a huge increase in data users before 4G is ready with the carriers and the devices, it may cause a serious crippling of EVDO like the iphone did with AT&T data speeds. If that happens, you all may discover AT&T become the best carrier for data. Ironic, isn't it?

Last edited:
This is probably why AT&T and Verizon are in a price war and are lowering rates. Pretty hard to justify spending $100+ per month with AT&T with the Iphone when in a few short months several other carriers will also be selling the phone and discounting the service.

AT&T might as well slash rates now to keep people happy so they don't use that as an excuse to switch later.

Reguardless if I got a contract with AT&T or not, I'll gladly buy another phone to switch to Verizon. AT&T's maps just piss me off :)

When I was on AT&T centuries ago, the coverage was spotty. And I have some relatives that tell me it's still that way. Probably when the Verizon and AT&T advertise, the latter only talks about doing to 2 things at the same time on the phone instead of talking about coverage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)