Is Disney having second thoughts?

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
What else could this mean?
Walt Disney Home Entertainment, a major Hollywood studio and one of the strongest backers of Blu-ray disc format, voted for approval of a preliminary specification of 51GB triple-layer HD DVD media, just like all the backers of HD DVD and unlike some other backers of Blu-ray Association within the DVD Forum, who typically abstain in HD DVD-related votes.
X-bit labs - Disney Votes for 51GB HD DVD Media Approval.

Diogen.

They are the only BD company that doesn't abstain from voting. They've pretty much voted on every HD DVD issue. You notice that Sony and 3 other companies voted no on the CHD DVD, while the rest abstained and Disney voted yes?

S~

I kind of take that back. Disney abstained from one of the China votes. Sony was the only company to vote no on that one. They did vote for standard Contents Video Specs and File system.

http://www.dvdforum.org/images/39th_Confirmed_Minutes_of_Sep_12_07_SC_Meeting.pdf

Amir did post in one of the insiders threads that Disney was showed the triple layer disc and interactivity and they were impressed.

S~

Amir did post in one of the insiders threads that Disney was showed the triple layer disc and interactivity and they were impressed.
IIRC, Disney and Microsoft created HDi (iHD at that time). And Disney actually brought HDi to a vote in BDA and lost.

But I had the impression the gulf between Disney and HD was widening. Not sure anymore...

Diogen.

IIRC, Disney and Microsoft created HDi (iHD at that time). And Disney actually brought HDi to a vote in BDA and lost.

But I had the impression the gulf between Disney and HD was widening. Not sure anymore...

Diogen.

I do realize that they were in on the development. It's been so long, they forgot what it looks like. Oh yeah, but it's not important. Forgot, sorry :D

S~

I think they are keeping their options open. Voting for the 51gb is smart if they have to eat it and go neutral. Lets face it, regardless of what everyone says about the 30gb, the 51gb gives much more freedom.

I think they are keeping their options open. Voting for the 51gb is smart if they have to eat it and go neutral. Lets face it, regardless of what everyone says about the 30gb, the 51gb gives much more freedom.

At this point, anyone on either side who is not leaving the door open at least a little is just plain stupid. I imagine most of them are, whether we hear about it or not.

I'm in the BD camp, but I say the more that go neutral the better. The more ability consumers have to get all their movies in one format or the other, the more that will go HD... leading to lower prices ultimately.

A smart businessman never puts all his eggs in one basket and Disney, while pretty solid in the BD camp, maintains its right to vote on things as they see fit. They are not the Lemmings everyone thinks they are. If they see money, they are going to eventually jump in. Look at how long it took them to make the move onto DVD. They were just about the last major studio to do so.

Very true!! Except there are some Redblood Bone heads who say 30 is enough?? I guess it's not!! Duh..

Isn't it true that you need a new player that supports the 51 gb disc spec? Do the new toshiba players play these discs? The only reason I like blu ray better is the storage. More storage, means more episodes on a disc. I hate getting up and chaning discs. So whoever has more storage has more content on that disc and has my vote. I only bought my HD DVD for smallville season 5 and the matrix trilogy. I am upset that the HD smallville is 5 discs and the Blu Ray is only 4 with the same content.

Isn't it true that you need a new player that supports the 51 gb disc spec? Do the new toshiba players play these discs? The only reason I like blu ray better is the storage. More storage, means more episodes on a disc. I hate getting up and chaning discs. So whoever has more storage has more content on that disc and has my vote. I only bought my HD DVD for smallville season 5 and the matrix trilogy. I am upset that the HD smallville is 5 discs and the Blu Ray is only 4 with the same content.

There's only conjecture out right now as to if it will play on existing players, no facts. We'll find out soon.

I'm in the BD camp, but I say the more that go neutral the better. The more ability consumers have to get all their movies in one format or the other, the more that will go HD... leading to lower prices ultimately.

I also think this is the fastest way to end the format war. If everything is available on both formats, one will become dominant very quickly.

I honestly don't mean this a snippity as it will undoubtedly sound, but the first thing that crossed my mind reading you comment was - don't you ever get up out of the chair for a bathroom or kitchen break? :tux:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts