Is FIOS that GOOD ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ewindowman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 19, 2006
Verizon just started to sign up customers for tv in my area and I do not know if I should switch from comcast to verizon?Is fios that good.

Depends what you want. If you want fuzzy analog channels to all of your TVs without a digital box on each one of them, then no. Otherwise, likely yes.

PQ is significantly better PQ on SD, and about the same on HD. More channels, lower cost, better DVR interface (still not very good, but better than Comcast's SA DVR), faster more reliable internet, etc.

I'ld say give it a shot unless you have a bunch of SD TVs and just want to keep using analog.

-John

I would say YES! I haven't regretted switching from DirecTV to FiOS at all. Better picture and a better package of channels for a lower price.

Thanks for the info . I called verizon To get Fios tv and will Have to wait about 4 weeks. 2 dvrs 1 reg box about 87.00 with movie package a big discount over comcast. I hope verizon keeps the price low .

I've had DirecTV for 5 years and have to say I love it. The picture quality was always better than the Comcast signal I used to have. But now I have FIOS internet and phone, and TV has just become available.

Is it worth switching over? Is the picture quality that much better? I have 2 things holding me back, One, I still have some time left on my 2 year agreement, so it'll cost me a little $$$ to get out of DTV, and 2, I don't have HD yet, but will be getting in in the not so distant future.

Which is better for HD? I know DTV is adding a boat load of channels in the second half of this year, but does that mean everyone will be adding the same channels?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've had DirecTV for 5 years and have to say I love it. The picture quality was always better than the Comcast signal I used to have. But now I have FIOS internet and phone, and TV has just become available.

Is it worth switching over? Is the picture quality that much better? I have 2 things holding me back, One, I still have some time left on my 2 year agreement, so it'll cost me a little $$$ to get out of DTV, and 2, I don't have HD yet, but will be getting in in the not so distant future.

Which is better for HD? I know DTV is adding a boat load of channels in the second half of this year, but does that mean everyone will be adding the same channels?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
The only way that they can offer more channels over the same bandwidth that they currently have available to them is to compress the HD content. They are using something called HD Lite. There are a number of problems with this. I have included some links to address this. You can also Google HD Lite and read much more on it.

http://www.stophdlite.com/
http://www.answers.com/topic/hd-lite

As these links will show, this is bad for consumers but these companies just don't care. Please help spread the word, stop HD Lite. Sign the petition at:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/STOP_HD_Lite/

The only way that they can offer more channels over the same bandwidth that they currently have available to them is to compress the HD content. They are using something called HD Lite. There are a number of problems with this. I have included some links to address this. You can also Google HD Lite and read much more on it.

http://www.stophdlite.com/
http://www.answers.com/topic/hd-lite

As these links will show, this is bad for consumers but these companies just don't care. Please help spread the word, stop HD Lite. Sign the petition at:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/STOP_HD_Lite/
In D*'s defense they are launching 2 new satellites this year just for expanding capacity. You are correct about HDlite but no one knows whether that is going to stay that way yet.

In D*'s defense they are launching 2 new satellites this year just for expanding capacity. You are correct about HDlite but no one knows whether that is going to stay that way yet.

That was going to be my next question. I know D* is launching new satellites, and I also read (from them) that they will be offering over 150 HD channels by the end of the year. But are the new channels full HD or still going to be HDlite?

And how does Fios broadcast HD? is it full HD? The TV's I've been looking at have been billed as Full HD 1080P. Am I not going to be able to view full HD if I get one of those sets?

That was going to be my next question. I know D* is launching new satellites, and I also read (from them) that they will be offering over 150 HD channels by the end of the year. But are the new channels full HD or still going to be HDlite?

And how does Fios broadcast HD? is it full HD? The TV's I've been looking at have been billed as Full HD 1080P. Am I not going to be able to view full HD if I get one of those sets?

Verizon does not degrade the content provided to them and yes, I have seen FIOS on a good HD TV and yes, the picture quality is awesome.! This is their strongest point. Dish has the better DVR (622) wth OTA capability, a better program guide and offers more channels (SD & HD). But again, the FIOS picture quality is without equal!

---Doug

Verizon does not degrade the content provided to them and yes, I have seen FIOS on a good HD TV and yes, the picture quality is awesome.! This is their strongest point. Dish has the better DVR (622) wth OTA capability, a better program guide and offers more channels (SD & HD). But again, the FIOS picture quality is without equal!

---Doug

I like the D* DVR's, I have 2 Tivo based units, and a new D* branded R15, which I also like, except for the lack of 2 live buffers the DTivo has. What are the general reviews for the Verizon DVR? I have seen they have a multiple room viewing option, which is key, as well as access to a home network. There seem to be a lot of positives with the whole FIOS experience. Any negatives ??

I was aware of that, but what has not been discussed is the age of their existing birds. I believe that they are coming up to or passing the 10 year mark. I am not completely confident in the life span of one of these devices, but nothing stays up there forever, and these have been there a long time. Perhaps a question that one of the experts can answer for us. In addition, 2 new means complete coverage throughout the US, not 200% increase.

I like the D* DVR's, I have 2 Tivo based units, and a new D* branded R15, which I also like, except for the lack of 2 live buffers the DTivo has. What are the general reviews for the Verizon DVR? I have seen they have a multiple room viewing option, which is key, as well as access to a home network. There seem to be a lot of positives with the whole FIOS experience. Any negatives ??

The multiple room viewing option is expensive and is SD only if ported to another receiver (even if the original was recorded in HD), OTA is not supported, external storage is not presently supported, the hard drive is a bit small and the guide is pretty basic. BTW, Verizon offers limited out-of-hours and weekend support for their TV and internet services. Telephone is the higher priority due to 911 emergency.

---Doug

I've had FIOS TV for over a month now and love the PQ. The SD channels are comparable to digital cable quality. With cable, some of the SD channels were pixelated on my HDTV. But with FIOS, everything is picture perfect. HD on FIOS may be slightly better but the biggest difference is in the SD quality.

My one main complaint with FIOS is their lack of multi-room for HD content. This prevented me from even signing up for that option. The price is really not that expensive, if you were to get 2 HD DVRs, it would cost $26. Multi-room DVR + 1 HD setop is $30.

Hopefully DirecTV will also move some of the HD channels currently on the 101° bird to the new satellites and improve the quality of the SD channels. Or free up room for more shopping channels. ;)

So much for 2 satellite launches for D* this year. The recent launch failure out in the Pacific will likely delay one of those launches, possibly both if there are a lot of launch vehicle shuffles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts