OTHER Is RG-6 required for fta?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

M-2 Hydra

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
Louisiana
Im am working on my travel trailer and want to run coaxial cable for a FTA Ku dish and need to know if there is any advantage to RG-6 or if any coaxial cable will work.
Any info is appreciated

I am running coaxial in my travel trailer for a FTA Ku dish and want to know if i can use any old coaxial cable or if there is any advantage to RG-6 coaxial cable. Any info is appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 150
Yes, it needs to be good quality RG-6. Any coax will not work as the impedance could be wrong. This will greatly attenuate the signal. Your cable needs to be 75 ohm. Also, this is just not being used solely for receiving a signal. There is also voltage being sent up the coax to power the LNB(f). There is smaller cheaper 75 ohm coax, such as RG-59. However, not at all recommended to be used for this application. Also, the smaller coax will have greater attenuation once again.
So, stick with RG-6. Decent RG-6 coax cable is not too expensive and you will save yourself a lot of headache.

Yes, it needs to be good quality RG-6. Any coax will not work as the impedance could be wrong. This will greatly attenuate the signal. Your cable needs to be 75 ohm. Also, this is just not being used solely for receiving a signal. There is also voltage being sent up the coax to power the LNB(f). There is smaller cheaper 75 ohm coax, such as RG-59. However, not at all recommended to be used for this application. Also, the smaller coax will have greater attenuation once again.
So, stick with RG-6. Decent RG-6 coax cable is not too expensive and you will save yourself a lot of headache.
Do you know if any splitters or those combine one cable to another cable adapter will obstruct the signal at all because i want to run it to two places in my trailer and dont want to weaken my signal if i can help it. And does 75 ohm mean the resistance between the inner copper core to the outside ground or just from one end to another? I was a bit confused on that part

Do you know if any splitters or those combine one cable to another cable adapter will obstruct the signal at all because i want to run it to two places in my trailer and dont want to weaken my signal if i can help it. And does 75 ohm mean the resistance between the inner copper core to the outside ground or just from one end to another? I was a bit confused on that part
75 ohms is the reactance (not resistance) from the inner core to the outer shield at RF frequency.

The DC resistance between the core and outer shield is near infinite.

Just get RG6 and you will be good to go. I got mine in bulk 500 foot rolls at Home Depot.

Do you know if any splitters or those combine one cable to another cable adapter will obstruct the signal at all because i want to run it to two places in my trailerand dont want to weaken my signal if i can help it.
75 ohms is the reactance (not resistance) from the inner core to the outer shield at RF frequency.

The DC resistance between the core and outer shield is near infinite.

Just get RG6 and you will be good to go. I got mine in bulk 500 foot rolls at Home Depot.
Ok thanks

Do you know if any splitters or those combine one cable to another cable adapter will obstruct the signal at all because i want to run it to two places in my trailerand dont want to weaken my signal if i can help it.

Ok thanks
There are no splitters like you are thinking of. Each receiver location will need a separate cable connection to the LNB(F) on the dish.

Reactions: Comptech and KE4EST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts