Is Dish downgrading the audio on movies?

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I have messed with this audio for a week and it sure looks to me like Dish is not sending the original audio like Dolby 5.1.

I watched Lone Survivor again and my AVR shows the audio at PCM - 2 channel and no surround. That movie is in 5.1 and you will be counting the bullet holes in the walls if you watch it with the correct sound.

Is there any way possible to get a definitive answer about Dish audio? So far, it really seems poor. I don't have optical but can not imagine why it would not be available on the HDMI if it is present.

I have messed with this audio for a week and it sure looks to me like Dish is not sending the original audio like Dolby 5.1.

I watched Lone Survivor again and my AVR shows the audio at PCM - 2 channel and no surround. That movie is in 5.1 and you will be counting the bullet holes in the walls if you watch it with the correct sound.

Is there any way possible to get a definitive answer about Dish audio? So far, it really seems poor. I don't have optical but can not imagine why it would not be available on the HDMI if it is present.
? I have for years and continue to have 5.1 If no one was getting 5.1 imagine the threads. Did the channel info indicate it was being transmitted in 5.1?

I did it as Dish on Demand and believe it was FXM

OK ... maybe this is the issue but I don't see it with some HOB either. It is difficult to see what the station is transmitting. Where to look for this?

Also, can someone provide me a movie that you know is in 5.1 or 7.1 and I can play it and see what my equipment reports.

I have a theater in my new home and all of the equipment is new. Could be my Denon AVR too. I don't have the Blu Ray going yet.

Thanks much

I did it as Dish on Demand and believe it was FXM

OK ... maybe this is the issue but I don't see it with some HOB either. It is difficult to see what the station is transmitting. Where to look for this?

Also, can someone provide me a movie that you know is in 5.1 or 7.1 and I can play it and see what my equipment reports.

I have a theater in my new home and all of the equipment is new. Could be my Denon AVR too. I don't have the Blu Ray going yet.

Thanks much

I found I was having this issue with some of the titles on Epix. Every once in a while a title I know I've seen before in 5.1 would be 2 channel.

I went back and found a couple of movies that are 5.1 but they play off of Dish in 2 channel PCM. I went to Amazon and got the same result with the same movies.

Really frustrating. I will get the Blu Ray installed and buy a movie.

? I have for years and continue to have 5.1 If no one was getting 5.1 imagine the threads. Did the channel info indicate it was being transmitted in 5.1?
I don't think I have ever seen channel info from Dish about the audio - where might this be?

Receiver is set to Dolby and dynamic is wide for the audio system ... narrow if a small soundbar or the TV.

I went back and found a couple of movies that are 5.1 but they play off of Dish in 2 channel PCM. I went to Amazon and got the same result with the same movies.

Really frustrating. I will get the Blu Ray installed and buy a movie.
Be very specific, what movies are they and did you do on demand epix or one of the epix channels.

Be very specific, what movies are they and did you do on demand epix or one of the epix channels.
I don't remember the name of one it was with Gene Hackman. The other was American Assassin. I did not do epix because it was a on demand pay $$$$

I will look at the epix channels tomorrow ... I have Dish everything so I should get it.

Everything I listen to on my avr is correct ie if it says Dolby Digital it is Dolby Digital.If it says stereo it is stereo with one exception-my local CBS.I detailed that issue in another thread and if any one cares DIRT sent a report to technical and the reply was ...(wait for it)...... nothing. SURPRISE!

OK, I spent some time on this. I went to the FXM channel, 384, and it was showing Prometheus. It was in DD 5.1 as shown on my Denon AVR and my Denon app on my iPad. I brought up the same movie on FXM On Demand and it shows stereo. So, I looked at 10 movies available On Demand with FXM and they are all stereo. It appears tha FXM is not passing 5.1 on the OD films. Considering other channels are passing 5.1 OD just fine I have to put the ball in FXMs court.

Reactions: rexlan and Tampa8
I don't think I have ever seen channel info from Dish about the audio - where might this be?
Well I realize since the new guide provider it no longer gives that info. Back when 5.1 was less used it stood out in the description that HBO channel 300 and 303 were in 5.1. (Not the other HBO channels) As more channels used it I just stopped looking to see.

Sent from my KFDOWI using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)