Is my 722k dying?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Boot recovery is a strange critter. When my receiver did it, I was unaware of what it was. Because I kept messing with it, I delayed my boot recovery by well over 12 hours. Every time I messed with it, it started over from scratch. Personally, I'd leave it completely alone, don't touch it at all, make sure it has good cooling, and it hopefully will fix itself. Once mine finally came back, it was completely normal, and I had all my recordings.

IF yours doesn't recover in 24 hours, THEN I'd say it's gone for good.

Thanks for all the replies. Yesterday evening, after several reset attempts, it finally booted up. But, after watching an hour or so from the dvr, it froze and turned off by itself. So I just pulled the plug and let it sit overnight. Looks like its almost done for.

Haven't touched it today. Gonna hook up an EHD tomorrow and try to save the recordings. Not sure if it will boot but I'm going to wait until I have an EHD before trying.

Let it completely cool down unplugged, as long as it's in that state now. If it boots tomorrow, get that external drive plugged in and start moving stuff. Then, if that goes ok, you can re-evaluate and decide what you'll do from there.

Don't forget to copy down all your timer settings and such. I just use a notepad and a pen. 722k timers can be copied to the remote, but I don't think they can be copied back to the new one for some reason. Why that feature exists when it can't restore, is beyond me.

If you keep those doors open and blow a fan on it there's a good chance it will work long enough to get the recordings off of it to an EHD.

If you put another one in that cabinet with no ventilation the same thing will happen again.

Overheating could have caused early electrolytic capacitor failure, as certain versions of the 722k are prone to that. The cooling fan is a very good idea, but if a cap or two is already in failure mode, or won't last without replacing them, or replacing the receiver if it's leased. There's a post or two here somewhere that explain which caps are the likeliest ones to be bad.

Reactions: KAB
Can someone from DIRT help me with a replacement receiver? The CSR from dish is really wearing me out with all these troubleshooting questions.:eek: They want to send a tech to the house when I already know what the problem is.

Can someone from DIRT help me with a replacement receiver? The CSR from dish is really wearing me out with all these troubleshooting questions.:eek: They want to send a tech to the house when I already know what the problem is.
You should PM a Dirt rep when one is online. They can't constantly scour the various sites they serve.

Reactions: TheKrell
Don't forget to copy down all your timer settings and such. I just use a notepad and a pen. 722k timers can be copied to the remote, but I don't think they can be copied back to the new one for some reason. Why that feature exists when it can't restore, is beyond me.

I moved from a 722 (not a 722k) to a Hopper last month and couldn't save the timer information from the 722. I was able to get a list of all my timers by logging into Dish Anywhere. Go to My DVR, then My Timers. I selected the entire list and copied and pasted them into a Word document. Much easier than writing them all down - and you will definitely want them!

Reactions: TheKrell
I found the copy and paste from DA much easier to use when I had to replace my old 722. Having a hard copy made it easier to set them up. The Hopper will store all that info in the remote. So if you need to replace a Hopper, you can restore all your settings including the scanned ota channel list. Another reason to consider upgrading to a Hopper.

The problem with using dish anywhere is it only lists the active timers. If the show isn't in the guide the timer won't be listed.

Reactions: KAB
The problem with using dish anywhere is it only lists the active timers. If the show isn't in the guide the timer won't be listed.
Exactly. Just whip out your phone and be done with it.

Well, that explains why my list of timers on Dish Anywhere looked like some were missing. When I had the 722, Dish Anywhere always listed all of my timers, regardless of whether there were any recordings pending. I had about 60 and they were all there. With the Hopper, Dish Anywhere seems to behave as you described - only listing timers where a recording is pending. The listing was much easier to deal with than a bunch of pictures, but if all the timers are not listed, then it is not very useful.

Even taking pictures of the timer list screens is either incomplete or a tedious task, as the list does not show the details of each timer (most importantly channel #/all channels). If you need to gather the info, you'd have to take a picture of each individual timer screen.

Well, I'm certainly glad that when I did it, it was not so difficult.

Let it completely cool down unplugged, as long as it's in that state now. If it boots tomorrow, get that external drive plugged in and start moving stuff. Then, if that goes ok, you can re-evaluate and decide what you'll do from there.

When I replaced my ViP722k, I was actually able to get that feature to restore the timers that were stored in the remote. Unfortunately, it had been a long time since I backed up my timers, so I ended up with a long list of outdated timers that needed to be deleted.

It will work with a 20.0, but if you were to go from 722 to a hopper, it won't work, as the hopper uses the 40.0 and the backup process is achieved differently with the two remotes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)