Is the 612 good unit?

lern4483

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
Pompano beach, Fl
I have a tech in my home installing new line for kids fun room.
Had planned a 722.

Guy was cool enough to tell me I could save 7 bucks for single dvr unit.
the 612.

I have no plans for a a second tuner use out of kids room.

Any thoughts???

I've had mine a year with no problems. And if you do a bit of searching here, you should notice that there are few complaints about it over the last year.

I have three of them, no complaints. Early on they had problems, but all seems good now.

I had a buggy VIP 612 for three months when I first signed up with Dishnetwork. It would randomly reboot and when the picture came back nine times out of ten it would reboot again. You could not watch a PPV movie because the HDCP button in the menu was greyed out and could not be reset. The picture would also "jump" every couple of minutes. Dish wanted to send me another 612 but I upgraded to the VIP 722K and have had absolutely no trouble with the unit. I'm not trying to dismay you over the 612 but I would never accept another one. YMMV.

The 722 is worth the extra fee. The 612 is less reliable and does not have as many features, e.g. PiP, upgraded VOD interface, Sling capabable, etc.

612 is like all DISH products buggy as all outdoors at introduction and smooths out over the next year. Mine ocassionally needs a reboot but I would call it stable and $7 x12mo. is a saving.

Do the kids really need a DVR?
You could do a 211 with an ext harddrive

Unfortunately, Yes.

Kids do lots of recording.

Well, they put in the 612. Reminds me of the 622.
So far so good.

Picture looks real good!

My 722 in my living room was acting buggy from
a storm that hit us last week. Its been rebooting non stop.
Lucky I bought the protection plan.

I told the tech and he immediately replaced it with a 722k.
Happy about it but not sure I see a difference from the 722?

Nice to have a current machine though.

I told the tech and he immediately replaced it with a 722k.
Happy about it but not sure I see a difference from the 722?

Nice to have a current machine though.

Out of the box, there isn't much. But with the optional OTA module, you can record two OTAs and two Sats at a time.

Pretty much the 722k is cheaper to manufacture without the built-in OTA which hardly anybody uses anyways.

Also, I would never suggest a 612 just because I've seen too many with problems

I got my 722k specifically for the twin OTA tuners (back when you could still actually ask for one and be sure to get it) and I love it, able to recored 4 HD programs at the same time if needed - OTA tuner is solid as a rock.

Don't go by posts of people who do not own a 612, or do not own one now. They are very stable. There will always be someone saying they have a 612 that is not stable, just as those with a 722. I am saving $14 a month with them and two get a ton of use, the other often.

I couldn't recommend the 612 at all. I had one for 2 months and there was really bad pixelation problems with it, in addition to it being slow and buggy. Upgraded to the 722K and all the problems went away.