Is DLP on the way out

Let me know when they make a DLP that doesn't require bulb replacement.
Samsung has had LED DLPs for over two years now. The new ones coming out next month are third generation LED, no bulb or color wheel.

Last edited:
Samsung has had LED DLPs for over two years now. The new ones coming out next month are fourth generation LED, no bulb or color wheel.
So The 4th Generation LED is the ones without the bulbs or color wheel? What about the ones from the last 2 years? I'm not quite sure I follow you.

The main problem is when you go in the store and compair the DLP to the LCD and Plasmas and the picture looks like crap.
That's because most stores don't put the DLPs at eye level. DLPs have a high gain screen which will look dim and washed out when viewed above or below about 20 degrees from horizontal.

So The 4th Generation LED is the ones without the bulbs or color wheel? What about the ones from the last 2 years? I'm not quite sure I follow you.
All the LED DLPs don't have bulbs or color wheels including the older ones. they have red, green and blue LEDs instead and sequence them. Oops, I meant to say the new ones are third generation. They are twice as bright as first generation and come in 61 and 67 inch for '08.

Whats the lifespan? and how much do they cost?
The LED supplier is saying 60,000 hours, they are three or four hundred more than the bulb version of the same set. You should be able to find the 61 inch for a little over 2K.

I bought both a 56" and a 61" '07 bulb sets. Last year the bulb units were a little brighter, especially off axis and I saved about 800 bucks. To me, picture quality is more important than the need to replace a bulb. The new '08 models should be equal to the bulb sets in picture quality since they have LEDs that are 30% brighter than the '07 models.

Last edited:
What is it 60,000 or 20,000? 20,000 not worth it then since I got 12,000 out of my old Sony KDF-E50a10 and it cost $199 for the bulb with a total cost for the TV and the bulb of $1800. I don't see the point then. Philips claims My LCD Ambilight will last 60,000 hours.My Sony XBR as well. I paid $4000 for the Sony,But the Philips was only $1500 with a 3 year warranty its no 61 inch but I've not seen any DLP thats PQ is even close. I gotta tell you This Philips Ambilight is damn near close to my Sonys PQ. Anyone that I've Know with DLPs has had bulbs replaced well before what they claim it will last.

20,000 was for first generation LEDs. I checked the manufactures website, on the homepage is the statement; "The median operating lifetime of PhlatLight™ LEDs exceeds 120,000 hours"
Environmentally Friendly Alternative to Traditional Bulbs in Electronics
It would come down to PQ then Because I may keep my TV for 5 years ,but doubt it would ever be in my house for 6 years. I don't know anyone with one of these LED TV's. Anyone I know with a Samsung has a Flat panel LCD. Most likly I wouldn't buy any Rear Projection anymore. Whats the point?

It would come down to PQ then Because I may keep my TV for 5 years ,but doubt it would ever be in my house for 6 years. I don't know anyone with one of these LED TV's. Anyone I know with a Samsung has a Flat panel LCD. Most likly I wouldn't buy any Rear Projection anymore. Whats the point?

Well, I have a Sony KDF46E2000 LCD rear projection in our gameroom and it's a great set for the price. When I purchased it there wasn't anything else out there at it's price point that was getting as good reviews for the screen size. If you don't need the sexiness of flat panel RP can be a good alternative at a good price.

And twice the size. might as well get a front projector

I like watching TV in normal rooms, not a special darkened theater room. Any ambient light and front projection looses all blacks and looks washed out. My 61" Samsung DLP is in the bedroom with eight windows and I watch for hours in the morning with the shades open, no problem.

Well, I have a Sony KDF46E2000 LCD rear projection in our gameroom and it's a great set for the price. When I purchased it there wasn't anything else out there at it's price point that was getting as good reviews for the screen size. If you don't need the sexiness of flat panel RP can be a good alternative at a good price.
I'm not totally disagreeing,I had the same tv as you mine was a 50" and a year older. It was Nice,but like anything else,Its getting old. Quite frankly A friend of mine has a 60" Sony 1080p Lcos. And HD is great but SD Sucks. I would rather spend alittle more money on a 52" LCD or plasma thats looks acceptable in SD and Fantastic in HD,Then buy a 70" Rear Projection that you can see every single imperfection on the screen because its less money.

I'm not totally disagreeing,I had the same tv as you mine was a 50" and a year older. It was Nice,but like anything else,Its getting old. Quite frankly A friend of mine has a 60" Sony 1080p Lcos. And HD is great but SD Sucks. I would rather spend alittle more money on a 52" LCD or plasma thats looks acceptable in SD and Fantastic in HD,Then buy a 70" Rear Projection that you can see every single imperfection on the screen because its less money.

Why not save even more money and just purchase a DLP at the size you would get the LCD or plasma? I personally would not spend the extra money as I already have a entertainment unit that fits my 50" DLP perfect.

I like watching TV in normal rooms, not a special darkened theater room. Any ambient light and front projection looses all blacks and looks washed out.

My projector does a great job in a well light room with out looking washed out. Just my opinion though.

Why not save even more money and just purchase a DLP at the size you would get the LCD or plasma? I personally would not spend the extra money as I already have a entertainment unit that fits my 50" DLP perfect.
I Understand that but my point is ,I don't like spending money on lightbulbs or spinning rainbow colored wheels,which is why its not for me!

I Understand that but my point is ,I don't like spending money on lightbulbs or spinning rainbow colored wheels,which is why its not for me!

I see your point but you also state that you only keep your TV's for about 5 years. The price of the set and one light bulb will still be much less than a good LCP or plasma. I have had my DLP for 2 years and have not replaced the bulb yet and the picture still looks great. If you are only going to keep the TV for the 5 year period you would probably spend less on the DLP and bulbs. I guess I like to be a little more frugal with my money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)