Which KU band system do you recommend?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

xoibsurferx

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Monroe, NC
I recently picked up a 7.5ft sami dish but won't be able to install it due to my hoa. We rent (landlord was cool with dish being put up as long as I could take it down when we move) but the hoa isn't so cool with a 7.5ft dish. They said by law I'm allowed a 1.2 meter dish or smaller.

I still want to get into fta tv and will be storing the 7.5ft sami for when we buy a home but for now I'm looking into the smaller ku band 90cm systems.

Which kit would you recommend? Stationary or motorized? This stationary kit looks very promising (http://satelliteav.com/shop/?ws_pid=1611&ws_cat=413) but I'm leaning towards a motorized system so I can quickly switch between satellites.

I would start with that kit, and add a motor. ;)

That's a real bummer with the Sami, but good that you're saving it for future use! Darn HOA'S! I second Ke4est's suggestions for the Ku system, that will be a good system.

Don't be tempted to get a smaller dish than 90 cm [36''] for less money, the performance lost is not worth the money saved. There's 76'' cm dishes that you can buy for as low as $40, but it's definitely worth spending the little bit more and getting a 90 cm. Smaller than that and you'll have a hard time with some channels.

On the motor, I'd stay away from the SG2100's, they are rather problematic. I have one here that was new a year or so ago and it's been trouble right from day one. This summer, I'm planning on replacing it with a DG380, which I hope is better.

I'm not really sure on what Ku dish motors are good, but I'm sure other people that do know will chime in and offer help on that. :)

I'm happy with the Stab 90 HH motor. Its been working well for the past 5 years. Depending on the size of dish you may have to upgrade to a larger motor.

I'm happy with the Stab 90 HH motor. Its been working well for the past 5 years. Depending on the size of dish you may have to upgrade to a larger motor.

Agreed, the Stab motors are the best I have had, and the HH90 would be perfect with that dish in the kit above.

Yes, the Stab HH90 and HH120 are highly recommended. I have been using the DG380 on my GeoSatPro 90cm dish for a few years now, with no problems, so it is a good motor also in my opinion.

I have a 36" dish, and a viewsat hd reciever. some people say get rid of the viewsat becuz, I would need a dongle to run it. I was wondering, what's a perfect hd receiver, and lnb to get out there, or what setup would be highly recommended? in South Florida

I think you're right.
I have a 36" dish, and a viewsat hd reciever
What LNBF? FTA requires a linear (horizontal/vertical) with 10750 L.O. Or a Universal linear.
I would need a dongle to run it.
That's only true if you're interested in stealing(programming). Sorry, there's no help here. Only with true FTA.
"viewsat hd" ? Think that's only capable of DVB-S(but could be wrong) so about the only satellite it would be useful for is 97W (G19). There are some more, but not many, as they are rapidly adopting DVB-S2.
what's a perfect hd receiver
AFAIK - there isn't one. But this comes as close as possible today. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEOSATpro-m...US_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item1c304e40e7
Everything needed is included. {Or just the receiver?)
Add a motor, later, to easily 'go to ' other satellites.
Some other receivers, my 'list' #5

Welcome to SatGuys, Bigc2475!

What's the model # of your Viewsat receiver? With the model #, we can tell you for sure what it can and can't receive. I think like Fat-Air said, your Viewsat would receive only DVB-S and you need a receiver that can receive DVB-S2 or you'll miss out on a lot of stations.

For the LNB, I have a Avenger PLL322-S2 LNB on my Ku dish and it works real well. This one from Titanium Satellite also has very good reviews, for only $17 :http://www.titaniumsatellite.com/products#!/~/product/category=6743545&id=26947783

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)