IR/RF Remotes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
Does anyone know what remotes are RF vs IR? I understand 2 RF remotes can be programmed to control the same receiver at the same time but, you can't use a IR and RF remote at the same time.

The remote I just purchased from DirecTV is the RC64RB which is RF with lighting. Very nice remote. I don't want to pay for another RF remote but have a bunch in the basement that not in use that might be RF. I have models RC23 and a RC64R. Is eiher the rC23 or RC64R RF?

the RC64R is the same as the one you bought sans the backlighting, if you have a "R" at the end of the model it's a RF/IR remote, it's a total crapshoot what comes in the box, I have installed HR21's with RC23's and D10's with RC64R's :eek:

Yes the RC64R is RF, the RC23 isn't. A RF remote will have a FCC sticker on the back. Other RF white remotes include the URC 2081/2, RC24, RC34, RC32RF, RC64R, and RC64rb.

So, I can use a RC64RB and RC64R on RF mode at the same time to control the same receiver? I assume all I need to do when programming the RF remote is use the same 6 digit code on both remotes right?

So, I can use a RC64RB and RC64R on RF mode at the same time to control the same receiver? I assume all I need to do when programming the RF remote is use the same 6 digit code on both remotes right?

Yes, leave the receiver and first RF remote alone, just do the following on the second RF remote:

1 dtv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
5. enter 9 6 1
6. press CH UP
7. enter the last 6 digits of the receiver ID #, found a on sticker in the access card compartment
8. press SELECT

Last edited:
This is great. Thank you to you both. You just saved me $25. Sure wish DirecTV could have told me this last night when I called them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts