Is indoor dish installation possible at all?

svenbocklandt

Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Totally new to HD and satellite TV, did a search but didn't find an answer to my question, so I apologize in advance if this doesn't make much sense.

I just moved into a new apartment and was able to buy a HD set. I live in LA, and my apartment building doesn't allow satellite because "the landlord doesn't like all the wires, and doesn't want anyone to go on the roof".

I have a fairly large bedroom window that faces south, with a line of sight pretty much from the horizon all the way up.

Is it possible at all to install the dish inside in front of the window? I know the current dish is 18" and the new one will be 20 by 30", and that would fit. But would this work? Would any installer actually do this? How "deep" is the dish from front to back?

Thanks!

Some have experimented in the past and have said that you can change out the window pane with plexiglass and it will work. Not exactly the easiest solution.

you should be able too, as long as you have a good line of sight, dont know never heard of an install like this, who knows, you might be able to, dont know if the glass will block the signal...

You can get a dish tripod, open your window and aim dish. Is it possible to mount the dish outside to the moulding around your window or to the side of the building close to your window?

Outside on the wall is of course the most obvious choice. No one in the buiding has anything sticking out of that wall though, I'm afraid the landlord will not let me - have to check that. Hence my idea of doing a wall-mount at the inside.

This Is VOOM You Said You Have A South Facing Window. You Need An Easterly View.
VOOM is at 61.5*. If Your Window Really Faces South Then VOOM Is Out.

Sean Mota said:
It is not totally east.. It is actually southwest...
Sean, svenbocklandt is in LA! It should be South-East.

you mean southeast. east is at 45*, south would be at 90*, and 61.5* would fall in between, aprox southeast. southwest would be out at 225*. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)