Is pansat 3500 sd still ok to use?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
I haven't used my fta receiver in a few years since we went to using roku, but in the near future we are contemplating getting rid of dsl and a phone line to save a few bucks monthly as we are going to have a lot of new expenses we never had before long (Baby's due date is in July! :) ) Is it still viable to use a pansat 3500 sd or is everything now all changed to using a protocol that that receiver won't be able to see any more? i.e. is it worth trying to set up the 3500 sd again or is it a pointless effort since what is up there that it can see is not much at all as all the birds are now doing newer things that require a new receiver, if so what receiver is best for what is available up there fta wise now?

You are going to miss a ton of feeds and programming unless your goal is pretty much to only get 97W Ku. Most of the good stuff on other birds like PBS is DVB-S2, most of the good feeds are HD and are more and more coming down S2.

My 'short' list (in no particular order) Traxis DBS6000, Geosatpro microHD, Amiko nanoHD, Manhattan RS-1933, Pansat9500.

I have my Pansat3500 on a dedicated dish for the audio channels available on 103W Ku.
Do you have a C band dish??

what about AZBOX? Read somewhere that it is only box that can do 4:2:2?

Also, if these new boxes do hdmi, do you have to have a tv, or can you just plug them in to a computer monitor?

Read somewhere that it is only box that can do 4:2:2?
That's correct. They are the 'only' STB able to play 'live' 4.2.2 video other than a computer DVB tuner. [card or USB] Although 4.2.2 is pretty rare. Think i'd put it somewhere near 1% [IMHO] Any of the aforementioned will record 4.2.2 streams. They can be played back on your computer. (external HDD for recording) I use VLC.
You should be able to plug the HDMI output of the STB receiver into any monitor/television that has an HDMI input.
Most no longer have the 'old school' RF ch. 3 output, but may also have baseband video and/or component.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)