Is 3d dead?

It may come down to the quality vs the quantity. Let's face it! The whole idea behind 3D movies or TV is the 3D action which means people are really only gonna enjoy 3D when it has 3D action in it. But to try and fill the demand hollywood is gonna throw everything out there that isn't always designed to be 3D enjoyable. Even in theatres. A friend of mine took her little boy who had just turned 7 to see Lion King in 3D and this little tyke even said he was not impressed with the 3D effects which means there was not enough 3D action in it to wow him.

I said it from the beginning that 3D was more than likely going to be a fad just as it was in the 50's an in the early 80's when we viewed it in the theatres with the old cardboard glasses. It mostly I feel still boils down to having enough of it to view and enjoy.

And please, you can't compare the switch from SD to HDTV . And I will bet anyone here that 3D will die in less then 4 years.

Sent from the Planet Earth

Oh, now the fearmongers are giving 3DTV 6 years, 2 already and 4 more before death? LOL! I think anything that lives in this business for 6 years is not likely to die off. Just admit it you are a traditionalist. You are not into technology or Television for all that it can be. Even your avatar is in Black and White. Hey! I can compare the switch from SD to HDTV all I want because it is true. People like you were in fear of HDTV from the getgo. You just forgot. You know something else? most of the professional in TV were against HDTV, from the engineers to the talent, they all feared it. I know because I was in the business during the change from analog to digital and from SD to HD. I have always embraced change. I was a pioneer in HDTV in the independent video production companies. Today, I am pioneering independent 3DTV although I did my first 3D TV back in '99 for a video training in medical education video.

Here is my latest camera rig for shooting large scenery in stereoscopic 3D-

Attachments

• 12inch slide table rear view.jpg
    12inch slide table rear view.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 157
Got that rig with green stamps? ;)

What are those round things that look like they're in front of the lenses?

Last edited:
Those are filters. For large landscape scenery I add both UV haze and polarizer to increase contrast over long shooting distances. This becomes particularly important for poping the 3D z-axis separation between distant objects like mountains and buildings in a cityscape.

Attachments

• Short slide table set for 10 inch IA.jpg
    Short slide table set for 10 inch IA.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 136
Oh, now the fearmongers are giving 3DTV 6 years, 2 already and 4 more before death? LOL! I think anything that lives in this business for 6 years is not likely to die off. Just admit it you are a traditionalist. You are not into technology or Television for all that it can be. Even your avatar is in Black and White. Hey! I can compare the switch from SD to HDTV all I want because it is true. People like you were in fear of HDTV from the getgo. You just forgot. You know something else? most of the professional in TV were against HDTV, from the engineers to the talent, they all feared it. I know because I was in the business during the change from analog to digital and from SD to HD. I have always embraced change. I was a pioneer in HDTV in the independent video production companies. Today, I am pioneering independent 3DTV although I did my first 3D TV back in '99 for a video training in medical education video.

Here is my latest camera rig for shooting large scenery in stereoscopic 3D-

I never lived in Fear of HD. Not at all. HD looks more like what your eye sees in real life. HD was a major improvement in picture . 3D is not . I don't know anyone that was in fear of HD . Maybe just the cost to change over to HD that concerned them. 3D as it is now won't last. It won' become mainstream . Please provide archived stories or links of people saying Color TV wouldn't make it or even HDTV. I can provide plenty about 3D. This reminds me of the old HD - Blu Ray Debate and also the Beta VHS Debates.

Hey Vurbano- Are you still predicting the demise of Blu-Ray and the war between BD and HDDVD will be won by HDDVD? :D Funny how some people always seem to be siding with losers. :D

I supported and defended HD DVD. But I guess a biased, misguided mind would tend to wrongly think that if someone supports one loser then everything they support must be losers. I would suggest a college level course in logic for you. it may help with your though process.

But you are predicting that this BS 3D glasses thing is going to catch on. 3D has been around since I was young with the colored glasses and every time it is tried it fails. Funny some people just never address the topic of the thread. AS for HD DVD it was just as viable as BD. The market decided just as it has decided 3D over and over again.

Last edited:
I believe that's the crux of the issue, the availability of enough, relevant 3D programming.
I really think the issue is glasses and price. That one visitor to your home that doesnt have them causes you to switch back to a 2D Superbowl game anyway. Eliminate that issue and the rest would follow as HDTV did. But its 25 years away before all of that is solved, and solved economically, if ever IMO. To me that equals dead and not worth wasting time with.

Last edited:
Got that rig with green stamps? ;)

What are those round things that look like they're in front of the lenses?

