Is it possible that all of t his publicity will boost sales?

cfarm said:
Tom gave a number only a few hundred apart, but you conlude we should stick with a 6 month old number instead?
No. But the FACT is that 47,000+ was quoted earlier in this thread and it is an unsourced number. Sure, the anonymous source number is a few hundred higher than Tom's quickly stated number, but now we've added 700 plus more. Should we post tomorrow that Voom has 48,000+ subscribers? and 49,000+ on Friday?

This is a Voom forum, so I suppose that we should cast aside all rational thought and ASSUME that Tom didn't misspeak (mis-write) and that single unnamed source got their numbers right too. After all, every press report we have read is 100% correct, isn't it. Or do we only suspend disbelief for positive statements? :)

We've argued this in other threads ... Feel free to say 46,000+ with 5k waiting but try to avoid drifting numbers up with no source and remember Tom Dolan should not be credited for the "anonymous source" number unless the reporter has spoken to Tom as the source.

JL

mdonnelly said:
bryan27 said:
Currently we are getting press, but if the press doesn't follow up with a "VOOM will still be around" after the dust settles that could be really bad.
The press can't say that, because they can't verify it (yeah, commentators can say anything they want, but they don't have to back it up). So far, all we have is a stay of execution until C. Dolan can present a package that the board will accept.
They can't say that YET, but what Brian wants is to have it said "after the dust settles".

JL

Those who are questioning how the bad publicity could help VOOM need to look at the bigger picture. This stuff is all marketing 101. I'm not claiming this corporate drama is intentional, but this is the effect it will have:

The first thing you need is called "Brand Awareness" or "Brand Recognition." People won't buy your product unless they know it exists, or accidnetally stumble upon it. The publicity here is doing wonders for brand awareness.

In the short term, the publicity will reduce prospective buyer confidence, and may even reduce the confidence of existing customers. However, in the long run, the publicity they are getting right now is more valuable than the temporary hit they are taking in consumer confidence.

Why are all of you people saying "No good can come from it" and "I can't see how this would make anyone sign up".

I am living proof that you are wrong.

mdonnelly said:
The press can't say that, because they can't verify it (yeah, commentators can say anything they want, but they don't have to back it up). So far, all we have is a stay of execution until C. Dolan can present a package that the board will accept.

I said AFTER the dust settles to follow up with VOOM Survives or something like that. Not NOW when the future is still uncertian.

I've seen so much press in the past report on something making it sensational and then you never hear a report of the out come. That is what I am saying. The name is getting known, but the press will need to follow up on the outcome instead of just dropping the subject. If all they printed was 'Doomed VOOM' and didn't follow up a month or two down the road when the dust settles and VOOM survives. Everyone reading the 'Doomed VOOM' articles would never know that VOOM survived when they purchase a new HDTV.

I agree, the press *should* report on it if VOOM is bought out/spun off. But it is not the media's job to put consumer confidence and brand recognition back on track.

The reason it's news right now is because jobs could be lost, and a public company is going through a major overhaul. If VOOM survives into April, it will do so as a private company -- a much smaller company... And that is far less newsworthy.

That will be the job of the marketing/PR department.

screech said:
Typical media. If it's not BAD news, it's NOT news.

:no Typical irresponsible blame on the media. :no

It's not the media, that's the way capitalism tends to work... A company thrives and a handfull of people get rich... A company flounders and hundreds or thousands of people lose jobs.

News is by definition information that affects or moves people. It's the media's job to seek out and report that news.

So you tell me which one's a bigger story: 500 people lose their job, or a millionaire's net worth goes up 20%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)