Is an exchange considered an "upgrade"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hckyfn80

Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
California
I have a few quick questions and would much appreciate anyone weighing in. I live in an apartment and currently have an HD DVR (living room) and a regular DVR (bedroom). I'm about ready to purchase a 32" HDTV for the bedroom to replace a really old standard def tv. I hardly ever record programs on the regular DVR (bedroom) and would like to have a regular HD receiver instead. So:

1. Per the D* website, both the regular DVR and the HD receiver are $99. I would like to return the reg DVR and get the HD receiver instead. Is such an exchange considered an "upgrade" even though both units are the same exact price? Afterall, I already have HD service. Is is possible to not be charged since I will be returning the DVR?

2. I originally upgraded to the HD DVR (living room) in May 2008 and at that time I "signed" (verbal agreement) a 2-year contract. Would the exchange outlined in #1 above trigger a new 2-year contract? Would that supersede the original contract or would it be in addition to the original?

3. Finally, and I know this issue has been previously discussed, but I could not find a definitive answer - I may have to move in about 8 months and would like to take D* with me. However, if the new apartment does not have adequate LOS (I lucked out with my current one), will D* still come after me for the ETF? Does a lack of LOS negate the ETF (if confirmed by a install tech)?

1. This would likely be considered an upgrade.

2. It's very possible that by activating the HD receiver will trigger a new two year commitment.

3. I think if you no longer have LOS that would allow you to not to have to pay ETFs.

I wouldn't say anything about moving when you upgrade to the HD receiver and cross that bridge when you come to it.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. My real concern with "crossing that bridge" is that if D* does try to collect an ETF despite not having LOS at a new apartment, then that will result in a fee of hundreds of dollars. That would be pretty costly for about 8 months of HD in the bedroom. I'm almost not sure if it's worth the risk and asking a D* cust service rep seems like it would be virtually useless since a verbal statement can't be backed up.

Anyone else have a confirming or dissenting opinion?

I had a meeting with a few of my colleagues at the beginning of the month. One of the guys there was the head sales rep for Directv on the east coast, Jeff. I asked that specific question and was told " Directv can indeed charge you an EFT if you move somewhere with a NLOS, BUT usually as a courtesy they do not.". If anybody tells you that they definitely do not charge you, they are lying or have been misinformed. I heard that "straight from the horses mouth".

Also, a DVR to HD would be considered an upgrade and would renew your contract. Hope that helps.

Thanks, Mike. My real concern with "crossing that bridge" is that if D* does try to collect an ETF despite not having LOS at a new apartment, then that will result in a fee of hundreds of dollars. That would be pretty costly for about 8 months of HD in the bedroom. I'm almost not sure if it's worth the risk and asking a D* cust service rep seems like it would be virtually useless since a verbal statement can't be backed up.

Anyone else have a confirming or dissenting opinion?
The fact is that there's nothing in the customer agreements that says they won't charge you if you move and have LOS.

I've seen it happen twice and in both cases they didn't have to pay the fee.

However, in both cases a tech had to go out and verify LOS and one had to pay for the tech visit.

IOW, there's no concrete answer. I believe you won't have to pay the ETF but doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)