Is professional installation of CINEMA Connection with Whole Home DVR really needed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This Cinema Plus add-on has me confused too. It appears to be a BOX. I have a DECA MRV with the Internet Connection Kit (ICD). I can do VOD. My "ICD" appears to be just another DECA device with an F Connector Power Inserter on one end to a wall outlet and an F Connector to my DirecTV cabling and an RJ45 connection to my Internet Router on the other.

What is this BOX they selling for Cinema Plus? Is Cinema Plus something that I don't already have?

The box:

View attachment 57880

This DirecTV quote is what confuses me, "Please note: If you have Whole-Home DVR service, you will need to order the CINEMA Connection Kit with professional installation"

What is the "Cinema Connection Kit"?

Picture appears to be the Cisco-Linksys WET610N Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming and Video Adapter aka a Wireless Ethernet Bridge...

WOW! The whole thing was sooooo easy! I purchased the new DECA (DECABB1MR0-01 aka Cinema Connection kit) on ebay for a bit less than what DirecTV wanted for their unit. Since I already had a splitter in the attic and a second wire to the living room (since DirecTV tech support originally told me I needed 2 coax cables to my primary receiver --oops) I was basically ready to go. I hooked up the DECA in the front room, went up in the attic and attached the second line to the splitter and everything worked just beautifully! (I already had a cat 5e line to the front room in anticipation of having D* do all the installation on this. The CSR just did not have it on the work-order.)

I was expecting to have to unplug everything and restart each receiver. I didn't have to do anything like that. So, for anyone concerned about how difficult it is to hookup the Cinema Connection to whole house DVR, the answer is: "Simple as falling off a log." Maybe someone else has an idea why D* insists on charging for an install when you buy the DECA from them. I sure don't understand it.

Sorry for the delay closing this, but we had commitments that took us out of town for the last month.

Last edited:
Hey, I fell off of a log once, it wasn't so simple! :D Seriously, I'm glad you got it up and running. Being persistent is a good thing sometimes!

Picture:
deca-diagram3.jpg

Or, do like I did. Just buy your DECA here. Twenty-eight bucks for the whole thing. I bought from this vendor and can vouch that he ships very quickly (I had my unit in 2 days) and his product works. Getting the whole white DECA with the separate power supply is just a waste of money.

Here's my setup. Living Room (1) HR24, Master Bedroom (1) HD Receiver "Not a DVR", Upstairs Bedroom (1) Standard Def Receiver with Filter on line.

The whole home DVR is setup but nothing is connected to the internet. I want to connect my HR24 and read somewhere it has a built in DECA. I currently have a Linksys Wireless Bridge connected to a 5 Port Switch which connects my XBOX, Wii and Blue Ray Player to the internet. What would I need to do to accomplish this?

The "approved" method is to purchase a "Cinema Connection Kit" (aka DECABB1MR0-01), connect a coax line from the DECA to an open port on your splitter, and plug an ethernet cable from your router to the DECA. You can figure out what locations for each of the components would work best for you. Just know that the DECA needs power, so you need to locate it close to a wall outlet. As for cost, I just saw a DECA advertised on ebay for $13.99 plus $5.91 shipping.

The DECA is simply a twisted pair to coax converter. If you look at your router table you will see both your HD receiver and DVR individually attached to your router.

My installer's technical support told him that connecting the internet to the HR24 would cause problems with "whole home DVR". (Some have disputed that, I only know what my installer was told.)

Here's my setup. Living Room (1) HR24, Master Bedroom (1) HD Receiver "Not a DVR", Upstairs Bedroom (1) Standard Def Receiver with Filter on line.

The whole home DVR is setup but nothing is connected to the internet. I want to connect my HR24 and read somewhere it has a built in DECA. I currently have a Linksys Wireless Bridge connected to a 5 Port Switch which connects my XBOX, Wii and Blue Ray Player to the internet. What would I need to do to accomplish this?

The issue is plugging an ethernet cable into the back of the HR24 disables the DECA. So do what Bob said, get a Cinema Connection Kit. You connect it to a SWiM splitter, the other end to your router. Here is one at Solid Signal:

DIRECTV DECA Broadband with power supply (DECABB1R0) - DIRECTV - DECABB1R0 -

DECABB1R0_zoom.jpg

Two hr23 boxes one next to the router

I have two HR23 boxes in seperate rooms. One of my boxes is next to the router and is currently connected to it. So if i get this right this means i need a deca unit DECA1MR0-01 and then a deca unit connected to the internet? Is there anything else I will need or not need for the whole home dvr installation?

Will I also still have to pay the $3 bucks a month?

I have two HR23 boxes in seperate rooms. One of my boxes is next to the router and is currently connected to it. So if i get this right this means i need a deca unit DECA1MR0-01 and then a deca unit connected to the internet? Is there anything else I will need or not need for the whole home dvr installation?

Will I also still have to pay the $3 bucks a month?

Yes, that's the price of the service which you would need to have them activate.

All MRV compatible receivers other then the 24's need receiver DECA's for MRV to work.
They look like this

DECA%20Module%5B31%5D.jpg

A receiver DECA can also be used as a Broad Band DECA if you have a separate DECA power supply like this

deca_power_supply_ps18dero-01__98648_zoom.jpg

This is a Broad Band DECA

140.jpg

It comes with its own power supply.

Here is an example wiring diagram

deca-mrv-internet.jpg

If you have a SWM LNB, you will eliminate the SWM Multiswitch.
There are multiple ways this system can be wired in, including using additional splitters. (i.e. line coming in to the receiver in the same room as the router can be split running one to the receiver and one to the Broad Band DECA instead of running a separate line all the way to the first splitter.)

Also, you can wire the 23 directly in to the router using the second ethernet port on the receiver (also with the HR21, HR22, R22) but most will recommend not to and to just get the separate Broad Band DECA.

Ive read through this topic and just wanted to make sure I get the right thing to get my setup working. I have two hr24 right now that are working with the whole home dvr setup. I have a Linksys wireless bridge which I can plug into the receiver and the network features work fine. However when doing this it breaks the whole home service. Reading through this thread and looking on directv's site it seems that this is normal.

So what are my options to get the wholehome server working with the receiver plugged into my wireless bridge without having to purchase the Direct Cinema kit with professional installation.

A broad band deca connected to your router with cat5 and to the swm splitter with coax.

If you follow read the post above yours and follow the diagram, it will show you how.

Help With Whole Home DVR Setup

I hope I'm posting in the right area, and I also hope I haven't overlooked my answers (someone else might have answered this and I missed it). Anyway, I have done a lot of research on the subject of DirecTV Whole House DVR service but haven't found the answer to my question and hope some folks on here might help me. If a person already has an existing ethernet network (Cat 5 drops attached to a router/switch), would there be any need for the extra equipment that is talked about? It looks like all that equipment is good for is to provide ethernet to receivers that don't have an ethernet drop (as a lot of homes don't have any data cabling). If I already have my own completed network (and of course have the required HD DVR and HD receivers required to make the service work), could I not go ahead and network my receivers and get DirecTV to turn on the service? I don't want a professional installer to come to my house because I already have a wired network, and I don't want them fooling around with it. I installed my system myself (SWM and all) and don't feel like I need their help. I'm glad to pay the few dollars a month for the service but don't want to fork out the money for a professional installation if I don't need it. Thanks for any info you good folks might send my way. And again, if I have just missed the answer because I'm cross-eyed from reading so much this evening, please forgive me!

the bottom line is it not "needed" you can (and I do) do it yourself. What is your current setup for a bit more detailed answer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts