Is G10R down ??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
iafirebuff said:
I do need to get my extra Primestar pointed to G10 to boost the weak signals :) I compare my Primestar that is on IA5/AMC4 to my 80cm on G10/IA7 during some rain the last few days........ WOW! BIG difference in signal strength!
Larry, ain't about 40 dozen or so of us been trying to tell you something like that, since you got the 2 Primestar dishes.

Al

iafirebuff said:
Here is my IA5/AMC4 setup. I need to find a smaller hose clamp, as I do not like the wood look.
Larry, why don't you try painting the wood block to match the rest of the system.I don't think it looks bad at all but a little paint might make you happier with it:)

I am going to look for a smaller hose clamp, and also plan on using a smaller piece of wood. I might have to paint it :) I don' tlike the way it looks, but standing back from it it really does not look that bad. My wife didn't even notice it :)

Gary Z said:
Thanks Larry,

This has helped me tremendously!!! I plan on setting my Primestar up for IA5/AMC4 in a few months when the weather cools down.

I bought a 6' 2 3/8" fence post at Home Depot and used 2 50lb bags of quick set post cement - had under $25 in it for the mount. I picked up 2 Primestar dishes from a local Directv outlet for $30 for the pair. I got the LNBs from Sadoun on ebay for around $1 + shipping. :)

I know a motor would be cheapier, but I like setting everything up :)

Well, motor might be cheaper, but at least you won't have to worry about motor burning out, and you won't have a 15 second blackout as you move between channels. Still got no clue why my motor burned out. I'm guessing it was my fault for tyring to put sillicone around the coax connections to seal it. Someone in another thread mentioned using sillicone tape instead of real sillicone in a tube. I may look in to that when the new motor comes in.

Yes, the no delay is nice :) I really enjoy setting up dishes, running cables, etc. I also have enjoyed the "hunt" for Primestar dishes. The hunt continues :)

No need to seal the connectors on the motor. I recommend using "boots" on the cable though. The connections on the motor are on the bottom and pointing down so even if you didn't use boots you'd probably be fine.

I have boots on some of my lnbs and elec. tape on the others. I know there is a "coax tape" of such out there. Not sure how well it works though. Speaking of water in connections - I see so many Dish and DTV systems in my area that has the switches mounted on the side of a house, all with the ports facing up - doesn't seem wise to me :)

Nope... I see that all over the place too... I got the motor today via FEDEX... Time to do the roof dance again tomorrow morning.

I had a few bucks from a turbosquid check that came in so I ran out to Radio Shack and grabbed some sillicone tape and more electric tape. The guy in the other post suggessted putting the electrical on top of the sillicone. Sillicone tape was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. It was marked at around 3.00, but the clerk rang it up a 1.50!!!

BTW, Turbosquid is http://www.turbosquid.com - it's an online place to sell digital assets, mostly 3d models and animations, but also digital photos. I have a lot of crud on there, mainly old pics that I shot of skys, etc. when I first got in to digital photography a few years back. On average, I get roughly 3.00 or so a month from it since most of my stuff is junk, but this time I got 12.00, just enough to buy some the a few roles of electric tape, the sillicone tape, and a mono to sterio connector. If you are in to taking stock photos, especially digital ones, get signed up with those guys and start uploading - it's FREE. Yes, it sucks that they keep 50% of your sales, but it's THE most popular site for that sort of stuff out there since it's been around for so long... it is a nice way to make a few bucks here and there to help you out doing hobbies like this.

I have my fta receiver going in to a that soundblaster external doohickey... and it's got headphone signals going out to some computer speakers on top of the entertainment system, and now also has an extra lead going downstairs (hole in the floor that the coax is coming up from - had to go from roof, to basement, and loop back up through the floor since we have brick house) where it's going to a couple of speakers down there so that I can listen to fta radio stations while I'm painting in the studio down there, even when the television upstairs is completely turned off! :)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts