Is their any good reason to have a 16foot C-band satellite dish any more?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

C64C64!!

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
I have to ask. This is a stationary dish. I think the neighbors would kill me. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• DSC_0021.JPG
    DSC_0021.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 297
I'd have to try to find a way to motorize it. I think there are occasional 32APSK ESPN and NASCAR signals on 87W that it would sure help out with.

Edit: Might even be able to get the Luken channels regularly.:)

Last edited:
If there's no HOA, or local regulation against, go for it. (If you have the room, why not???)[bragging rights alone warrant that much] (??????)Are you sure that's a 16 ft dish? The (little?) voice inside my head says it is a 10{maybe 12}.

If its really that big, and you have lots of help, or maybe own a crane, etc, it'd be something to own. But if you're in a city or someplace with restrictions I would forget about it.
Wouldn't it be something to have in the country though? LOL

There is a similar 16' dish sitting unused at a local hotel in Roseville, CA. Not sure of the surface accuracy on this vintage. Would the large reflector even provide increased performance? Many of these were installed prior to 2 degree satellite spacing and don't do well with the tighter spacing. I am sure that it cost a fortune when new, but wouldn't mess with it now. It weighs a ton and would be an incredible project to motorize.

I would look for a more modern product. There are many 3 - 5 meter dishes (many motorized) out there that are sitting unused on commercial buildings. Many of them are TX/RX, so are built to very strict specifications and are very high quality builds. If you have the space, wait for the right one. Check with a broadcast equipment broker. Often these larger dishes can be had for the transportation cost.

Hmm might have too. However I am going to have to do something cool to make it acceptable. I am on good terms with the neighbors and that is IMPORTANT owning a home in the big city. Or is there anyone in the Milwaukee area wishing they had this. I would help out and use my own truck, as long as they pay for gas. It's on Milwaukee Craigslist. It might be a 12 footer, definitely not a 10 footer. It's.. freaking huge look at it compared to my truck.

I have many other dishes to use. I wanted to ask because I am a junk collector and wanted to know, scrap it or reuse it. Probably worth $60 to $80 in scrap.

I have many other dishes to use. I wanted to ask because I am a junk collector and wanted to know, scrap it or reuse it. Probably worth $60 to $80 in scrap.
16,32 APSK signals...No way it would find the scrapyard here.Am looking for a 16 footer or larger.Hard to find in these parts!.

I may have to head back with an angle grinder. I don't know what I would do with it however. where could I sell it or unload it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)