Is PlatinumHD worth the 10$

Are there any sport channels in the plat pack, such as cox sports? Saw it listed at one time but do not know.

Was going to drop it today but my mother wants to keep FTV, lol. Just got a new bluray player and with a ps3 and xbox in the house as we decided to get netflix to stream content. We have fios internet 25/25, so the pq on the streaming is great, the HD stuff looks just as good as dish. Makes the plat pack unnecessary if it were not for FTV, would drop it, most of the movies the channels show are on netflix. The exception is shorts, but I have only watched that a few times, the lack of subtitles on some foreign stuff is annoying. Dropped starz today since they have their shows the next day on netflix steaming which is the only reason i have that channel, and most likely will drop hbo and sho after the free three months are up in august. If i dropped all the premiums and plat that would save $43 a month ($516 a year), a net of $312 since i got the 2 disc plan with bluray which allows two simultaneous streams.

well, they won't let me add platinum to the american HD packages, which means if I downgrade, it will be to american HD only @29.99 instead of with platinum @ 39.99. Maybe if I tried to add the platinum online after the fact it would work, since it lets a person choose it on the order screen.

Last edited:
I was actually really surprised at the newer movies they put on there. They show them sooner than HBO or other premiums. I think it's a great add if you don't want to pay the huge fee for premium movie channels. Less money and more variety on shows to watch, not to mention all in HD.

I agree. I dropped my Cinemax package last week because of the end of the penny for a year offer and I'm glad I did. I think the Platinum pack is the best "premium" pack that's offered because of the $10.00 price and the number of different channels you get. With HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax, you might get more channels but they all seem to show the same stuff over & over just at different times. What good is having 5 Cinemax channels if they all play the same thing each day, but switch around which one of the 5 channels they show it on?

Ghpr13:)

That's my feeling. Platinum is definitely worth the $10. It's all that other crap you have to pay for before you're eligible to get Platinum that hacks me off.

i have been losing sleep over this idea! Should i stick with it or remove it to save me 10 bucks? I just want to read YOUR opinions..
I mean, i like the movies, but i rarely watch them because they arent really good to me. The only channel that i do like is Palladia. Dish really effed me over when they changed that channel to platinum.
Im planning on removing this, and getting the 8.99 netflix subscription, good idea or no?

Why does it matter what we think. Is it worth 10 bucks to you? If not, dump it. Why loose sleep over it.

When signing up as a new dish customer, on the second page called adding movies, hd, etc'
there is a box to check for platinum hd. Below that you can click on hd channels included and get a list of the channels included. There are more than 16 channels in the list and it includes some sport channels such as Altitude, Cox Sports, etc.. The question is, do you really get all of those channels?

Exactly, at least out of the gate as HDRoberts noted. EPIX is showing some really good movies in very high quality. Then there are concerts on the other channels, though Palladia is top 250? LOGO shows Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I'll be interested how the video quality will look when they cycle back to Season One.

The Palladia question has really hacked me off. I just did the HD upgrade this weekend and it was partly based on Palladia being listed EVERYWHERE on the Dish site as being part of their basic HD packages AND the HD For Life deal.

It was available to me initially but disappeared after I did the HD for Life sign-up online. I spent a while on the phone with them last night getting conflicting stories from different CSRs. The last one said it's a tech issue and is sending me a new receiver. I'm guessing now, after seeing Dish's HD rundown press release in another thread, that it won't change anything.

Apparently, if you don't do the HD4Life, Palladia and HDTheater remain in your basic HD package. If you do HD4Life, they are only available to you through the Platinum pack. Does this sound right?

Well technically it was switched before but you were paying $10 for the 2 packages. Once you signed up for just the free HD you lost Palladia. If you want it add the Platinum HD channels again.

Apparently, if you don't do the HD4Life, Palladia and HDTheater remain in your basic HD package. If you do HD4Life, they are only available to you through the Platinum pack. Does this sound right?

Yes. I think it just pays to get the HD for Life (if you do not have to pay any outrageous fees). If you have HD without HD for Life you will be paying $10/month. If you have HD for Life with Platinum, then you will be paying $10/month. If you can live without HD Theater and Palladia, then you can save $10 and drop the Platinum add-on. However, remember that downgrading will likely cost one a one-time $5 downgrade fee.

We were put into HD for Life since we initially had HD and Platinum.

Chances are I'll end up springing for the Platinum package at some point. I'm just feeling a little gamed by Dish right now. If you go to their HD for Life page and click on the available HD channels through that program...there's Palladia. I sort of took that to mean that I'd get Palladia with the HD for Life deal. Guess you can't believe everything you see on the internet. :mad:

I just dumped platinum last night. While I do find something on EPIX on rare occasion, I just wasn't watching any of the channels enough to justify the $10/month. The only reason I had the platinum HD in the first place was because it was included with HD when I signed up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)