Is my LNB mounted properly? What else could be wrong?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FTARock20

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
USA
I'm trying to pull in Galaxy 19, my mount is level according to a bubble level, and I used the dishpointer app to align my dish to G19; however, I cannot pull in any signal. Could my LNB be mounted wrong? What should I do?

Thanks a ton. Also, apologies for the trash in the first shot, didn't notice it. The active wildlife in the area probably perused the trash again.

20191203_004844.jpg
20191203_004850.jpg
20191203_004906.jpg

The LNBF looks like it is properly mounted. But, depending on where you live, you may need to skew it (it depends on what your longitude is).

If you give me your longitude and latitude I can tell you which direction to rotate it and how far.

What is your city and state?

The dish appears to be aimed very high. Are you using the elevation scale on the dish mount or measuring the elevation angle a different way?

What is the LNBF type? Standard LO 10750 or Universal 9750/10600? Is the receiver's install menu LNB LO set to this corresponding setting?

What transponder is selected in the receiver's install menu? For 97w satellite, I usually recommend 12152 Horizontal 20000, as this transponder frequency/parameter is not duplicated on nearby satellites.

Set a small TV right beside the dish so you can see the signal meter readings as you adjust the dish. Only the luckiest of installers would receive the satellite signal by setting the dish to the angles calculated for a satellite and have the satellite signal readings appear. It is a searching procedure to locate then optimize the satellite signal reception.

With the dish elevation angle approximately set, the LNB skew set to the proper angle, the receiver's LO frequency set and an active transponder selected, SLOWLY pan the dish 20 degrees East of an identified landmark that closely aligns with the compass reading that you found for the 97w satellite. I usually try to find a tree, utility pole, chimney or some other landmark in the distance to reference the satellite that I am trying to locate.

Watch the Signal Quality meter reading while SLOWLY panning the dish. If no Signal Quality reading is noted, SLOWLY Pan to the 20 degrees West of the landmark. If no Signal Quality reading is noted, raise or lower the dish elevation angle in one degree increments and repeat this SLOW East and West panning process while watching the Signal Quality meter reading. This may take many attempts as even an 1/8th of an inch change in elevation or azimuth aiming will make the difference between a booming signal and no signal.

Don't try to coordinate with another person watching a TV inside. It will be quite frustrating unless you are watching the Signal Quality meter reading as small adjustments are made to locate ghen optimize the satellite signal reception.

Good Luck! It will be quite rewarding once you lock onto your first satellite signal!

Titanium beat me to it. I completely took everything apart remounted and assembled again because I didn't think to check my LO frequency, was using a universal and went to a 10750 and thought nothing about it until looking at the box when I was done messing with it for the day.

Using a standard LNB, TV is visible through my window as I install, and I'm in south Mississippi, Biloxi. Receiver LNB set to 10750. Was using that exact transponder to test. To check elevation, used the markings on the dish, then verified with my phones accelerometer and the dishpointer app. 60 percent signal strength entire time, 0 quality. However I was only moving the dish within 1 inch west/east and still could not find signal. I will try the suggestions above when I get home today; quite new to this, thanks for all of the help.

Reactions: Titanium
Standing in front of dish and looking at it, rotate LNB clockwise 15 degrees from 0.

My calculator says for 30.44N, 89W and satellite 97W: 13.3 degrees counterclockwise (looking into the dish).
Positive skew numbers in calculators conventionally are clockwise, when standing behind the dish; so counterclockwise when looking into the dish.
So how do you get to a clockwise number...?

greetz,
A33

Yep, will do it here in just a few hours. College finals exhausted me yesterday and I'm currently setting up a new router for my neighbor. Thank you guys so much for the support.

Reactions: Titanium and KE4EST
Didn't get my chance today. Tomorrow for sure. Would rather be setting this up than being busy, but life shall be life.

Reactions: fireball517
If you have a compass, preferably a digital one, look up the satellite's longitude for your location and point your dish in that direction. A standard magnetic (needle) compass can be used but make sure you point towards the recommended magnetic South on the satellite lookup table.

First and foremost your dish should be in the direction of Gal 19 before continuing.

Reactions: FTARock20

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)