Is everyone dropping platinum?

Kevinw

Just a regular guy
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
I called DISH about couple of things. The first being I thought my bill was to high- 93 dollars.
I had Silver Hd with DVR Classic, Platinum HD Locals, 2 622's and an 811.

I started my conversation with why is Nick not available in the Turbo HD. I also wanted to know why dropping programming would increase the junk fees. So after going round and round she transferred my states side to a young lady in retention to help. The stateside CSR could not believe Nick was not available in the HD only packages and said it made no sense to her.
She suggested I drop Platinum to save 10 dollars. She then offered an additional 15 per month off for a year to drop my bill 25 dollars. She then added Cinemax for a penny.
I was originally going drop programming to Turbosilver HD but I would have only saved about 13 dollars because of the junk fees and not have Nick in HD.
Turned into a pretty good call but what I though was funny is that both the overseas and stateside CSRs suggested dropping Platinum to save money.

Since i am dropping Netflix also, I thought the Cinemax for a penny was a good deal.
Have fun with that. One penny gets you 2 dozen rotated you rarely want to see. Stick with Netfilx.

Have fun with that. One penny gets you 2 dozen rotated you rarely don't want to see. Stick with Netfilx.

May not matter Since I will be working 6 days and nights a week for a while. Opening a restaurant. Should be good for the repetitive Skinamax features:eek:

I'm actually considering dropping my 250 everything package down to the 100+ package.
I can save $60/month by doing so. And I have more than enough movies on my DVR to keep be happy without premium channels.

Got rid of my platinum a while back. Best $10 I have ever saved!

The problem is, if you are a Hockey Fan, you need Platinum to get the NHL Network, so they got some of us suckered for it. However, when I called them and told them I had to save some money or was gonna have to switch to cable, I must admit a stateside CSR by the name of Byron worked like a tiger to help reduce my bill, and in the end gave me a $20 credit per month for a year, with no new contract or strings attached.

So in reality they are bending over backwards to fight their churn rate. Now, if they would only add MSG's in HD for fall, there would never be any temptation to leave.

Yep part of the reason I was stuck between a rock and hard place is that my kids want Nick and you cant get it with the HD only packs:(

After looking at the movie choices for this week I have to say Cinemax should be free. Nothing released within the last 2 years and repetitive. I am sure I'll get my penny's worth;) and I'll get as much use out of it as the Platinum package. Even free things may not be worth it.

I dropped platinum about 2 weeks ago.I havent missed it at all:).Its not worth the 10 dollars a month.If dish would drop it to 5 dollars a month I might get it back.

After looking at the movie choices for this week I have to say Cinemax should be free. Nothing released within the last 2 years and repetitive. I am sure I'll get my penny's worth;) and I'll get as much use out of it as the Platinum package. Even free things may not be worth it.
You need to check the guide again. Sat night is the premiere of The Strangers, which was released in theatres on May 30, 2008, not even 1 year ago. There are also other "less than 2 year old releases" on Cinemax all of the time.
I am not saying it is worth 12-14 dollars a month, But definitely 1 cent A YEAR .

You need to check the guide again. Sat night is the premiere of The Strangers, which was released in theatres on May 30, 2008, not even 1 year ago. There are also other "less than 2 year old releases" on Cinemax all of the time.
I am not saying it is worth 12-14 dollars a month, But definitely 1 cent A YEAR .

I was exaggerating a bit. But not a lot currently playing at 11:00 am EST
IceMan 1984, Doors 1991, Micheal Clayton 2007, Darkman -1990
Followed by The Quest 1991, Saving Silverman 2001, New Jersey Drive 1995, The Beach 2000 BUT there is American Gangster, Speed Racer and Deception from 2008
Again for free I get 12 movies a year out of it:D

I'll probably drop it tonight. Can you downgrade online or do you have to call it in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)