Is DLP on the way out

nmfiredawg

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2007
Was wondering if LCD is going to be taking over. Here is my reasoning for this.

Was at Sam's club, and Costco and they are not carrying DLP anymore (Except for the 73 in at Costco)

Looking at other stores the number of DLP units dwarfs to the amount of LCD and then plasmas.

I love my 56 Samsung 1080P and then I got a Vizio LCD. The prices are coming down on LCD and the better quality. Plasmas had the advantage over LCD for the larger size but I think LCD is even taking over those.

Maybe all these stores are pushing the LCD cause everyone likes the fact you can hang it up.

Rear projection market is having some problems. Sony pulled out of the market last year, it is getting too hard to make money. The problem rear projection faces is that the prices of LCDs and plasmas are still falling fast. Also they are growing in size.

This forces rear projection to abandon the smaller sizes (less than 50") and cut the price way down. There are several years left in the market for the very large sizes. I do not see a 70" LCD or plasma coming very soon at a reasonable price. I do see sub 60" going to flat panels in a year or two. 58" plasmas are already under 3k. I can see them hitting 2k in a year. Sam's has a 65" LCD for $3500 now.

If people have the choice between flat panel or rear projection for the same size and near the same price, flat panel wins hands down.

I've got to agree w/Mike123abc, and I have a 61" RPTV.

Rear projection gets you a larger screen at a lower price. And I certainly can't complain about the PQ. Mine is an LCoS unit- a JVC DiLA HDTV. The only drawback is that it's about 18" deep, and won't hang on the wall. Considering that you still need an equipment rack to feed the thing, I'm not sure there's much to be gained by hanging it on the wall. I think most thin TVs end up just sitting on a stand anyway, pretty much negating the thinness angle.

One really nice thing about RPTVs is that when the bulb burns out, a new one will restore your TV to as good as new, PQ wise. LCDs and plasmas slowly degrade over the years.

DLPs in particular have had the problem of color wheels or spinning prisms or such, with the result that some people see rainbows or get headaches. Most don't, but many get spooked by the possibility that it could be a problem for them, their family, or guests.

LEDs hold out some hope for replacing color wheels and extending the product lifespan, but the first such on the market was a disappointment.

I'm afraid RPTVs will continue to dwindle in market share. Perhaps they shall hang around as a niche product, or the price-performance product of choice in the 70" range. At least, until OLEDs become that large, and cheaper.

Yeah the larger ones are still expensive in 65 to 73 inch. I love my picture on my 56in samsung DLP. And like people say people want the slim one, but most people still put them on a stand because of DVDs sat/cable receiver, audio. So why not have something that is 18in deep. No if you are going to hang it, run the cables to another room then great. My friend ran all his cables to an area away from his plasma and hung it above the fireplace. But he is not big into HD yet either.

The main problem is when you go in the store and compair the DLP to the LCD and Plasmas and the picture looks like crap.

The DLP's do provide a nice lowcost alternative if all your intrested is in getting the largest screen for your buck, but I really think plasma and LCD are the way to go these days.

Whats really sad is that the smaller CRT sets are becoming harder and harder to find. Not for anything, but besides the physical size of the set the picture on a smaller CRT set beats LCD hands down!

The main problem is when you go in the store and compair the DLP to the LCD and Plasmas and the picture looks like crap.

The DLP's do provide a nice lowcost alternative if all your intrested is in getting the largest screen for your buck, but I really think plasma and LCD are the way to go these days.

Whats really sad is that the smaller CRT sets are becoming harder and harder to find. Not for anything, but besides the physical size of the set the picture on a smaller CRT set beats LCD hands down!

I've never liked plasmas. I've only seen 2 models that I though looked good. 1 Panasonic and 1 Visio. Most have a grainy quality to the picture, and the images aren't very lifelike. Poor color transitions, etc. OTOH, some of the new LCDs are stunning in their brightness and clean, smooth, "looking out the window" realism. DLPs, for me, seem to have great picture quality, but are a bit dim for many applications. Although, there is a new DLP technology around the corner. Some kind of 3-D picture technology. Looks interesting.

Mitsubishi is going to have a Laser DLP this year.

A salesman told me back in early 2007 that by the fall of that year MITS would have a laser out and he was holding off to get one. Now it is 2008 and yet no laser. Yea, they are supposed to be coming. By the time they get out and then with the time it takes for prices to come down, larger LCD's will be out and lasers will bomb out. They waited TOO LONG!

To me the picture of DLP stomps LCD into the ground. Plasma beats both, of course. Everything is going to LCD due to the smaller form factor. The laser will help DLP, but I don't think prices will be competitive enough to compete with LCD.

My samsung DLP looks great against most LCD tvs and plasma runs to hot for me. My DLP gets warm due to the bulb, but the plasma I have seen run really hot. I have enough heat down here without adding to it. Of course in winter I could just buy a plasma and use it as a heater and TV at the same time. Hmmm think my accountant (wife) would buy that!?

I look at just about every hd tv out there, hands down rear projection DLP have the best picture. So I bought a Mitsubishi 57 inch. It's awesome.

Just bought the new Samsung 61" LED DLP 1080P, the picture is just awsome and the colors are just incredible and the black's are very good and ajustable! Love it!!

To me the picture of DLP stomps LCD into the ground. Plasma beats both, of course.

I disagree. I see a lot of TVs in my line of work, and plasmas almost always had the poorest overall picture quality. I can't see why so many people rave about them. Yeah, they have excellent blacks, but other than that, the picture quality is really sub-par to me.

Rear projection market is having some problems. Sony pulled out of the market last year, it is getting too hard to make money. The problem rear projection faces is that the prices of LCDs and plasmas are still falling fast. Also they are growing in size.

This forces rear projection to abandon the smaller sizes (less than 50") and cut the price way down. There are several years left in the market for the very large sizes. I do not see a 70" LCD or plasma coming very soon at a reasonable price. I do see sub 60" going to flat panels in a year or two. 58" plasmas are already under 3k. I can see them hitting 2k in a year. Sam's has a 65" LCD for $3500 now.

If people have the choice between flat panel or rear projection for the same size and near the same price, flat panel wins hands down.
Let me know when I can get a quality 57" 1080p LCD for the same price as a DLP, not some POS Olevia CRAP

Toshiba 57LX177 LCD TV - In Stock at OneCall.com $5700 Dollars
Mitsubishi WD-57733 Projection TV - In Stock at OneCall.com $1500 dollars

:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)