Green stamps :D. Kind of showing your age Navychop...but I'm right along with you. I think my Mom once got an iron for turning in, uh, I guess something like 50,000 green stamps!
Ghpr13:D

Yeah, my mother saved green stamps too. I recall going with her to the green stamp store ( S&H ) as I recall when I was about 8 years old and they told her the store was closing, She went home gathered up all her books of stamps and got something but I don't recall what it was. That was in the 50's.

Televisionantique and Vurb too... Both of you are now trying desperately to come up with different arguments. Let's get the story straight here. I was discussing 3D stereoscopic video. I never said it would be mainstream, rather I said it would be a gimmick form of entertainment that would become a special part of our home entertainment. The fact that there are some cell phones that use it, IMO, is a fluke test experiment. I also said I see it included in home entertainment the same as DD5.1 sound systems and people will not require that everywhere either. Additionally, I never said the glasses no glasses is something that will stick. today the best 3D stereoscopic requires glasses for a large screen but as technology advances, I suspect we will have in the near future, large screen panel TV's that permit 3D w/o glasses. The industry has made tremendous advances toward this direction in just two years. I recall the first glasses free experiment at CES and I thought it looked horrible. One year later I'm buying a glasses free screen that looks amazing on my camcorder. I now have 3 TV's in the house. The one in my edit studio is 3D passive Vizio. The Home theater is an active glasses 3D projector ( Sony) and the Kitchen is a simple 2D LCD. When that ugly glasses free 3D TV was introduced the experts said that the first good 3D glasses free panel would be 5-10 years away. They would have laughed at me if I told them I would be buying a glasses free 3D screen in a $250 3D camcorder a year later but that is now historical fact. Your 25 year schedule is so stupidly ignorant of technical progress it is pathetic, not even funny.

There is a natural progress we go through and on a similar scale to HDTV, we're still in 1999-2000 similarities. But the second year has us moving forward much faster. Consumer 3D camcorders are becoming more common. Now Panasonic just introduced theirs. Another company just released their consumer video editing software for $99 that specializes in 3D video editing features. Every other week I have a new release 3D major movie arriving. Got Lion King in 3D last week, tomorrow it's Green Lantern, in two weeks Captain America, then Pirates of the Caribbean. There seems to be no shortage of 3D content in the second year And personally, I now shoot everything in 3D because I can see it either way leaving the choice later whether to watch in 2D or 3D.

Now I will make a bold prediction ( it's similar to the prediction I made about you Vurbano, several years ago now regarding BluRay) I will bet that within 2 years after the glasses free 3D sets are on the market for average prices you will be getting one. The way I see this argument is a bit different, It's not whether 3D is dead but whether those who think 3D is dead are really dead themselves. :D

Yeah, my mother saved green stamps too. I recall going with her to the green stamp store ( S&H ) as I recall when I was about 8 years old and they told her the store was closing, She went home gathered up all her books of stamps and got something but I don't recall what it was. That was in the 50's.

Televisionantique and Vurb too... Both of you are now trying desperately to come up with different arguments. Let's get the story straight here. I was discussing 3D stereoscopic video. I never said it would be mainstream, rather I said it would be a gimmick form of entertainment that would become a special part of our home entertainment. The fact that there are some cell phones that use it, IMO, is a fluke test experiment. I also said I see it included in home entertainment the same as DD5.1 sound systems and people will not require that everywhere either. Additionally, I never said the glasses no glasses is something that will stick. today the best 3D stereoscopic requires glasses for a large screen but as technology advances, I suspect we will have in the near future, large screen panel TV's that permit 3D w/o glasses. The industry has made tremendous advances toward this direction in just two years. I recall the first glasses free experiment at CES and I thought it looked horrible. One year later I'm buying a glasses free screen that looks amazing on my camcorder. I now have 3 TV's in the house. The one in my edit studio is 3D passive Vizio. The Home theater is an active glasses 3D projector ( Sony) and the Kitchen is a simple 2D LCD. When that ugly glasses free 3D TV was introduced the experts said that the first good 3D glasses free panel would be 5-10 years away. They would have laughed at me if I told them I would be buying a glasses free 3D screen in a $250 3D camcorder a year later but that is now historical fact. Your 25 year schedule is so stupidly ignorant of technical progress it is pathetic, not even funny.

There is a natural progress we go through and on a similar scale to HDTV, we're still in 1999-2000 similarities. But the second year has us moving forward much faster. Consumer 3D camcorders are becoming more common. Now Panasonic just introduced theirs. Another company just released their consumer video editing software for $99 that specializes in 3D video editing features. Every other week I have a new release 3D major movie arriving. Got Lion King in 3D last week, tomorrow it's Green Lantern, in two weeks Captain America, then Pirates of the Caribbean. There seems to be no shortage of 3D content in the second year And personally, I now shoot everything in 3D because I can see it either way leaving the choice later whether to watch in 2D or 3D.

