Iphone coming to Sprint.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
CDMA and GSM are obsolete. Everyone is merging towards LTE. LTE will dramatically change the wireless industry over the next decade.

Absolutely. However, I disagree to some degree about replacing the top at Sprint. I don't think it would do any good. Too late.

Now. Aren't there slightly different flavors or "implementations" of LTE that might keep the networks mutually exclusive? I hope not.

“You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”
----------------Winston Churchill.

:)

Diogen.

I am looking forward to seeing if the "dropped calls" problem was really AT&T or the "design flaws" of the iphone itself. With it on multiple networks we should soon know. :)

Did Blackberry and Windows Mobile follow the iPhone when it came to copy and paste? I never owned a Windows Mobile phone, but I do have two HP Pocket PCs, the oldest running Windows 2003 Mobile, that has copy/paste functionality, surely the almighty iPhone had it when it launched in 2007, right? Did Android follow the iPhone when it came to customizable background images? I suppose HTC followed the iPhone when they put in a front facing camera into the Evo, for video chat, right? Why can't I playback high quality video over 3G on the iPhone? Android didn't follow Apple there that’s for sure as HQ YouTube looks awesome on my Evo when on 3G, 4G or wifi. What about turn by turn voice guided navigation? Granted it was a monochrome screen on a flip phone, but my first cell phone ever, my trusty ole Moto i90 flip phone from Nextel had turn by turn voice guided GPS back in 2002, didn’t the iPhone just get that in 2008 or 2009? I’m sure there’s more things that Apple has failed to do with the iPhone, like MMS, that was a big one.

The iPhone is all about marketing and hype, period. I bought the 16Gb model in March 2009. What a waste of $300 that was. The iPhone is without a doubt the worst piece of electronics I’ve ever had the displeasure of owning. The restrictive walled garden atmosphere is a slap in the face to it’s users and there is nothing compelling about that thing. Other than the captive touch interface, the only thing I have to thank Apple for is creating such an uber crappy device with such an awful operating system so it could open my eyes and appreciate what was to come even more, Android. I felt like I just got released from prison as I walked out of the Sprint store 6 days after the launch of the Evo with that in one hand an a deactivated brink called the iPhone in my pocket.

I’ve always hated Apple and Lord Jobs with a passion but put that behind me as I was naïve and like so many bought into Apples intense but simplistic marketing and I was wowed with the most simplest of things. Then a few weeks after ownership I learned what a fool I was and then when the Evo was announced I was free. While the iPhone may have been worst $300 I ever spend, the $115 ETF paid AT&T to get rid of that piece of junk was the best $115 I ever spent.

And not to mention, AT&T Mobility, they just plain suck as a wireless provider. I'll never do business with AT&T or Apple again.

And not to mention, AT&T Mobility, they just plain suck as a wireless provider. I'll never do business with AT&T or Apple again.

This is the thing about wireless providers. They are very different in all parts of the country. I know you love Sprint but if you were in my neck of the woods you would think worse about Sprint than you do with AT&T. AT&T is actually the best provider in my area. The only one that comes even close right now is Verizon and they are a little behind AT&T.

Steve- you fail to understand the Apple mindset that made iphone what it is. Sure many of us had the pocket computer back as early as the old Palm pilot and with HP iPAQ the the integration of the cell phone on T-Mobile or the Blackberry with e-mail, but those devices while great for their time were just plain klutzy, often requiring rebooting to keep from freezing up. The Apple innovation was not about something specific that usually only geeks appreciated, it was about an overall experience on a smart cell phone that gave users an experience once reserved for tech heads, now easy to use by everyone. The real innovation by Apple was the use of custom applications, approved and screened by Apple to work for the average cell phone user. This innovation not only made the smart phone for everyone ( except geeks) but also made Apple a ton of money because they made the cell phone a huge cash cow for the company. They made getting, buying, installing and using functions, easy.

I completely disagree with you about the iphone being about marketing. That is so completely wrong it is hilarious. You do know that the biggest joke at Apple is the Apple Market research plan? Apple's market research plan consist of three simple words- "Go Ask Steve!" That's all they do. You never see any new product out for market test, ever! What really sells the iphone is it works for those who don't want to spend their days programming their phones. They just trust that "Lord Steve" understands what they want to do and trust him to give them a product that makes it easy. However, they do also not like the idea that they have to do business with AT&T. AT&T is not Apple and the vast majority in the US can figure that out.
Personally, I also don't prefer iphone and for more reasons than AT&T service. I want to do things with my phone that Apple doesn't permit. When it does, I may jump to it too with my Verizon account. The difference is I don't hate Apple and Steve Jobs for that control. Instead, I understand that the world consists of more who want Apple control than those who want to program these things themselves. The iphone revolution has been with us since 2007 and the Android option for about a year. Latest surveys on CNBC and FOXB have indicated that 34% of present smart phone users of all types will jump on board the iphone with Verizon this year.
You are in good company with that EVO as it is said to be the top selling Android phone on the market but it doesn't come close to the popularity of the iphone. The only way statisticians can get a beat on the iphone is to compare all the Android phones collectively to the single 4G iphone. There is just no denying the popularity of the iphone no matter how much of an Android fanboy you are.

