Is Galaxy 16 at 99°W getting weaker or near its end of life?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ancient

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2014
USA
I only ask this because for years I've had a 7½ foot dish pointed at 99°W and never had any problems receiving anything from it until sometime around the middle of last year, then I started losing the weaker signals on that bird, although the big major network on that satellite still came in fine. Anyway, after losing the 16APSK signals on 97°W I repointed the 10 foot dish I had been using for that to 99°W and then everything came back and scanned in with no problem. I've noticed that others have reported more problems receiving signals from that satellite lately, so I am just wondering if maybe it's getting near the end of its lifespan and is losing strength, or if maybe something happened to one of its power sources and they had to cut power on some of the transponders.

If you go to https://satsignature.com/plot/america/galaxy-16 and look at the C-band horizontal side, it always seems like the transponders below 3900 MHz show considerably lower signal strength than the ones above 3900 MHz. The same does not seem to be true of the vertical side. Unfortunately two of the more popular C-band muxes on that satellite are in that frequency range. So that makes me wonder if maybe an antenna or a solar array or something was slightly damaged, or maybe knocked out of position slightly.

If nobody else were reporting problems I would be more suspicious of the LNB on the smaller dish, but it is not that old because I replaced the single output LNB that had been on it with a dual output one a couple of years ago, and it's always been one of my most reliable dishes until this last year. And that combined with the other sporadic threads I've seen where people have had issues with muxes disappearing on their equipment makes me wonder if something is up with that satellite (no pun intended).

My 8.5 foot and larger dishes have no problem with Galaxy 16 C-band. In fact, the c-band side is up among the strongest birds I get in the arc.

The Ku-band side is among the weakest in the arc for me.

If one is using undersized dishes and having problems with Galaxy !6 c-band, it could be that incidences of nearby satellite interference are increasing (G19 C-band and SES-1 C-band are filling up nicely with more full time signals than this time last year, for instance).

Skysurfer I agree I have lost a lot of channels because of them moving the channels around on to new satellites. In a way they are killing the minibud.

ancient,

Galaxy 16 (99w) was launched in August of 2006, so its now approaching its 11th year in service. It supposedly has a 15 year lifespan so barring any in-space damage, it still has a few more years to go.

John

My 8.5 foot and larger dishes have no problem with Galaxy 16 C-band. In fact, the c-band side is up among the strongest birds I get in the arc.

The Ku-band side is among the weakest in the arc for me.

If one is using undersized dishes and having problems with Galaxy !6 c-band, it could be that incidences of nearby satellite interference are increasing (G19 C-band and SES-1 C-band are filling up nicely with more full time signals than this time last year, for instance).

Interesting. I wonder if something popped up on an adjacent satellite that started causing problems just in the last few months of last year? Last year at this time, I had no problem picking up any of the English-language FTA muxes on C-band on that satellite. Whatever it is, if that's the problem it must also be affecting the reception at the location used by that satsignature site.

I wonder if something popped up on an adjacent satellite that started causing problems just in the last few months of last year? Last year at this time, I had no problem picking up any of the English-language FTA muxes on C-band on that satellite. Whatever it is, if that's the problem it must also be affecting the reception at the location used by that satsignature site.

I checked satsignature and I don't see anything out of the ordinary in their Galaxy 16 c-band reception and considernig they use large teleport-sized dishes, I didn't expect to see any nearby satellite interference issues on their captures.

SES-1 is filling up quite a bit (and Galaxy 19 as well) so those could be contributors to nearby sat interference reception of Galaxy 16 signals on an undersized dish.

I lost THIS, COZI TV, the Puerto Rican Channel and an NBC channel. The other channels are booming in on my 7 1/2 foot dish. Most are running near 85% SQ & 90 signal level. Mine seems to start having trouble when the equinox changed this past fall, and I kind of accredited the signal loss to looking through more atmosphere due to the tilt of the earth. All 4 of those channels are below 45% SQ and 50% signal strength. They come in fine on the 12 footer. May not have anything to do with it, but it sounds good. :)

wvman,

I lost the same channels sometime in November.
In addition, I'm also not getting escapes or the 3844H mux. All others are in the 65-74% range.

John

JFOK, I tried receiving escapes on the 10 foot dish today and it came in fine (oddly enough, the first scenes I saw were from a place I lived for several years). I have not been able to get it on my smaller dish for a few months now.

In checking some other muxes I used to receive off that satellite, I discovered that the ABC mux that used to be on 4140V is gone (Satsignature confirms there is nothing there). This was a secondary mux, not the main one, so maybe it was just down today because they didn't need it? Another thing I noticed is that the feeds channel at 4060V is gone. Satsignature shows a carrier there, but nothing would scan in on that mux on either dish. That is another one that's not necessarily a 24/7 feed, but it has been so long since I actually tried to look at it that it may have been gone for a while now. If anyone else is still getting either of those, please say so and I'll try to figure out what is wrong here.

On the plus side, it looks like they FINALLY fixed the formerly lousy audio on the mux at 3813H. The audio actually seems good on those now, at least on the two HD channels.

In checking some other muxes I used to receive off that satellite, I discovered that the ABC mux that used to be on 4140V is gone (Satsignature confirms there is nothing there). This was a secondary mux, not the main one, so maybe it was just down today because they didn't need it?
If anyone else is still getting either of those, please say so and I'll try to figure out what is wrong

Here's a relevant thread that may answer some questions:[URL="http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3955846/"]99w 4140 ABC MUX MIA?[/URL]

ABC on 4120 H 30000, showing FEC of 9/10.

Reactions: KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts