Iphone coming to Virgin Mobile

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/06/07/virgin-mobile-announces-iphone-4-4s-on-sale-june-29th/

You can buy the phone off contract soon for Virgin. Just remember that it means you will be BUYING the phone so expect a hefty up front fee. Pricing is on the link. BUT you will likely save money over time over The big 3 carriers since you can get service for as low as $30. Still, also remember that Virgin isn't exactly like using Verizon.

Are there any carriers that use Verizon's towers? I would love to take my iPhone and go with a cheaper carrier but since Verizon is the only carrier that works where we live it would have to be compatible.

There is one smaller carrier which name escapes me that does. They have fixed rate plans with voice, data, and text bundled. I'm certain they're limited to 3G though, no 4G/LTE.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

My source says you can get the iPhone on a $35/mo account.
And there is a $5/mo discount for credit card auto-pay.

Wish my d4#%@d Straight Talk gave a discount for auto-pay; they charge me 90-cents extra instead. ;)
Still, $45/mo with unlimited voice/text/411/data, is a deal.

Last edited:
I'm not sure just how great of a deal this is.. financially yes but I've heard nothing but horror stories when it comes to Sprint's service with the iPhone. Since Virgin uses the Sprint network I would STRONGLY suggest you do some research about speeds in your area before throwing down money for this. If this thread from Sprint's support site is any indicator, you may find yourself SOL and JWF.

Sprint Community: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

On 4G with my HTC evo in Charleston, wv, I see 4000-10000 kb/s download on virgin mobile Sprint. 3G speeds are anywhere between 100-2000 kb/s.

When it goes to 1XRTT , its like edge on att

On 4G with my HTC evo in Charleston, wv, I see 4000-10000 kb/s download on virgin mobile Sprint. 3G speeds are anywhere between 100-2000 kb/s.

When it goes to 1XRTT , its like edge on att
I'm not saying that Virgin/Sprint is a universally bad service when it comes to speed, but it greatly varies based on where you live, as do all cell services. It's not worth jumping from AT&T/Verizon IMO to Virgin if you're getting a cheaper price but your service area is horrific. That's been a major factor as for why I never jumped to Virgin, as I don't like their coverage map in my area. Well, there's that and their lack of powerful Android phones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)