Please reply by conversation.

zmwp01

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 23, 2003
Tulsa, OK
I currently have a tripple LNB 18x20" dish feeding my ZenithSATHD520
Directv receiver. I am going to keep this when my new HD-TIVO comes in.
If I add a new dish for the the HD-TIVO, is the larger dish a benifit?
I occasionally experience loss of signal during severe storms or heavy snow.
Any experiences or suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,
Tulsa

If the dish is peaked to the maximum you should not have any problem. All dish have the potential of a rain faid but it will be kept to a minimum by maximizing the dish allignment.

A larger dish would not prevent rain fade in strong storm activity. It would only delay the onset. You also have to take into consideration the extra wind shear effect on the larger area of a bigger dish. A snapped mount could leave you with the ultimate rain fade. (I believe I read somewhere that Oklahoma is subject to some wind and thunderstorm activity occasionally. Probably just a rumor...)

Ray H said:
A larger dish would not prevent rain fade in strong storm activity. It would only delay the onset. You also have to take into consideration the extra wind shear effect on the larger area of a bigger dish. A snapped mount could leave you with the ultimate rain fade. (I believe I read somewhere that Oklahoma is subject to some wind and thunderstorm activity occasionally. Probably just a rumor...)

Thank you Ray,
Your comment about wind effect on a larger dish is definitely a valid
concern, glad you brought that up. This is the tornado belt so high winds
is an issue here. :(

zmwp01 said:
I currently have a tripple LNB 18x20" dish feeding my ZenithSATHD520
Directv receiver. I am going to keep this when my new HD-TIVO comes in.
If I add a new dish for the the HD-TIVO, is the larger dish a benifit?
I occasionally experience loss of signal during severe storms or heavy snow.
Any experiences or suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,
Tulsa

A larger dish is ALWAYS better. It allows you to collect more signal, and makes it less suceptable to rain fade.

A larger dish also narrows the beam width. AT 10GHz or so the bean width of the dish you have is about 3 degrees. If you get a larger dish the beamwidth narrows.

That means it will be harder to aim and easier to get blown out of alignment.

You cant get something for nothing. There is always a trade off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts