Is there a difference having games on Thanksgiving and Christmas?

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
Very simply put, I've noticed that there are a lot of games on the day before Thanksgiving, on Thanksgiving and the day after Thanksgiving. Now, do you think there would be a problem if there were games on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? I now the NFL has games on Christmas Eve this year but its not a yearly thing, I dont believe. What about some of those lesser bowl games on Christmas Eve or college basketball on Christmas Eve? I know some people will be up and arms about it but does it really matter?

Whats the difference having games on Thanksgiving or Christmas? The holiday will still be celebrated. If teams play on Christmas Eve, they still have the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to celebrate. I dont really hear any people complain about playing on Thanksgiving. I mean Villanova and St. Louis played in Anaheim today. UNC-Asheville and Uconn played yesterday in the Bahamas. What do you guys think?

Yeah. I know that Christmas is big but Thanksgiving is big too. It bigger than St. Patrick's Day.

Typically , there are games on Christmas and Eve, NFL if the week falls right and NCAA Bowl games, never the Big games though as they are scheduled later in the month.

Edit:
Looks like it's Christmas Eve I'm thinking of.

Im just saying have a few games. They dont have to be "game of the century" type games, just a few games.

I'm not found of bowl games on Newyears eve night.... I'm busy drinking the night away and hate to miss a few good games.

Back about 25 years ago, it was always the long departed Bluebonnet Bowl (played at the Houston Astrodome) on NYE night. NYE day was usually the Peach Bowl (Atlanta) and Sun Bowl (El Paso).

Generally speaking, the NFL likes to stay away from playing games on Christmas Eve night and Christmas Day afternoon, although there have been exceptions.

The reason why I asked (and I didnt do it to be a wiseguy or anything) was that I had thought Turkey Day and Christmas kind of went hand in hand. I thought they were somewhat equal. Like I said, whether the games are on Christmas Eve or Day, the holiday will still be celebrated.

Yeah. I know that Christmas is big but Thanksgiving is big too. It bigger than St. Patrick's Day.

Christmas is a HUGE religious and secular holiday, and family time. Thanksgiving is a HUGE time for family gatherings. (There are a few exceptions, like Iceberg.)

St. Patrick's Day?? Are you serious?? Doesn't compare to either......not even close....

Christmas Eve there is the Hawaii Bowl and the NFL only if needed (ie: this year when X-Mas is on Sunday)
Christmas there is the NBA (I guess) and the NFL only if its on a common day (Saturday/Sunday/Monday)

Thanksgiving there has always been at least 2 NFL games, a college game and a couple b-ball tourneys. Now there is 3 NFL, 2 college and a bunch of cbb tourneys. People are use to turning on the TV when they are done eating (what else is there to do?).

Christmas is a HUGE religious and secular holiday, and family time. Thanksgiving is a HUGE time for family gatherings. (There are a few exceptions, like Iceberg.)

St. Patrick's Day?? Are you serious?? Doesn't compare to either......not even close....

I know that Turkey Day and Christmas are bigger than St. Patrick's Day. I was illustrating a point using that day as an example.

I think the reason that is being thrown in the mix is Mets82 says Turkey Day and Christmas are the same because you spend it with family. I said "Thats like saying 4th of July and St Patrick's Day are the same because you get drunk"

And consider the fact that there are some fanatics, if there were sports all over Christmas Eve & Day they would totally ignore the family...

dfergie, I agree with you to a certain extent. You can say that about Turkey Day as well as there is wall to wall football. I will say I wouldnt mind some if maybe a handful of games on Christmas Eve and Day. If there comes a point that you just ignore your family and watch sports all time, whether it be on a holiday or not, I think you have to re-evaluate your priorities.