Lord Jobs is a sick twisted individual. He gets off on being on control freak and an egotistical one at that. He loves controlling and locking his loyal followers into his ways so they will be with his company for life. And you bet it’s all about marketing! For some reason, I don’t know why, but someone deemed the iPhone to be ‘cool’ and a ‘must have’, even though there is absolutely nothing special about the dumb thing. People see the commercials, they see other people talking and carrying around their boutique phone with the shiny fruit on the back and have the desire to own one because of the perceived notion that Apple products are cool and actually of quality (ha that’s a joke right there). Apple has such a loyal and blind following it’s not even funny, pretty sickening, disgusting and disturbing if you ask me. The iPod was their savior, and then they created the two most overrated products of all time, the iPhone and iPad.

Who really gives a damn if the iPhone is exclusive to AT&T, if it’s on AT&T and Verizon or an exclusive to Cricket? It’s just a smartphone, that is incredibly overrated and there are much better options out there but because people can’t think for themselves, they need Lord Jobs to tell them his is the best out there, when in reality it’s a pretty lackluster device. The iPhone is a social statement, status symbol and a fashion accessory, that is it. I could careless about the sales numbers. Fact is Android devices are outselling the iPhone at a rapid rate. Like they did years ago in the computer world, it’s Apples own fault for not licensing their operating system out to other manufactures. This is because Lord Jobs is a sicko and needs to control every aspect of everything so he can then in turn have more control over his flock of sheep.
Again, as someone who spent 15 miserable months with the piece of crap iPhone, I will never understand why it is so sought after, why it is so special and why people to desire to own this thing.

Other things I enjoy on my Android device that the iPhone lacked why I had it, not sure if the latest iOS can do it, probably not though
- Voice to text for texting
- Voice command navigation
- 24 hour refund policy for paid apps

And while the Android Markets old UI had much to be desired, the update from a month ago made it much much much better than the Apple App Store on the iPhone.

Apple products have never been about market share. They have been about making Apple money.

Apple is not the largest computer manufacturer, they are just the most profitable.
They are the largest portable music device maker.
The make the most money in the phone business... 39% of the entire mobile phone handset market's profit is Apples, even though it only sells 2.5% of the handsets...

Steve Jobs is a genius at figuring out what product to bring to market at just the right time to make a ton of money.

No smartphone is perfect for sure, my iPhones have always been jailbroken and I fully understand how to mod them. AT&T in my area is dominant in coverage. They also have the most customers here and the most stores. The network sucks during peak use times but goes fast at night and on weekends-works for me.

Mr. Jobs deathgrip does suck I agree.
iPhone wouldnt do high resolution video over 3G because AT&T wouldn't allow it. Just like they don't allow FaceTime over 3G unless you are jailbroken and running 3G unrestrictor.

You can do high res using mx tube.

As for Gps-who even owns a car anymore without a built in navigation system? I don't need one on my phone.

The last time I looked at android phones last year I liked the phones but the app market was crap. I would certainly like an evo 4G. That is a nice phone that is on par with iPhone 4. We do not have 4G networks here so all evo phones run 3G here for now. I don't think most users really care.
My iPhone can also create a wireless hotspot, so android has nothing on iPhone there.

I will never understand why it is so sought after, why it is so special and why people to desire to own this thing.
Not even when it was explained to you?

39% of the entire mobile phone handset market's profit is Apples, even though it only sells 2.5% of the handsets...
Comparing the Apple iphone sales against all Android phone sales is like comparing the sales of the Toyota Corolla against all cars made buy all other manufacturers.

Mr. Jobs deathgrip does suck I agree.
I never mentioned the antenna issue. This is technology and things happen. While the antenna problem was completely inexcusable I could look past that. The way Apple and Lord Jobs handled the whole ordeal was disgusting.

iPhone wouldnt do high resolution video over 3G because AT&T wouldn't allow it. Just like they don't allow FaceTime over 3G unless you are jailbroken and running 3G unrestrictor.
What about the iPhone in other countries. If I lived in Canada and had an iPhone on Telus or Rogers could I stream high quality video over 3G? If so that speaks high volumes about AT&Ts network. If not it’s just one more thing the iPhone isn’t capable of doing stock. Just a side note, Among things the iPhone also failed to innovate from my list above was multitasking. Don’t know how I forgot that one since Backgrounder was the whole reason I jailbroke my phone. Although having Cycorder was cool too since even though just about every dumbphone on the market with a camera could shoot live video, the almighty iPhone couldn’t. Wow that’s two more ‘standards’ the iPhone set. LOL Why is this thing so good again?

