Is AT&T gutting DIRECTV?

Att doesn't care about satellites...they will either sell them or let them rot in space

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
AT&T-err, DeathStar then made yet another dumb move with the launch of T16. Could’ve put that money towards 5G or other services.

Nope...the majority are sports fans...as in NFL

That’s actually the only reason I’ve stayed on since DeathStar started running the service into the ground.

Satellite TV is a cash cow that is used to support other businesses.

Both at&t and dish are using the cash to support expansion in other business segments.

I'd guess that the cash stream coming from DirecTV is worth more than they would get selling it off.

It will be years before they shrink enough to justify selling them off.

Sent from S10 Plus
using the SatelliteGuys app!

Remember AT&T owns Warner Media Services. They can keep playing the blackout/retransmission game for as long as they own it. You would think their treasure trove of channels would give a new owner of DIRECTV endless carraige disputes with big bad "Wolf" AT&T. They do have the upper hand with the purchase of Time Warner's assets. They can dictate the price and stymie the carriage of channels on rival systems. Watch and see what AT&T does. They have been showing their true colors in some past disputes.

Don't the majority of DTV customers have satellite because they can't get good cable/internet speeds? How will forcing them to stream help the people that can't do that in the first place.
Folks go with DBS TV for many reasons including sports, price, equipment capabilities, dislike of the cable company, etc. The road our family cottage for example, has about 50 residences, with about 18 of them having satellite dishes installed despite Spectrum cable service being readily available. Our own cottage for example has Dish for TV and Spectrum for Internet. We could also have gone with Frontier for Internet there instead, but I like them even less than Spectrum. If LEO satellite comes in at a reasonable price and performance, we'll be signing up as soon as possible. That will also cover most/all of those rural subscribers with no broadband Internet available for streaming.

Reactions: CycloneSat

Remember AT&T owns Warner Media Services. They can keep playing the blackout/retransmission game for as long as they own it. You would think their treasure trove of channels would give a new owner of DIRECTV endless carraige disputes with big bad "Wolf" AT&T. They do have the upper hand with the purchase of Time Warner's assets. They can dictate the price and stymie the carriage of channels on rival systems. Watch and see what AT&T does. They have been showing their true colors in some past disputes.
Had the original AT&T stayed around, before the SBC buy out. Would they have made these moves buying DTV? This seems like something SBC would do all the time.

I believe T16 was already in the manufacturing stage and too far along to cancel without a huge penalty.

AT&T-err, DeathStar then made yet another dumb move with the launch of T16. Could’ve put that money towards 5G or other services.

That’s actually the only reason I’ve stayed on since DeathStar started running the service into the ground.

Rumors of DBS’s death have been floating around for a while. But the idea that AT&T paid billions for DirecTV just to get a customer list is one of the weakest arguments I can think of.

DirecTV is a closed system, available almost everywhere. Proprietary.

Yes, AT&T is in the internet TV business too. As are a half dozen other indistinguishable players, and soon many more. There is no reason to pick AT&T internet TV over some other provider.

Remember AT&T lost the long distance wars.

At some point in the not too distant future the majority of the US will be wired for high speed Internet or some wireless solution will bring high speed to every house. At that point satellite TV will be doomed because everybody will be able to get any channel they want without satellite and competition between providers should bring prices down. Unfortunately the future looks grim (to me) for DirecTV and Dish and do you think ATT is blind to this?

At some point in the not too distant future the majority of the US will be wired for high speed Internet or some wireless solution will bring high speed to every house. At that point satellite TV will be doomed because everybody will be able to get any channel they want without satellite and competition between providers should bring prices down. Unfortunately the future looks grim (to me) for DirecTV and Dish and do you think ATT is blind to this?

actually prices will go up and be similar to cable/sat withing 5-10 years

If there is a service provider monopoly in some areas maybe, otherwise competition usually drives prices down.

stations will up the rates with streaming services, just like they did with cable
as one income goes down, the other will need to be used to compensate.

Keep in mind none of this is anything that's going to happen next week. Companies the size of AT&T deal in 5, 10, and even 20 year plans. That can be a hindrance sometimes when changing market conditions bump into corporate boards that can be pretty slow to react regarding plan changes. Smaller companies can often be much more flexible. The key of course is not just reacting quickly to market changes, but also making the right decisions with those reactions...

Att doesn't care about satellites...they will either sell them or let them rot in space

Not true. Some DirecTV satellite assets have already changed orbital position for new uses.

You may be surprised to learn some DirecTV satellite assets have already been moved to a new orbital location for a new use, not sold.

They didn't lose..they broke up into smaller pieces and fooled a bunch of people...
Rumors of DBS’s death have been floating around for a while. But the idea that AT&T paid billions for DirecTV just to get a customer list is one of the weakest arguments I can think of.

DirecTV is a closed system, available almost everywhere. Proprietary.

Yes, AT&T is in the internet TV business too. As are a half dozen other indistinguishable players, and soon many more. There is no reason to pick AT&T internet TV over some other provider.

Remember AT&T lost the long distance wars.

According to the CEO during AT&T's recent quarterly call, Directv is still has a free cash flow in excess of $4 billion a year and has totaled $22 billion since the acquisition, so it is still quite profitable. It should be worth somewhere in the $20 to $40 billion range depending on how quickly you assume it will lose further customers.

Even if they want to sell it (which I'm skeptical of) who are the potential buyers? Dish can't afford that - their market cap is under $20 billion. Maybe a private equity firm would be willing to go into partnership with Dish to buy it, but probably not on good terms for either AT&T or Dish.

Reactions: kofi123

I don't for a second believe prices for "Skinny Linear TV" or Streaming TV will ever come down in price. First off the BIG PLAYERS (Content Owners and national Cable/Sat Monopolies) are entrenched with VAST sums of Cash on hand to Stave off competitors.

It costs far far too much money to launch a service and prop it up for years until it turns profitable. Look at all the streaming players, within a year or two most will be GONE GONE GONE. Those that look like they MAY survive have raised rates multiple times as well as dropped content to try to maintain the ability to become profitable. Streaming also DEPENDS on the end user maintaining an internet connection capable of receiving the content, as well as that connection doesn't belong to your streaming company, this means your internet provider COULD use their monopoly status to throttle said service so the end users streaming content is Unusable.

I don't anytime in the near term seeing Internet becoming cheaper and or more widespread for Rural America. 5G will not work for Rural America, DSL won't work, Running COPPER CABLE or less likely FIBER Landlines for VERY LOW Density areas won't work is its just to costly, Maybe a better NON Terrestrial Provider will be able t grab these prospect end users, but I Doubt it.

I for one, see Linear TV staging a comeback in the not to distant future as prices increase and content channels disappear from Streaming services, bundled service will become more attractive.

Satellite has ONE GIANT advantage over all of their competitors, their distribution system is AVAILABLE Nationwide without running any more wires, paying for Pole Licenses, Local governmental fees etc. All that is needed is an onsite Dish at the service location simple easy.

John

Maybe the majority of people that post here have it for sports, but I would bet that many customers are with Directv because they have no other options. I have no cable and slow crappy internet. If SpaceX gets Starlink going then I will ditch Directv in a heartbeat. Until then I'm stuck.

Reactions: Allegen27

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)