Is the Genie 2 portable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

skorch

Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
NY
Hi, I'm trying to find info about the portability of the Genie 2. I am upgrading from the Genie HD DVR due to the HDMI out no longer working and the component outputs are grainy. We currently take the Genie with us to our camp when we are there. Will I be able to do the same thing with the Genie 2? If it isn't as "portable", does anyone know if I could just get a replacement Genie DVR? We don't have internet access at the camp either. Thank you in advance!

No.

From memory the Genie 2 is just a whole home server, it does not even have a HDMI output on it.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys. :D

Hi, I'm trying to find info about the portability of the Genie 2. I am upgrading from the Genie HD DVR due to the HDMI out no longer working and the component outputs are grainy. We currently take the Genie with us to our camp when we are there. Will I be able to do the same thing with the Genie 2? If it isn't as "portable", does anyone know if I could just get a replacement Genie DVR? We don't have internet access at the camp either. Thank you in advance!
:welcome to Satelliteguys skorch!
The Genie 2 requires a client connected to the tv whereas the Genie you have now doesn't need a client. As long as you bring both the Genie 2 and the client it will work. Personally I would ask for an HR54 Genie as a replacement since you probably have the HR44 now. It will do 4k with the C61k client but will work on it's own for regular hd without the client.

Reactions: Claude Greiner
just get a replacement, its less of a headache
if you have any other dvrs, they will also be replaced with clients, as they do not work with the genie2

Thank you for the input! I called last week to get the new box and have an appt on Wednesday. I will request a replacement box vs getting the genie 2. Btw, the "helpful" CSR tried to get me to accept the new electronic coverage by saying she was adding it because I was "eligible". She never disclosed additional cost for the coverage, just tried to add it on. Good thing I was looking at my account online while talking to Directv so I saw what the additional cost was and said no.

Thank you for the input! I called last week to get the new box and have an appt on Wednesday. I will request a replacement box vs getting the genie 2. Btw, the "helpful" CSR tried to get me to accept the new electronic coverage by saying she was adding it because I was "eligible". She never disclosed additional cost for the coverage, just tried to add it on. Good thing I was looking at my account online while talking to Directv so I saw what the additional cost was and said no.
You should have the changes you want on the order before the tech gets there, it may be difficult to change in the moment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)