Is PlatinumHD worth the 10$

I had HD4Life and Platinum HD for $10/mo. Yesterday I dropped PlatinumHD but Dish didn't remove the following channels:

Palladia
HDNet Movies
NDnet Plex
MGMHD
RetroHD
WFNHD

It's been 24 hrs. since the change and all the other Platinum channels were remove within a few minutes. Interesting.

Anyone else noticed this?

I had HD4Life and Platinum HD for $10/mo. Yesterday I dropped PlatinumHD but Dish didn't remove the following channels:

Palladia
HDNet Movies
NDnet Plex
MGMHD
RetroHD
WFNHD

It's been 24 hrs. since the change and all the other Platinum channels were remove within a few minutes. Interesting.

Anyone else noticed this?

I think there's a free preview going on right now.

The best way to decide if it's for you is to pull up the All Channels Guide and look at the movies on the Platinum channels and see if there's anything you can't get on Netflix. I have Platinum and not really a movie fan but have seen a lot of old movies on there (very old) that I would watch. But, I have no interest in Netflix and the Platinum is free in my package.

The best way to decide if it's for you is to pull up the All Channels Guide and look at the movies on the Platinum channels and see if there's anything you can't get on Netflix. I have Platinum and not really a movie fan but have seen a lot of old movies on there (very old) that I would watch. But, I have no interest in Netflix and the Platinum is free in my package.

Should be able to get most of the movies on netflix. Plus I don't think platinum is "free" any more. If you were paying the $10 for HD+Platinum, platinum was bundled in. If you have "HD for life", you can drop platinum and save $10/month

Should be able to get most of the movies on netflix. Plus I don't think platinum is "free" any more. If you were paying the $10 for HD+Platinum, platinum was bundled in. If you have "HD for life", you can drop platinum and save $10/month

I have the Dish Absolute package and the Platinum has always been included in it at no additional cost.

I have the Dish Absolute package and the Platinum has always been included in it at no additional cost.

I wasn't "paying" for it either. I was paying $10 for the HD + Platinum bundle. Platinum was a freebe for me in the past. Now that I have HD for life (my bill has not increased), but I can drop it now and save.

I agree. I dropped my Cinemax package last week because of the end of the penny for a year offer and I'm glad I did. I think the Platinum pack is the best "premium" pack that's offered because of the $10.00 price and the number of different channels you get. With HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax, you might get more channels but they all seem to show the same stuff over & over just at different times. What good is having 5 Cinemax channels if they all play the same thing each day, but switch around which one of the 5 channels they show it on?

Ghpr13:)

The Premium Movie Channels HBO,Cinemax,Showtime and Starz normally show a new movie every Saturday night.;):)

I have dropped the Plat. package for now. I have the DishLatino Max package so I need the Multisports package to get NFL network. I also planned to get Multisports for the Redzone channel. I figured I would not be watching many movies during football season. And didn't want to spend $10 on plat pack and $7 on Multisports. I can always add it back. I have quite a few movies on my EHD that I have not watched yet.

Even if one has netflix?

If you stream in your netflix movies like I do over something like a Wii then its a tie since both have pro's and cons.

Netflix streaming :

Pro's - Near DVD Quality, Free with regular subscription

Con's - Hardly anything to stream worth a damn IMO

PlatinumHD:

Pro's - Great movie selection from many channels like EPIX ( Getting ready to release EPIX3), Multiple channels all in HD even if some of the shows are not.

Con's - As mentioned above some shows are not in HD widescreen format, Its $10,

I've got both and enjoy a little bit of both but then again I have that extra $10 to toss in there for it and I feel I do get my money worth out of it since I think anymore I'm watching these channels vs all the others.

I find it mostly like the old Voom channels: Exciting at first, but they all seem to have 3 movies that they repeat constantly. I'm going to keep a longer watch and see.

I read an article about 'penny-penching' and cutting off excess to save money (in general) in today's economy and it had a section that discussed cable/satellite television. The article basically said that anything more than 'basic' cable (so also 'basic' satellite) should be avoided because most of the content is online (even full episodes)... But the part it really emphasized was how movie-channel packages were a ripoff... said that DVD/BD delivery (and VOD with those services) were much better for money.

dvrexpander said:
If you stream in your netflix movies like I do over something like a Wii then its a tie since both have pro's and cons.

Netflix streaming :

Pro's - Near DVD Quality, Free with regular subscription

Con's - Hardly anything to stream worth a damn IMO

PlatinumHD:

Pro's - Great movie selection from many channels like EPIX ( Getting ready to release EPIX3), Multiple channels all in HD even if some of the shows are not.

Con's - As mentioned above some shows are not in HD widescreen format, Its $10,

I've got both and enjoy a little bit of both but then again I have that extra $10 to toss in there for it and I feel I do get my money worth out of it since I think anymore I'm watching these channels vs all the others.

I stream over my bd player so it's close to hd quality ( on some movies). Plus I get discs in the mail. I want the multi sports package for nfl redzone. So I think i'll drop platinum. To be honost I don't watch those channels that often anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)