Is professional installation of CINEMA Connection with Whole Home DVR really needed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BobStokesbary

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Southern California
DirecTV recently installed a new double DVR system (2 - HR24's) with Whole Home DVR. Despite mentioning I have an internet connection, CINEMA Connection never made it to the work order. They now want $75 for the unit and installation. The unit alone is $25 compared with a powered DECA at around $60. So, I would really like to track down the hardware and install it myself. I really cannot see what would be so difficult doing a self-install since I did all the wiring for the CAT 5e and coax lines myself.

Any idea why is DirecTV so insistent on having a professional install on this item? They won't sell the box without it.

Thanks,
Bob

Call DirecTV and complain that the Internet Connection Kit (Cinema Connection?) was not installed with your install of Whole Home DVR. It should have been included. I suspect that by mentioning that you have an internet connection, they assumed you already had the units connected to your home network and thus left off the internet connection DECA.

To repeat, this was a new install for a new customer. I was told by DirecTV to call the installer and let them know of the mistake. Called the installer and they said it was not on the work order, and I would have to have DirecTV issue a new work order. Called back to DirecTV and they said too bad; it is $75 to correct the "oversight".

I just don't see why I cannot do this myself. Still looking for information.

My SWM power unit is behind my HR24. If I wanted to do this myself do I just put a 1x2 splitter after the SWM power unit and run one leg from the splitter to the HR24 and the other leg to the DECA adapter? Will an old cable splitter work?

Last edited:
My SWM power unit is behind my HR24. If I wanted to do this myself do I just put a 1x2 splitter after the SWM power unit and run one leg from the splitter to the HR24 and the other leg to the DECA adapter? Will an old cable splitter work?

No, you need a "green label" splitter which will carry the frequencies used, plus provide additional coupling for the DECA frequencies.

DIRECTV SWS-2 Satellite 2-Way Wide Band MRV Compatible Splitter (2 -2150 MHz) - DIRECTV - SPLIT2MRV - 874409002404

Let me clarify the purpose of my post. Is there anything special I need to know to install a DECA or CINEMA Connection unit? Yes I know you need a powered DECA connected to a coax that goes to the green labeled splitter. This is too simple to require a professional installer! What do I need to know beyond that?

Let me clarify the purpose of my post. Is there anything special I need to know to install a DECA or CINEMA Connection unit? Yes I know you need a powered DECA connected to a coax that goes to the green labeled splitter. This is too simple to require a professional installer! What do I need to know beyond that?

Its very simple. Pretty much split the cable with an approved splitter and then hook an eithernet cable to your router.

Is this right?

Code:
WALL------SWM Power-----green splitter------HR24
                           |
                            ------------DECA-----router.
Which leg gets the dc passthrough?

Or is it:
Code:
WALL----green splitter ---SWM Power----------HR24
              |
              ------------DECA-----router.
With the DC passthrough flowing between the wall and the SWM power unit?

Neither really. Try:
Code:
WALL --- SWM Power------green splitter (red insert)---SWM box/SWM LNB
                      same green splitter (white insert)--------------HR24
                       same green splitter (white insert)
                                      |---DECA----------------router
WALL------------------DECA Power------------|
--- or -----
Code:
WALL --- SWM Power(red terminal)------green splitter (red insert)---SWM box/SWM LNB
        SWM Power(white terminal) ----------HR 24
                                  same green splitter (white insert)
                                          |---DECA----------------router
WALL---------------------DECA Power------------|

I think that is the same way I wrote it. At lest your 2nd one looks like something I wrote out. I think it was because I omitted the power source for the SWM power module and DECA. "WALL" simply meant the coax coming out of my wall. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

BobStokesbary said:

If you can install then this is everything else:

Once you got ICK connected.

Power all HD boxes off.

Power on 1 HD dvr then wait until you see programming until you power on the other.

Go to Menu
Favs, Setup
System Setup
Network
Advanced
(please wait)
Connect now
(congratulations)

Repeat for 2nd

Note: make sure sure the IP's are different

If you got standard boxes then they need a band stop filter on them

SA Holly Springs GA,
Thank you, thank you, thank you. That was exactly the information I was looking for. I have 2 HR24s and a H12 with band stop already in. I can handle this.
Bob

This Cinema Plus add-on has me confused too. It appears to be a BOX. I have a DECA MRV with the Internet Connection Kit (ICD). I can do VOD. My "ICD" appears to be just another DECA device with an F Connector Power Inserter on one end to a wall outlet and an F Connector to my DirecTV cabling and an RJ45 connection to my Internet Router on the other.

What is this BOX they selling for Cinema Plus? Is Cinema Plus something that I don't already have?

The box:

Wireless_internet_connection_kit.jpg

This DirecTV quote is what confuses me, "Please note: If you have Whole-Home DVR service, you will need to order the CINEMA Connection Kit with professional installation"

What is the "Cinema Connection Kit"?

Last edited:
schneid,
To my understanding there is no functional difference between the CCK and a powered DECA. The biggest difference is that the box you picture sells for $25 (but does not appear to be available from anyone other than DirecTV today and they demand professional installation for $49) and the DECA + power supply that runs about $60 from internet suppliers.

Now that I know it is essentially a simple network boot-up process(which is necessary when you disconnect and reconnect a recorder from a Whole Home DVR setup) I am just going to wait a few months until some of the internet sites get access to these boxes and I will buy it then.

I still don't have a clue what the Cinema Plus BOX is or does. That said, I don't know what Cinema Plus is either. I have MRV. I have DECA. I have VOD. I have PPV. I have TV Apps. What am I missing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)