Is Directv DVRs that bad?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dish is having enough trouble just keeping their sats in the sky as well as canceling channels & fighting lawsuits left & right.

I to am thinking about getting a dvr I heard there were lots of problems with them at one time have they improved?

I have one standard Directv dvr that died after 1 1/2. They shipped a new one after tech came by and checked it out. My HD DVR HR20 is 1 1/2 years no problems. My wife and I can't imagine life without DVR's.

My HR20-100 is nearly a year old and trouble free. I'm a happy eleven year customer excluding the three months I tried E* and came running back.

Dish vers Directv

I have both DVR the dish 622 and directv dvr. Yes i do think the dish dvr is better a nice sound build. I went from dish to directv because of the mlb package. I would of never made the move if dish would have kept mlb.Everyone else has mlb but not dish.

Ya know Cinci,

These type of forums are notorious for everyone with a complaint or axe to grind to post and do so loudly and often. Shout down those who disagree, tell those who disagree that they are the minority. That their bad experience is the way it ALWAYS is.

If you think about it, When is the last time you went out of your way to praise someone, a company, product or service?

When's the last time you complained about something?

As far as the DVR's, I love my HR21. Does it have some issues? nothings perfect. Does it affect the way I can watch TV. NO Does it affect my overall D* experience, NO. I've been a sub since 1996.

For those that complain... What about the box that sends your complaints to sites like this? Does it ever have issues? Have you ever lost a file? Ever had to "Restart?" ever have to replace a Hard drive?, Bad RAM?, Virus software miss something?

having both i can tell you that yes dish dvr's are better but direct's dvrs aren't bad at all. besides what good is it to have the best dvr and not get all the channels you want or have to be worried if one day you'll wake up to find one of your favorite channels gone because of contract disputes? i've been through all this with E and i'm sick of it. throw on top of the pile of s**t declining hd picture and horrible customer service. E was once great in all of these areas but that's not the case anymore.D will be leaders of HD for a long time. on what has to do with dvr's remember that E has been making their own longer than D. D is getting better at it and soon the comparisons between one and the other on equipment will cease. the differences won't be major. if you want to be ahead in the game of HD for years to come go with D. if you want better treatment from customer service go with D. if you want the best picture go with D. if you want the best dvr go with E but take the good with the bad.

I've had an HR20-700 since Day 1. It started with several bugs but Directv overcame them as quickly as they could. I also participated in the Cutting Edge program since Day 1 and feel that it greatly improved the DVR to the point where I like it better than any Tivo I owned and I've used the Dish 942 and 622. All good DVR's but the Directv one is comparable if not better in many categories. Perfect no, but stable solid and dependable in my house. I know there are always lemons and some people have had trouble but in my house the DVR rocks. I also have an HR20-100 and mine use external 750 GB esata drives. No problems at all.

I had a 622 until i switched to Directv a few months ago and got a HR21 .. have to say - from day one - i preferred the HR21's software ... the guide and navigation and features (on-demand - media player) were - in my opinion - much better than the 622's ... at first i thought the hr21 was a little slower than the 622 .. however - a few months in now and either .. the speed has gotten much better recently .. or else i no longer notice the slight delay when changing channels.

The second room connection on the 622 was not something i ever used ... the pip i never used ... so i did not lose any "crucial" features from the 622 when i made the switch - but do your research - if the second room or the PIP or anything else that dish has that directv cannot do is something that you ave GOT TO have ... don't make the switch - but ultimately .. only you can decide what features you want and what features and programming you need .. and only you can decide if making the switch is worth the loss of whatever feature you have heard that other people consider to be crucial.

I have mentioned and I am not bitching, just looking for help.

I didn't mean to single you out, there are many people here that want help and we try when we can, I can't help everyone, but lots of times the next guy can. Generally you'll find some pretty knowledgeable people here.

If we can't find a way to get your issues solved, then a tech would have to be sent out, hopefully we can fix it before that happens.

Jimbo

I had a 622 until i switched to Directv a few months ago and got a HR21 .. have to say - from day one - i preferred the HR21's software ... the guide and navigation and features (on-demand - media player) were - in my opinion - much better than the 622's ... at first i thought the hr21 was a little slower than the 622 .. however - a few months in now and either .. the speed has gotten much better recently .. or else i no longer notice the slight delay when changing channels.

The second room connection on the 622 was not something i ever used ... the pip i never used ... so i did not lose any "crucial" features from the 622 when i made the switch - but do your research - if the second room or the PIP or anything else that dish has that directv cannot do is something that you ave GOT TO have ... don't make the switch - but ultimately .. only you can decide what features you want and what features and programming you need .. and only you can decide if making the switch is worth the loss of whatever feature you have heard that other people consider to be crucial.

One of the biggest complaint when the HR series first came out (other than no OTA originally) was the lack of the Dual Live Buffer, many could not due without, most have adapted ok, yes it would be nice to have, but not a deal breaker.

Jimbo

If it's that bad, then you ought to just quit D* and go back to the EVERYTHING under the Sun guy's.
What exactly does DISH have programming wise that D* doesn't that makes the "Everything else under the sun " statement.

Lets see, Dish does NOT have Sports and DISH does have movies, but D* is slowly catching up in that area. Oh ya, btw, D* has a plan for LOCALS and DISH has lawsuits to deal with over thier locala, so ya DISH has D* beat clearly in every area, except I could not find any.

IF ya just don't like D*, thats fine, DON'T come here just to bash them because your bored.... Bring something with you... Everyone can say that D*'s dvr's suk, sure they can, but these are usually people that do not have them anymore or those that do not want to adjust to the NEW stuff D* has.

Jimbo

I'd expect more original thought from someone located in NW Ohio and flying that flag. I'm relaying my experience with D*'s DVR, which is what I believe was the question asked by the OP. It almost seems as if you are taking it personally. Like someone is bashing you because they have had bad experiences with D*. It's very childish actually.

I'd expect more original thought from someone located in NW Ohio and flying that flag. I'm relaying my experience with D*'s DVR, which is what I believe was the question asked by the OP. It almost seems as if you are taking it personally. Like someone is bashing you because they have had bad experiences with D*. It's very childish actually.

I've had enough bashing of me in other threads, I can take it.

If I am wrong, I can handle that.

I responded to you that way, because you made it sound like you were definatly gone and had nothing but trouble, if someone dosn't want to try to figure it out then theres not much we can do for them.
You gave the impression that ALL equipment was bad and thats just NOT true.

As for the OP, we will help if we can.
The OP has not been back to post any changes or other info since his original post.

Jimbo

I didn't mean to single you out, there are many people here that want help and we try when we can, I can't help everyone, but lots of times the next guy can. Generally you'll find some pretty knowledgeable people here.

If we can't find a way to get your issues solved, then a tech would have to be sent out, hopefully we can fix it before that happens.

Jimbo

Thanks. I love my D**tv just want it to work smooth. Thanks for all the help guys.
The techs who have come out have less knowledge of the system then I and that does not say much.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts