is it safe to sign up voom now or should I wait until 4/1?

smallghost

Original poster
Mar 29, 2005
Hi all, I just bought an EDTV few days ago and after a lil bit of research, I want to get VOOM b/c it offers the most HD channels for the $$. But I also find out VOOM may be closed by the end of this month. You think it's safe for me to sign up for VOOM now or should I wait until 4/1? Thanks in advance. This is my first post, btw :)

I have been lurking for a long time and even I finally pulled the trigger today.

You don't have much to lose with a $1 install special. The sooner you order the sooner you can get installed. They gave me a date way too far out though, I am supposed to call tomorrow to see if I can get any sooner install dates.

Scott Greczkowski said:
VOOM is not going anywhere. :)

Trust me ;)

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US

Scott, I get such a warm and sharp feeling when you say things like that. (could not use the ward fuzzy or the thread would get highjacked, LOL :) )

jgantert said:
My guess is that since they keep adding channels, they're not going anywhere.

-John
I like that guess! :D
I also like Scott flat-out stating that they're not going anywhere. :D :D

yes, I have noticed a dramatic decline of the Voom Doomers in the last few weeks.
I guess they have finally conceded that Voom is the SH*T.

Here, Here,
Let's raise our glasses in victory
and for those about to Voom, We salute you!

Scott Greczkowski said:
VOOM is not going anywhere. :)

Trust me ;)

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US

Any Idea if they will make any official announcements in the next few days? Considering they put up a site telling us it was gone by the 31st, then put the site back up, then back down, etc...

I think they owe us at least a quick comment...

smallghost,

What do you have to lose? I mean, really, think about it...

Your risking ONE DOLLAR! Cause every month you have to pay for your service, your not risking anything--cause you got the service, right? And did you have to sign a year commitment like D* and E* require? NO! Did you have to PURCHASE the HD receivers at $300-400 a piece like D* and E* require? NO! And do D* or E* install and configure an OTA antennae as part of their installation? NO!

So, again, what are you really risking??? Whether Voom is alive in a month is completely immaterial, because you're risking NOTHING! Well, by waiting you are risking one thing--never enjoying the premiere HD satellite service available today... ;)

DO IT, MAN!!!! :D

Go for it...

smallghost said:
Hi all, I just bought an EDTV few days ago and after a lil bit of research, I want to get VOOM b/c it offers the most HD channels for the $$. But I also find out VOOM may be closed by the end of this month. You think it's safe for me to sign up for VOOM now or should I wait until 4/1?
smallghost, you have nothing to loose. Even if you called today, your install date will be well beyond the 4/1 deadlines, so you would be safe in that regard. ;)

zombie said:
Any Idea if they will make any official announcements in the next few days? Considering they put up a site telling us it was gone by the 31st, then put the site back up, then back down, etc...

I think they owe us at least a quick comment...
Voom did make an official announcement (sort of) to some of its members. A letter was sent out promoting the recently added channels and offering the “free preview” to existing members. I don’t think Voom would go through the trouble of sending out this letter, if they were going to close in three days. :D

Well all I called today and talked to an online rep. I am supposed to have VOOM installed tomorrow, and I was told that it WILL happen and he even gave me the name of the installation company that will be out. I also received an e-mail from Voom letting me know what I need to have ready when he/she arrives between 0800-1200..

Arlo

Edit..

Just talked to my installer because I wanted to make sure... and he told me two things:
1. The install is on he will be out between 8-12
2. He assures me that VOOM :smug is going forward and he was very happy.. The company is called C.F. Communications here in St. Louis

I am always amazed by the persons not willing to even risk the cost of a soda. What are they going to do? Shut down and bill you 6 months in advance? Wait...I better not even suggest that.

1 quick question, I just read the "Pre/Post-Installation FAQ for VOOM" and found out I need LOS of 61.5. Should I call VOOM to have them check to see if I qualify for that first or I can just go ahead and order and let the installer figure it out? Thanks in advance. :)

They can't do it over the phone. The installer will do that.
If you have some concerns, you can try to figure out the azimuth and elevation from one of the recommended programs or web sites (e.g. this one) and use a compass to check for LOS on your own.

I am like the original poster, but I am waiting for one thing only...
The DVR!

It has been my experience (and it appears to be most others on this webiste) that a new subscriber will get a better deal for the equipment than a current subscriber.

I am with E* now and have 2 DVRs. I lease them so I am very reluctant to give them up, and so is the wife...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts