Is Radio Shack hopeless for this hobby, or is it just mine?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Very Surprised! I've not been there in over a year, and even then it was a waste of time. Years ago, I would go there several times week.

I have 4 Radio Shacks within 5 miles of my house. Any of them are empty when you go in.

Or you go in and there is one person working trying to sell a 90 year old lady a cell phone and hes on the phone trying to run her credit. So you need to wait 15 minutes to pay for your $1.99 cable splitter. Arrgg!

Everyone dissing Radio Shack must live in or near big cities with more options... while not as good as they used to be they still have things not found elsewhere.

I think the one here is the owners fault, it is not a company store. He has the franchise name. He never keeps it stocked right...I am in a smallish town.

I would like to know how much has been squandered by management over the past 10-15 years in store remodels/floor plan changes. There are locations that have moved shelves and displays 20 - 40 times or more. You would think that one could master a display of batteries or headphones at some point.

There is a franchise store about 45 miles north of me in a smaller town that is an electronics store with home theater stuff as well as Radio Shack stock that is better than ours...

I prefer the fanchise stores, nobody hounds you to death, and they can carry stuff besides just what Radio Shack approves. This store used to be great around here, but new owners and it is ridiculous to say the least.

I think the one here is the owners fault, it is not a company store. He has the franchise name. He never keeps it stocked right...I am in a smallish town.
They must have did away with 'force feed' stocking. BITD I worked at a franchise store and every month you got this product if you wanted it or not. (But had to pay for) "Force Feed" Even then, there was a LOT that ended up in storage.

They must have did away with 'force feed' stocking. BITD I worked at a franchise store and every month you got this product if you wanted it or not. (But had to pay for) "Force Feed" Even then, there was a LOT that ended up in storage.

Must have, I used to work there and you are right I forgot about that.

The guy who went in for a 22khz switch should've taken a camera crew, that would've made a super Youtube video , lol.

I used to go in RS all the time years ago and buy PCB boards for projects along with various components. Favorites was when they were clearancing out old stock so I could get LED's, switches, and other neat goodies for about 25 cents each.

Now that store is just about worthless especially the one here. If it isnt pizza dish or cell phones you are SOL

I still go to one of the locations near me if I need the odd connector that's cheaper than price+shipping online, or clearance stuff (RG6, antenna amplifier).

Sounds like my corporate-owned Walgreens. We have massive amounts of unsellable stuff in the stock room waiting for more room on the clearance rack.

I don't suppose anyone has the Cat. number for a RadioShack BUD? I wouldn't be surprised if a store or two still had one collecting dust...

I don't suppose anyone has the Cat. number for a RadioShack BUD? I wouldn't be surprised if a store or two still had one collecting dust...
Sure do here is the one for the 8.5 foot.
16-2502 8.5' Satellite Dish Antenna

Seems to me they use cell phones to generate volume and hard to find items to make profits. Where else can you walk into and purchase a police scanner, shortwave radio receiver, or large ota antenna.

Seems to me they use cell phones to generate volume and hard to find items to make profits. Where else can you walk into and purchase a police scanner, shortwave radio receiver, or large ota antenna.
To drive to our "local" (60 miles one way) store ,,,, only to have to listen to a sales pitch about the latest deals on the phones they sell -- "will save you money if you change to xxx provider" when I have been with the same company for almost 14 years - and with their predecessor since 1988 - (NO THANKS!) and find they can not (will not) even special order something for me.

Where is the dead horse icon? Ratty has been dead for years... (Old Allied Radio Store customer!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)