Is DLP on the way out

I have no problem paying $200-300 dollars every few years and ending up with a virtually new TV. Try that with your dead LCD pixels or faded Plasma set.

I bought a new bulb directly from GTE/Osram in China. Replaced it myself, total cost $99.

As said, I do not mind spending $99 every 2-3 years and 10 minutes time.

I have a Mits 63" and I even got to the bulb from the front of the set.

I have no problem paying $200-300 dollars every few years and ending up with a virtually new TV. Try that with your dead LCD pixels or faded Plasma set.
What nothing else breaks or wears out? OK! Faded Plamas , In what 10- 15 years or 30,000 hours.. Dead pixels Com'on 1 in 100,000 have had that happen, DLP's don't have pixels! I know of no one that has had any issues with LCD Flat panel TV's Not even the cheap ones. Everyone I know that had a Rear projection of some type, myself included has changed a bulb, and then kicked it to the curb, for a Flat Panel.

Last edited:
LCDs do fade over time, even if very few pixels die. And backlights on some are not replaceable, period. That's where their life will be limited. Sure, you'll get at least 10 years out of it. Or most people will. And I'll admit that in today's fast paced progress in display technologies, many of us won't keep the same TV for primary viewing for 10 years.

But I know when I move my LCoS based RPTV to another room, it'll have many years as a secondary TV, with bulb replacements every 3-5 years. It might well outlive me. Or serve somebody else as their main TV for many years, should I chose to sell it or give it away.

The only other part that might wear out is the cooling fan. Not a problem.

I'm with Vurbano on this one.

When did Toshiba announce they were no longer making DLP's? The same goes for Hitachi with LCD projection TV's?
I read it in the article..
" It looks like all backorders for the KDSZ70XBR5 are being canceled, as the unit will never be manufactured, and Sony's making a "no promises" effort to fill backorders for the KDF46E3000 and KDS60A3000. The move isn't exactly unprecedented or even all that surprising -- Toshiba, Philips and Hitachi have all stopped producing rear-projection sets, but Sony's SXRDs were still extremely popular and it's strange to see them get dropped just like that

I read it in the article..
" It looks like all backorders for the KDSZ70XBR5 are being canceled, as the unit will never be manufactured, and Sony's making a "no promises" effort to fill backorders for the KDF46E3000 and KDS60A3000. The move isn't exactly unprecedented or even all that surprising -- Toshiba, Philips and Hitachi have all stopped producing rear-projection sets, but Sony's SXRDs were still extremely popular and it's strange to see them get dropped just like that

So when did Toshiba announce it? It might be right but I normally don't take blogs as proof.

Rear projection will eventually fail even if you keep replacing the bulbs. Color wheels, electronics, Samsung mirrors's tape coming lose and falling, etc. The actual life of LCD, Plasma, and DLP is probably much closer that people think. Plasma is now up to 100k hours until half brightness. LCD backlights should go 50-60k hours. Other components will most likely fail first (like powersupplies, good luck getting parts in 5 years).

Rear projection will eventually fail even if you keep replacing the bulbs. Color wheels, electronics, Samsung mirrors's tape coming lose and falling, etc. The actual life of LCD, Plasma, and DLP is probably much closer that people think. Plasma is now up to 100k hours until half brightness. LCD backlights should go 50-60k hours. Other components will most likely fail first (like powersupplies, good luck getting parts in 5 years).

My JVC LCoS set has no color wheel or moving mirrors. No history of fixed mirrors coming loose. No moving parts at all, save for a cooling fan. And it has a great picture. A 61" picture. I can't see going smaller than that at 12', but I might go larger. Maybe I'll get a 70 incher if they go on close out. I doubt any technology will give me 70 inches at anything near the price of a projection TV for many, many years.

Electronics? Yep, that's a crap shoot. I bought a Sony 27" CRT on Guam and in less than 5 years the power and volume switches had problems. No replacement parts. It has a great picture still, and thank god for the remote. OH- BTW, there's a known problem with the remote. Sometimes it doesn't work. But that's a known problem with the device in the TV- which, oddly enough, might still be available. So, that's one TV that might be headed for Sally Ann.

Unless Mitsubishi comes out with a top-notch, competitively priced Laser DLP, the RPTV DLP may be history. While I love my Diamond RPTV CRT, I am not happy with the reliability, servicability and customer service with my 1 year old Diamond DLP. As it stands now, my wife said our next set is a Sony or at least not a Mitsubishi. Additionally, I got the impression Mitsubishi's 65" Laser DLP would be priced in the $4000-$4500 range when it hits the streets this fall. However, if their top of the line models aren't priced in the $3000-$3500 range I doubt most people will look at them when they will be able to get a 60 plasma for around $4k this Christmas. But perhaps the slim-line laser DLP will find a niche in the 65-80" inch range.

We have a 3 year old Sony LCos that rocks! I wish that I had picked up an XBR2 last year.

Hey, I am still waiting on my SED....:confused::rolleyes:

Everyone I know that had a Rear projection of some type, myself included has changed a bulb, and then kicked it to the curb, for a Flat Panel.
Everyone I know had to change a bulb (or two), too.
And all those still are amazed why people pay twice for flat panels (per screen inch) to get the same picture quality as their DLP.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)