As for Gps-who even owns a car anymore without a built in navigation system? I don't need one on my phone.
I drive a 2005 Lincoln SUV and it doesn’t have an in dash nav center. For work I drive a 2006 5 ton Freightliner delivery truck, no nav center in there either. The GPS capabilities of my phone have allowed me to do my job and since all I have to do is say ‘Navigate to street address or name of business’ it makes things safer and easier. I’ve rode in other peoples cars who did not have GPS and my phone has come in handy more than once. And IMO quality GPS software on a smartphone beats the hell out of portable Garmins or TomToms.

The last time I looked at android phones last year I liked the phones but the app market was crap. I would certainly like an evo 4G. That is a nice phone that is on par with iPhone 4. We do not have 4G networks here so all evo phones run 3G here for now. I don't think most users really care.
For just about any quality and relevant apps developers have both platforms covered now. When I got the Evo in June there were about 10 apps that weren’t available on Android that were available on the iPhone. Now it’s down to one, the StubHub app. Not sure why eBay hasn’t put on an Android version yet but I hardly ever used it anyway. And two of my most used apps, NFL Mobile and NHL GameCenter Live aren’t even available for the iPhone and same goes NASCAR Mobile. I use Winamp as my media player, I doubt Apple will ever let you use any other media player on the phone other than their own. And while talking about the Market, I’d like to reiterate how much better the new layout for the Android Market is compared to the App Store, and the fact there’s the 24 hour refund policy for paid apps.

My iPhone can also create a wireless hotspot, so android has nothing on iPhone there.
Never been concerned with that but considering it’s passing AT&Ts service, I wouldn’t want it.

Not even when it was explained to you?
Nope, you failed to explain to me why a smartphone price at $200 and has a habit of lacking features is more sought after then other smartphones at $200 or less that can do more.

Comparing the Apple iphone sales against all Android phone sales is like comparing the sales of the Toyota Corolla against all cars made buy all other manufacturers.
Enough with the nonsense spin on the sales. This is computers not cars were talking about. When it comes to personal computer market share it’s never Dell v Apple or HP v Apple, it’s Windows v Mac. It’s the platforms that are compared not the specific manufactures. Windows PC manufactures and Android phone manufactures give consumers what Apple doesn’t, CHOICE. If I don’t like Dells hardware offering I can go somewhere else and get a PC that runs Windows. If I don’t like Motorolas hardware offering I can go somewhere else for an Android phone. It’s Apples controlling nature here that is the root of it all. It should be Android Phone v iOS Phones.

Again, as someone who spent 15 miserable months with the piece of crap iPhone, I will never understand why it is so sought after, why it is so special and why people to desire to own this thing.
Can't speak for others, particularly since I am not an Apple Fan to begin with. I am a PC guy. The reason why I bought an iPhone is because it is the best smart-phone on ATT.

I understand there are emotions involved, and I will try not to step on any toes.

We use the iPhone where I work, as do some of the companies we deal with. We are not blind cultists chanting "Jobs, Jobs." We use it in part because we have corporate contracts with AT&T (we also have a contract with Verizon for folks working near Richmond, where Verizon coverage is better). Mostly, we use it because it is very simple for people, especially salesmen, who just want a very simple, reliable device to make calls and check email, calendar, etc (Exchange). They're not going to jailbreak, or have even heard the term. Some I'm not sure even know it's an Apple product, they are so techno-averse. Outside of a couple of us, I doubt anyone is using more than a half dozen apps. For us, it works just fine, and is used by people that refused to even touch a Blackberry. Their only interest is in having a simple tool, not a hobby. And having just the one smartphone type makes support so much easier.

Others may prefer other brands and models. Fine. Glad it works for you. That doesn't make our choice stupid.

Nope, you failed to explain to me why a smartphone price at $200 and has a habit of lacking features is more sought after then other smartphones at $200 or less that can do more.
Unless you want to recreate Apple's success in another market, what difference does it make why the iProducts are desirable?
It's a religion. Always was, since the company was established. And will be the case until St. Jobs steps down...

Diogen.

It is a brand name. Apple entered the market with the iphone. They did not have previous clunky hard to use cell phones before the iphone. Name another manufacturer that can say that? The other cell phone manufacturers all have the reputations for hard to use phones in the past. Now they are all "trying to copy" the iPhone, so why not just get the iPhone (in the consumers mind), than a cheap copy.

Techies here can see through the marketing hype. But, the iPhone still sets the standard with every release.

Unless you want to recreate Apple's success in another market, what difference does it make why the iProducts are desirable?
It's a religion. Always was, since the company was established. And will be the case until St. Jobs steps down...

Diogen.
True for many, but not true for all, including myself. Again, I do not like most Apple products, particularly their computers. Even when I buy add-ons for my phone I buy second party less expensive add-ons which I prefer anyway.

I do not like Mac mouses (mice). I do not like their keyboard layout. I do not like their PC OS UI. I do not like paying 50% more for a computer when I can get a comparable PC that I can do more with. Heck, I even prefer many features on a Droid over an iPhone. Again, the BEST phone on ATT is the iPhone and I wanted the best one they have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)