Is AT&T gutting DIRECTV?

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
Just a rumor at this point, but a mutual friend of mine and Scott told me that AT&T is gutting DIRECTV and getting ready to sell the company.

There have been some major changes in Commercial, and they are desperately trying to gain more subscribers at the expense of the dealers.

Hope it’s not true, but things are not looking good.

Thank god I have an exit strategy with the cable providers to get out.

If true, certainly not surprised ....

As it's practically a no brainer at this point for AT&T to eagerly want to unload such a financial albatross ...

But once again ....

Outside of some type of merger with DISH, who would realistically want to heavily invest in the rapidly declining industry of DBS satellite by purchasing DIRECTV?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Reactions: navychop
Time will tell but time also marches on.

Technology changes and companies that don't change with it die. Instead of worrying about losing something, I'd prefer to get excited about things to come.

1b1.gif

I don't think it is a secret that AT&T wants to "UNLOAD" DIRECTV and move them to their streaming services. It has been reported on numerous news reports and press releases by their head bosses. The question should be: Are they doing it now?

Would AT&T be able to keep the channel contracts they have for AT&T TV if they sold DTV? If so, how long would those channel contacts last and would they hope to get enough customers for AT&T TV when their channel contracts expire and AT&T TV would have enough customers in order to get great channel negotiating deals for AT&T TV? Or would bundling AT&T TV with HBO/Max have enough channel negotiation deals without DTV?

Also would AT&T make enough profit from its TV business just having AT&T TV and HBO/Max? Or does AT&T see HBO/Max as its future and they can make enough profit off of that and they can get rid of DTV and the rest their pay TV business?

Just a rumor at this point, but a mutual friend of mine and Scott told me that AT&T is gutting DIRECTV and getting ready to sell the company.

There have been some major changes in Commercial, and they are desperately trying to gain more subscribers at the expense of the dealers.

Hope it’s not true, but things are not looking good.

Thank god I have an exit strategy with the cable providers to get out.
will the cable providers make an play for Commercial nfl ticket? No way steaming tv can work in a bar unless they shell out for an DIA plans that can run $1000/mo for 100/100.

I don't think it is a secret that AT&T wants to "UNLOAD" DIRECTV and move them to their streaming services. It has been reported on numerous news reports and press releases by their head bosses. The question should be: Are they doing it now?
The answer is - no. The numbers show their streaming service lost 195,000 subs in the most recent quarter so that spokesdope who said that was the plan all along was just blowing smoke.

Would AT&T be able to keep the channel contracts they have for AT&T TV if they sold DTV?
That's the question I have. IIRC AT&T wanted the customer base which also allowed them to negotiate better rates for content from the providers due to the numbers. But if they dump all those millions of customers what will that do to their pricing for any streaming service that they continue with.

Reactions: Justy5
then selling it off would also sell off those customers
not everyone can get or wants uverse/streaming
AT&T wants to strip out the "quality" subscribers and move them to their streaming services. Will they lose those that don't want to steam or can't stream? Of course they will, but I expect the bean counters have decided those loses will be less than the gains from not supporting the DTV infrastructure.

Reactions: AZ.
AT&T wants to strip out the "quality" subscribers and move them to their streaming services. Will they lose those that don't want to steam or can't stream? Of course they will, but I expect the bean counters have decided those loses will be less than the gains from not supporting the DTV infrastructure.

you wont get people to change withou incentives, which will bring more low quality than quality subs
people that are happy, or dont want to learn a new system, wont leave

you wont get people to change withou incentives, which will bring more low quality than quality subs
people that are happy, or dont want to learn a new system, wont leave
Tell that to AT&T... I'm going by their public statements. Incentives may well bring in some lower quality subscribers, but only until those incentives expire. If they stick around after that they're no longer "low quality".

Don't the majority of DTV customers have satellite because they can't get good cable/internet speeds? How will forcing them to stream help the people that can't do that in the first place.

Reactions: mdram
AT&T sucks, they are a terrible company. Right, from the beginning I thought AT&T would at least damage DirecTV's brand. Well, they not only damaged it but AT&T have set on a path to destroy it and HOPE they would be able to hold onto the dismayed, and pissed off subscribers.

AT&T has been a terrible Company for DECADES, the only reason they are still around is they have managed to build a Monopoly EMPIRE mostly upon huge sums of debt, which we subscribers are helping pay off through increased fees.

Now AT&T is expected to hollow out what remains of a Premium service in the hopes AT&T will be able hold onto High Quality Subscribers.

I'll tell you this right now, this high value subscriber has NO intention of churning to their POS streaming service. I have a feeling most of DirecTV's loyal customers likely feel the same way.

I choose to stay with DirecTV for a number of reasons, even though it costs me personally much more than a CABLE TV/INTERNET Bundle (Currently I have to pay a highly overpriced Cable Internet only fee for my internet). If I was to expected to either Switch to AT&T streaming or churn to another provider, I'll churn over to my local Cable Company for their combined Bundled service and save myself the money mostly because the Cable TV Streaming from Spectrum is on par with what AT&T will provide me for VASTLY less money.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts