Is Anik F2 the only Shaw Satellite available in the US?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ggilbert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
LaFayette, GA
Is Anik F2 the only Shaw Satellite available in the US? I thought that there were 2 satellites. But, I'm only getting one. I'm in North Georgia.

Is Anik F2 the only Shaw Satellite available in the US? I thought that there were 2 satellites. But, I'm only getting one. I'm in North Georgia.

I think so, at least if you're in Georgia,
Anik G1 only covers most northern US, as I remember,
I canceled my sub because of that,

Yes.

All programming that was on Anik F1R has been moved to Anik G1 because Anik F1R has reached "end of life". You will not be able to receive a signal from Anik G1 in Georgia; it's too far south. So Anik F2 is all this left south of the northern tier of states.

What will happen when Anik F2 reaches its "end of life" has yet to be revealed by Shaw.

More channels have disappeared for me (in Georgia) in the past month, presumably because of the retirement of F1R. Would be interested in comparing observations. Notably, I've lost some CBC locals as well as the French channel 1eme. Haven't verified my dish aiming, but if there's only one satellite now receivable down here, that's probably not the problem.

I believe it was on July 14 that numerous channels disappeared from Anik F1R forever.

I have a legacy French Programming Package that contained everything the was available in French, but I'm not familiar with the French channel you mentioned. What was its channel number? I will check to see whether I can receive it or not.

Many of the French channels that were in my original package disappeared over the past three years as they were migrated to Anik G1.

I believe I now receive only 1 CBC channel, as well as 1 of each of the remaining Canadian English networks.

If you feel your dish is misaligned, you can tell by checking the signal level: tune to a channel that you receive, then (for the DSR 600) it's Options > Status > System Status. Look at line C on the screen. The signal level should be in the 80's or higher.

I believe it was on July 14 that numerous channels disappeared from Anik F1R forever.

I have a legacy French Programming Package that contained everything the was available in French, but I'm not familiar with the French channel you mentioned. What was its channel number? I will check to see whether I can receive it or not.

Many of the French channels that were in my original package disappeared over the past three years as they were migrated to Anik G1.

Thanks for responding. The channel I was referring to was 782, from St. Pierre et Miquelon. It used to be called RFO, now it's "1ere." I had been getting it until this summer but sometimes I have to realign my dish, so wasn't sure of the cause. Your report of losing a fresh batch of stations last month is very helpful and parallels my observations. Merci.

I also appreciate the francophone channels and was sorry to lose TV5 (737) last year (or whenever it was). I plan to check my signal strength, as you suggested, on the channels I do receive. I was also going to go through and make a fresh inventory of signals I do and do not get.

OK, I DO remember receiving RFO at one point in time, though I never watched it, so I don't know when it no longer became available. You are likely aware that Shaw has been moving channels to Anik G1 in phases during recent years, so we have lost many of the channels in our package. For example, we lost Prise2 several years ago; TVA Rimouski (our summer home) disappeared on July 14.

Both 737 and 782 currently show as lost signal and the red light on the receiver comes on, meaning the channel map is directing the LNB to access Anik G1, and we are outside its footprint.

Just as an example, on 751 my signal level is 90 and the Ecb is 6.5. Our latitude is about 33.4 degrees.....roughly the same as yours, and we are well outside Anik G1's fooprint. But Anik F2 is currently coming in as strong as ever.

All that being said, I'm assuming you currently have the newer Xku LNB on you dish? If you still have the older quad LNB, you will likely have additional problems receiving the channels in your package.

OK, I DO remember receiving RFO at one point in time, though I never watched it, so I don't know when it no longer became available. You are likely aware that Shaw has been moving channels to Anik G1 in phases during recent years, so we have lost many of the channels in our package. For example, we lost Prise2 several years ago; TVA Rimouski (our summer home) disappeared on July 14.

Both 737 and 782 currently show as lost signal and the red light on the receiver comes on, meaning the channel map is directing the LNB to access Anik G1, and we are outside its footprint.

Just as an example, on 751 my signal level is 90 and the Ecb is 6.5. Our latitude is about 33.4 degrees.....roughly the same as yours, and we are well outside Anik G1's fooprint. But Anik F2 is currently coming in as strong as ever.

All that being said, I'm assuming you currently have the newer Xku LNB on you dish? If you still have the older quad LNB, you will likely have additional problems receiving the channels in your package.

I had been aware of the changes in satellites over the years (largely thanks to this discussion board) including last year's changes. I hadn't focused on the Anik F1R end-of-life changes taking place this year. Elsewhere on this thread, someone posted a Shaw Broadcast Services notice from earlier this year that listed Ku band signals that would be affected. It lists 1ere (as SPM 1 SD) and the SRC 1 and 2 Montreal radio signals, which I no longer receive. (The receiver shows the red light and when I use the menu for details, it shows zero signal on those channels.) I haven't checked every channel on the list, but a spot check is consistent with the channels I've lost this summer.

An "Anik F1R Decommission" article on the Shaw Direct web site seems to indicate that the July 14 changes are the last, following changes made May 25.

A little online hunting found a July 22 notice from Shaw Broadcast Services that says there will be a dual feed on F1R and G1 through October 6. But, as you said, I suspect the mapping info sent to our receiver is now telling it to look on G1 instead of F1R.

My dish shows signal strength of 80 (or a little under) on the F2 stations I continue to get (including 751 and SuperEcran), enough to receive them with no problem. (Yeah, I should go outside and tweak the dish a little to improve the signal. Of course, it's a little easier aiming for one satellite than for two...)

I've not had any LNB issues, channel 988 assures me that I have what I need. With these changes, I should review my subscription bouquet.

Thanks for confirming that more channels disappeared this summer. Let's hope F2 has a long life!

So far Shaw & Bell are still going strong in ND, time will tell if they try to tweak the signal any further to limit it more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The newer Anik G1 has a footprint that is more confined to Canadian geography than its predecessors. Only the northernmost states will receive signal from G1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts