Is Michael Phelps the greatest Olympian ever?

It is so hard to compare era's and so forth. While I think a great case can be made for Phelps, I have to wonder where does Jim Thorpe fit into this conversation? Yes, I know he lost the medals because he played pro ball but he won both the Decathlon and the Pentathlon. I know it is only two medals but several different events.

He is one of the greatest. With out a doubt i can say NO he is not the best. If track and field had multiple races say like the 20 yard dash and then the 30, 40 and so on. This is unfair to say one person is the greatest but i would say Jesse Owens with out doubt!

BlackHitachi said:
He is one of the greatest. With out a doubt i can say NO he is not the best. If track and field had multiple races say like the 20 yard dash and then the 30, 40 and so on. This is unfair to say one person is the greatest but i would say Jesse Owens with out doubt!

There are. There is the 400...the hurdles in the 100, 200 and 400 as well as the decathalon. Those track athletes CHOSE not to participate.

So by choosing not to risk losing...Phelps participates in just about every race there is...high risk, high rewards.

Makes him stand above all others.

Hard to Judge people across differing era and sports both.

That said while Phelps is indeed the most accomplished IMO Bolt is the more talented competitor.

Not that close either.

Bolt destroys his competition.

There are. There is the 400...the hurdles in the 100, 200 and 400 as well as the decathlon. Those track athletes CHOSE not to participate.

So by choosing not to risk losing...Phelps participates in just about every race there is...high risk, high rewards.

Makes him stand above all others.
Really the hurdles is the same as sprints? Oh i stand corrected i did not realize phelps Swims and dives... Wait he does not? Well maybe like i said sprinters should have the 20,30,40,50,60 and so one. Same amount of events.. Also decathlon and the longer races require a much dofferent body type then sprints. I am sure you already know this..

Also the reason i say Owens. He was the first to dominate multiple events. He was not only representing the nation but much bigger things. I think we can all agree the pressure he was under to prove to the world that none whites could also compete in athletics.

Also the reason i say Owens. He was the first to dominate multiple events. He was not only representing the nation but much bigger things. I think we can all agree the pressure he was under to prove to the world that none whites could also compete in athletics.

I'd definitely have Jesse Owens in a list of the top ten (probably top five) Olympians of all time. he was very very important. It is a shame that WWII made it so he couldn't repeat his success.

BlackHitachi said:
Really the hurdles is the same as sprints? Oh i stand corrected i did not realize phelps Swims and dives... Wait he does not? Well maybe like i said sprinters should have the 20,30,40,50,60 and so one. Same amount of events.. Also decathlon and the longer races require a much dofferent body type then sprints. I am sure you already know this..

Diving and swimming are not races. Hurdles and dashes are. Comparing apples and oranges.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts