Is DirecTV still a thing?

I'm still a subscriber lol

But I agree haven't seen any adverts in a long time

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Justy5
I cant tell you the last time I saw either advertise?...and when was the last time I saw one of those odd sling tv ads?...been probably fall?

I’m still getting them. And now, I’m getting a lot of texts offering “make enhancements” - only they don’t bother using that euphemism.

I rarely ever get a D* (or 3rd party) calling me for anything.
Now I get all the other ones, of course .... fixing my Credit score .. which there is nothing to fix.
Extending my Vehicle warranty, which I still have another few years on available to me.
Ext, ext.....

Reactions: AZ.
I haven't seen any advertisements for DirecTV in a while. Is it still a thing?
AT&T stated a couple years ago that, once they launched AT&T TV, their plan would be to mainly market DirecTV only to areas without widespread broadband (i.e. rural America). AT&T TV, as you may know, is essentially a DirecTV-like cable TV service that streams over any internet connection. In fact, it looks like it will soon be renamed to "DirecTV Stream".

Both services are about to be spun off from AT&T to a separate company called DirecTV. I expect that most of their advertising will be for DirecTV Stream, not the traditional satellite service. Although the satellite service will remain the exclusive home of NFL Sunday Ticket this year and next, so they may do a bit of advertising for it around that.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. These words are usually credited to the acclaimed genius Albert Einstein.

I would imagine that you'll see more D* advertising come August, seeing thats a Big month for the Sunday Ticket. (still thiers for another year or so at least)

Reactions: dtv757
I imagine that marketing budget got cut too . They use to have the best commercials

Like the one from star trek VI.

"I got the Sunday ticket. "

And many others.

That one last year where it was like a video game was lame I thought

The industry is in a different place than 2005. People know about the technology, don’t fall for Big Cable’s lies about “rain fade” and other such nonsense. Local channels have been rolled out for 99% of the country (used to be a big issue in DBS’s early days and in the BUD days). The industry is mature.

Thus huge roll out ad campaigns are not needed anymore. People either want the luxury of DirecTV, or they accept something less and save the money.

A little off topic but I think "average jo " still believe cables lies ..

If they didn't (believe cables lies) I feel more would choose FTTH (where available) .

I still enjoy my D* service . !!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbo

If they didn't (believe cables lies) I feel more would choose FTTH (where available) .

I think FTTH does pretty well where it's available. The problem is that cable is almost always an entrenched competitor in those areas where FTTH shows up and a lot of consumers just stick with what they have if it works well enough. AT&T Fiber's goal is to eventually get 50% of the business in neighborhoods where it's available but they expect it will take a few years to get there after initially becoming available.

I fail to see that considering there is a really really really poor companies that offer FTTH. You really should do more research on this before spouting off every time

I fail to see that considering there is a really really really poor companies that offer FTTH. You really should do more research on this before spouting off every time
WTH ....
There are REALLY REALLY POOR CABLE companies all over the place.
You too might want to do your research before Spouting off.

There is No Reason to jump on someone for thier opinion.

Reactions: raoul5788
WTH ....
There are REALLY REALLY POOR CABLE companies all over the place.
You too might want to do your research before Spouting off.

There is No Reason to jump on someone for thier opinion.

there is both. And yes there is

The industry is in a different place than 2005. People know about the technology, don’t fall for Big Cable’s lies about “rain fade” and other such nonsense. Local channels have been rolled out for 99% of the country (used to be a big issue in DBS’s early days and in the BUD days). The industry is mature.

Thus huge roll out ad campaigns are not needed anymore. People either want the luxury of DirecTV, or they accept something less and save the money.
I've had satellite TV since 2004. I don't know about the other big lies, but rain fade is a thing for me. If I didn't have OTA to fall back on I'd have gone back to cable long ago.

Rain fade, as we all know, happens far less than 1% of the time.

Understand where Big Cable was and how it came to be. CATV. Rural people could not get TV, so some crook started a CATV company. The mantra and the motto from day one was to provide the least possible service at the highest possible cost. Because they had a monopoly. Ghost filled pictures, multi-path interference, long service outages. Arrogant staff. Evil.

Then came first the BUD, and the wonderful DBS. Death from above. Perfect picture, all the channels you want. Wonderful.

So Big Cable had to say SOMETHING. “We treated you like garbage for decades because you had no choice, but stick with us and our totally inferior service now that you do” is not much of a marketing slogan. So they came up with various lies, chief among them the idea that “rain fade” happens often enough to matter.

• Love
Reactions: TheTechGuru

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)