Now I will make a bold prediction ( it's similar to the prediction I made about you Vurbano, several years ago now regarding BluRay) I will bet that within 2 years after the glasses free 3D sets are on the market for average prices you will be getting one. The way I see this argument is a bit different, It's not whether 3D is dead but whether those who think 3D is dead are really dead themselves. :D

Don. Calling me Televisionantique? People who think 3D is dead are really dead themselves? I stand by what I say. All 3d, glasses or not , will be gone soon. If I'm wrong then you have something to crow about. Let's make it interesting. Bet?

Do you want to define soon? How about being gone? I'll play this game the same as my guns. When they pry my dead fingers from my 3D camcorders... When they take away all my 3D productions... Then it will be gone for me and I don't plan on that happening anytime soon. Lived through cardiac arrest, blown up in an explosion, and cancer, and I'm still here. I believe 3D will be here as long as I'm alive. I don't need to crow about anything because I'm having fun and enjoying it while you live in fear it will be here forever, just like 5.1 audio and HDTV. So, if you accepted my bet you would lose, guaranteed. It is not a fare bet unless you planed on changing the definitions as time passes on.

Hey, I see you switched your avatar to a color photo! Congratulations! :D

Do you want to define soon? How about being gone? I'll play this game the same as my guns. When they pry my dead fingers from my 3D camcorders... When they take away all my 3D productions... Then it will be gone for me and I don't plan on that happening anytime soon. Lived through cardiac arrest, blown up in an explosion, and cancer, and I'm still here. I believe 3D will be here as long as I'm alive. I don't need to crow about anything because I'm having fun and enjoying it while you live in fear it will be here forever, just like 5.1 audio and HDTV. So, if you accepted my bet you would lose, guaranteed. It is not a fare bet unless you planed on changing the definitions as time passes on.

Hey, I see you switched your avatar to a color photo! Congratulations! :D

4 years. 4 years from now they won't be making 3d movies that are released nationwide at theaters. And I change my avatar about every two weeks or so. I was going to change it to a 3d avatar but just like the movies, the majority of the people wouldn't look at it. HA.

Last edited:
In 4 years theaters may be irrelevant, many will wait for the movies to come out streaming, BD, etc ... who knows what the delivery system will be in 4 years. They keep trying to figure out how to release direct to home. 3D will be around in 4 years.

Don't bet on it Don. The movie theater is more of a social event than seeing a particular film. The film is just the draw. I don't see the theater going away that soon.

3D in 4 years will be 8K display panels that are glasses free. Sony demoed these at NAB that offer group viewing but claimed they are several years out from retail.

I predict an explosion in 3D independent production as the editing tools get perfected. We have the cameras now. We're close now in editing but we need more powerful computers for a reasonable cost. I predict that will be here in 2 more years. Don- check out Power Director ver 10 just released last week for 3D. I edited together a short video using it and while it is nice there are many bugs in it. Sony Vegas is going soon into it's second version for 3D and is quite bug free now. Anyway we now have a consumer 3D edit tool to go along side of the Vegas Pro tool.

The issue I've always felt with 3D is the fact you have to use the glasses. This has been the case for many, many, many, many years. Why do I say that? Because its been around since the Civil War days. They took 3D pictures back then. You had to have a special viewer to see the the 3D. Until they figure out a way to project the 3D without any need for special glasses, its never going to 'take-off'.

I still remember back in the late 80's where they figured out a special way to do 3D so it didn't look distorted. Without the glasses, things looked normal, with them, you got 3D. The special Coke commerical during the Super Bowl was suppose to usher in a new era of 3D. This is as close as I have seen so far, but other than the screen on the EVO 3D, you need those stinking glasses.

You had to have a special viewer to see the the 3D. Until they figure out a way to project the 3D without any need for special glasses, its never going to 'take-off'.

Is that like saying as long as you have to go in an airplane, air travel will never take off? :D

The issue I've always felt with 3D is the fact you have to use the glasses. This has been the case for many, many, many, many years. Why do I say that? Because its been around since the Civil War days. They took 3D pictures back then. You had to have a special viewer to see the the 3D. Until they figure out a way to project the 3D without any need for special glasses, its never going to 'take-off'.

I still remember back in the late 80's where they figured out a special way to do 3D so it didn't look distorted. Without the glasses, things looked normal, with them, you got 3D. The special Coke commerical during the Super Bowl was suppose to usher in a new era of 3D. This is as close as I have seen so far, but other than the screen on the EVO 3D, you need those stinking glasses.

At 3dtvworlds website they have a feature story on a prototype tv that does just that...shows 3d tv in full hd 1080p without any special glasses. Course the price for it is astronomical so gonna be a few years they say :)

3D is far from dead. I have looked at the passive tv's and the LG one has too much ghosting for my taste.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts