iPhone service plan

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I bought my iPhone Oct 29, 2008. 2-3 months or so ago, I bought the service plan, just in case. Dropped my iPhone and cracked the case a few days ago (still works). Opened the box the service plan came in and discovered that I must register it online. And they might ask for receipts (long gone, didn't know I had to keep).

So I tried to register it online, after getting my Apple ID, and it says the plan does not match the covered product. Huh?

So I've been advised to get it repaired at an Apple store - but now I don't have that service plan recognized. I plan to walk in with phone and box and throw myself on their mercy.

This happen to anyone? Trouble registering online? Any advice?

:(

Yep, that's the box I'm talking about. I'm just hoping they'll honor it, and not think I bought it AFTER the screen broke.

don't expect much help from at&t...they are only interested in signing on new customers not taking care of the established ones. they didn't do anything for me when my iphone 3G stopped working (no physical damage and no jailbreaking or whatever people do to them).
they offered to sell me one at full price since i had two months left on my 24 month contract..

Paid with Credit Card for service plan ?
they can look it up for proof of purchase :)

Yes, but convincing them to take the time..... I might end up getting a printout online and carting it in.

Personal cell phone account, but iPhone was paid for by company. Generally I can get some service out of AT&T (except our near worthless corp rep), since by last count we were paying them something like $4,000 per month.

Anyway, the Apple store was closed last night (GEE!) so I'll go by today around one and see what I can get done. I'll report back.

I'd just like the screen fixed, but I'd pay a small premium to up to a 3G 16, or a moderate premium to the 3GS. If they won't fix it, maybe I'll look over those posts made about ordering a new screen online and doing it myself.

I've been keeping it in a leather belt pouch. I have a hard plastic outboard battery that I sometime use, but it won't fit in the pouch, nor any pouch I've seen. Might have to look for that rubberized outboard battery and find a new style pouch.

i will not be getting another iphone since they won't subsidize another one for me. I ordered a blackberry tour 9630 from ebay new in box unlocked gsm. At&t and apple have so overhyped the iphone its ridiculous. as long as i can get my email, facebook, pandora radio, text and make basic phone calls i am happy.

*******, blued, and tattooed, regarding my cracked iPhone screen.

The Apple store was packed. I luckily got a rep quickly, though. Turned out he was new, and had to go ask a "manager" everything.

1. Applecare would not cover the damage in any event.

2. I must make a "Genius" appointment for them to review it. Rep thinks the whole phone will have to be replaced (at a big but unknown to him fee). Seemed unaware that cracked screens are not exactly uncommon. If it could be repaired, they'd have to order parts (you're kidding, right?) and I'd need another appointment. Would not estimate cost. Would not have Genius rep, 5 feet away, take 10 seconds to glance and say repair or replace. For a hundred bucks or less, I'd have replaced, just to get it over with (not feeling well). I chose to leave. I can make the appointment online, or buy elsewhere. Guess where I'm leaning?

3. Applecare plan, in this case, is worthless. It cannot be activated for my particular iPhone. Either I bought it after the 1 year warranty period, or it had to be registered within the 1 year period (rep & mgr did not seem to know the rules). NOT what the AT&T rep said. Sigh. Guess I've got an AppleCare plan for sale cheap.

4. Previously, I had a high opinion of Apple Store personnel and knowledge. Well, I did not get their best rep today. But they sure seemed to be making the sales.

I'm still quite happy with the iPhone and will repair it. Only question is, next summer/fall will I be moving up to a 3GS or 4G (or whatever they call the next model).

Just make a Genius appointment and see what they say, then make a decision. I bet they would repair it on the spot. I've always had good experiences with the Genius reps, even with old Macs. Take your Applecare with you, say you did not know you had to activate it. They can check on the purchase date based on the serial number.

Thank you. But I've already ordered the kit. I suppose I could make the appointment and go back to the mall, but I'm minimizing trips right now due to some health concerns. Only went to the mall today for multiple reasons - all of which fell thru. Couldn't even buy cargo pants at Penny's. Wasted effort.

these iphones are ridiculously over priced and over hyped. No more iphone for me.
I ordered a blackberry bold from ebay new in the box for a whole lot cheaper than a replacement iphone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts