Is PlatinumHD worth the 10$

OrangeCounty

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2010
Southern California
i have been losing sleep over this idea! Should i stick with it or remove it to save me 10 bucks? I just want to read YOUR opinions..
I mean, i like the movies, but i rarely watch them because they arent really good to me. The only channel that i do like is Palladia. Dish really effed me over when they changed that channel to platinum.
Im planning on removing this, and getting the 8.99 netflix subscription, good idea or no?

IMO, Epix alone is worth it. If there we no other channels in the package, a semi-premium movie channel for $10.00 is a no brainer for me. Also, the Indie channel. I've been recording quite a few movies from the Plat Pack. Plus you need to remember, that if you got free HD for life, you're paying no more now than you did a couple of months ago for more. And BTW, if you are losing sleep over THIS, I envy you and your perfect life.

I've not found a single movie on Epix that intrest me.
If Fios is making their customer Pay $10 just for Epix, then Verizon is on crack.

But for $10 a month that pack is a good value, that doesn't always mean you can't live without it.

Just do what I do with all the premiums, Look through the 14 day guide, if nothing intrest you , the drop the package.

I found when comparing the Plat pack to the top 250 , that there were more hd channels in the plat pack than the top 250 , so I dropped down to top 200 and kept plat pack. We do watch Epix from time to time. We also watch some of the Retro and Indie and MGM as well as Hdnet movie channels. I love old movies and if they are in HD that much better. Most of the top 250 channels we rarely watched. Especially the Encore pack since it was all sd except the main Encore east channel.

For my taste the movies available in Platinum are worth it, as well as Shorts and even HDNET with Dan Rather Reports, World Report and few of the sleazy shows. My mother loves Crime Investigation, Universal HD very much as they play some of the older shows (Nash Bridges, etc.) that she really enjoys. It is her kind of TV.

May I suggest that you go ahead and remove HD Platinum, and if you really miss it, you will feel good about adding it. See if you can really do well without it. If you find you can, then you have saved some money and given the rest to Netflix, but Netflix HD is inferior, is it not? Anyway, think of it as love: let it free, and if it is meant to be, it will return to you, or, more accurately, you will call back to add HD Platinum if you miss it that much.

Platinum is a no brainer for me. You gain a number of HD movie channels.
I've not found a single movie on Epix that intrest me.
Ironman, the Indiana Jones Trilogy (I really don't want to recognize the fourth film), Star Trek, among others?

Heck, I even watched parts of GI Joe because of the great HD picture (movie was beyond dumb).

I think the Epix channels are great movie channels to have. I am finding that the Indie Channel is actually pretty good. I just watched two movies on there the last couple days and they were great.

The question is, is it worth it to you? I loved Epix, loved HDNet Movies, and enjoyed some of what was on Indie and Retro. But I decided the $120/year was worth more to me, so I dropped it yesterday. I can get the few recent releases I want with my Netflix. I definately think the package is a good value now, but that doesn't obligate you to buy it.

I would go beyond just looking through the EPG, though. Keep in mind premiums are big on reruns. So while you might see a ton you want to see right out of the gate, pretty soon that dries up as new movies are harder to come by. (In fact, the pack I'd really wish Dish would offer is a rotationg premium pack. Cycle through HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, and HD Platinum with a different one every month.)

Heck, I even watched parts of GI Joe because of the great HD picture (movie was beyond dumb).

Hey, those shots of Rachel Nichols and Sienna Miller made the movie worth watching.

Finally remembered to drop the Platinum package today, along with dropping from the 250 to 200 package.

Saving $20/mo will quickly add up.
For movies, I still have the penny netflix, my $10/mo Netflix membership, along with my grandfathers free Playon with Hulu streaming to the PS3.

If you do not watch any of the channels, then it is just flushing $10/month down the drain. The same could be said for any programming package. If you only watch the big 4 and you can get OTA, then all money spent on TV is flushing down the drain. Just because other people find channels important and good does not mean anything if you do not like the channels.

@ orange county it really depends on your t.v viewing habits... i for one think the platinum hd pkg is worth the $ 10.00 dish is asking.. to me the best channel in the pkg is "Epix" "one" of the reason i signed up for dish was for this channel. but to each it's own if you feel that your not getting any value from the platinum pkg then drop it and vice/ versa.

If it is between Platinum and Netflix, Netflix should win hands-down, ESPECIALLY if you own a device (Blu-Ray player, ROKU, etc.) that lets you access streaming Netflix titles through your TV. My wife and I watch a LOT of old to relatively recent TV shows by streaming them through Netflix, because its easier to budget time to spend a half-hour watching TV instead of the time it takes to watch a movie. Netflix also has a very fast turn-around time on shipping DVDs, so in theory we could watch another 10 movies or TV DVDs each month if we could spare the time. Netflix is a GREAT value.

I know some would say that Hulu offers a lot of the same value as Netflix for free, but I've never gotten Hulu to work very well. The picture is always a little jerky. Also, Hulu requires me to hook up a laptop to the TV set, which is a little inconvenient and keeps me from using the laptop for the duration.

4 me yes

For me it is great. If for no other reason than Epix, but thing is if you don't watch the channels on it then it isn't. Is it that hard to decide? It's either you watch the channels or you don't.

Great feedback from everyone, I got to thank you guys! What I'll do is for the next week or two i will start to pay more attention to the package and see if I can get myself to watch those movies/channels, if not, I'll just remove it. I think the real problem is myself, I'm so used to watching big title films that those smaller name titles don't interest me as much because I don't see their commercials,and because it isn't as "big" if you know what I mean. Thank you!

Great feedback from everyone, I got to thank you guys! What I'll do is for the next week or two i will start to pay more attention to the package and see if I can get myself to watch those movies/channels, if not, I'll just remove it. I think the real problem is myself, I'm so used to watching big title films that those smaller name titles don't interest me as much because I don't see their commercials,and because it isn't as "big" if you know what I mean. Thank you!

The four Indiana Jones movies this weekend, Iron Man and Star Trek are not what I call smaller titles. They do a good job of mixing them up.

I was actually really surprised at the newer movies they put on there. They show them sooner than HBO or other premiums. I think it's a great add if you don't want to pay the huge fee for premium movie channels. Less money and more variety on shows to watch, not to mention all in HD.

I was actually really surprised at the newer movies they put on there. They show them sooner than HBO or other premiums. I think it's a great add if you don't want to pay the huge fee for premium movie channels. Less money and more variety on shows to watch, not to mention all in HD.
Exactly, at least out of the gate as HDRoberts noted. EPIX is showing some really good movies in very high quality. Then there are concerts on the other channels, though Palladia is top 250? LOGO shows Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I'll be interested how the video quality will look when they cycle back to Season One.