Is There A Point?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

trailerparkboy

Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
First let me say, I love the forum :) been reading here for ages and it was through this forum that I originally got all my info to setup my motorized dish over a year ago. Satellite dshes aren't anything new to me but motorized FTA was. I can honestly say without this forum I would have gotten nowhere as all the satellite dealers in my area i was able to find either suggest BUD or the illegal stuff :mad: They do all sell FTA equipment but seem to know almost nothing about it, then I found satelliteguys :)

Now that I've said that, I've been planning to upgrade to a 1.2 meter dish from my 33 inch. I have my dish mounted on a pole to clear the trees and houses behind me and it works very well but I want to go with a bigger dish to improve the signal. I'd love to go with a 6 footer or bigger but I have no clear shot from ground level so I doubt I'd get a signal with it. From what I know about c-band, tress houses and other obstructions will block your signal. Anyway lol On to the question. I read today (on here) about a c/ku band lnb (the BSC621-2 C/Ku LNBF) and I'm wondering if there is any point to mounting one of these on a 1.2 meter dish? I'm planning on a solid dish not mesh. Would I pick up anything new other than what I presently get FTA with my linear and ciruclar lnb's? I'd be pleased if I were to pick up any new channels regardless of language or content. Satellite dishes are my hobby (obsession? lol) adding even one new channel would make investment in a C/ku lnb worth it to me. I greatly appreciate any replies :)

Last edited:
You really need at least a 6' dish for C-Band anything smaller is a "Fun Project"

PSB said:
You really need at least a 6' dish for C-Band anything smaller is a "Fun Project"

Is there a way use smaller dishes to make up the surface needed? I think it would be an issue of angles.

Sure some members use smaller dish and I even had limited success with a 40" dish and some C-Band signals. But for reliable C-Band signals you NEED a 6' dish minimum.

Appreciate the replies :) I understand the need for the larger dish, and I really do wish the houses behind mine weren't there lol But barring a sinkhole opening up and clearing a path for me, I kind of have to play with what I can. I was curious as to whether or not I could see any succes with the c-band lnb and the more I look around (and having read your post) the more I see it's at least worth playing with. I don't expect it to give me perfect tv, I have a subscription to Bell Expressvu for that lol I just want something to expand my setup and pull in a little more :)

Thanks again and I'll keep checking back on the thread if anyone esle happens to chime in with thier success or lack there of lol Have a good one ::cheers::

With C-Band do you run in to the same problem you have with KU? Will you miss a lot of tps using a 6 footer that you would otherwise see using a 10 feeter, 12 footer, etc.? I'm guessing so, but since I don't know nutin about C-Band yet, I figured I'd ask.

voomvoom said:
If the houses behind you are not in the way of your 33" dish, I don't see how they would interfere with a C-band dish or a 1.2m dish.

Al

He could be like me and have the KU dishes on the roof but the C-band can't (my C-Band is on the deck which does cut alot of my LOS) :)

Let me revise this question, how clear does the shot really need to be to make C-band work? I have a huge backyard, Despite all the trees and such I have more then a hundred feet facing south from the back of my house to the fence and the treeline. A neighbour across the block (don't know why it didn't occur to me in over 10 years lol) has a c-band crunched into his tiny little backyard and still does get some signals. His dish is beyond blocked, but yet still does function.

Could I make decent use of a C-band dish without a clear south shot given the room I have? Regardless of experiencing some signal troubles I'd still be willing to give it a go. Any thoughts?

To voomvoom, when I say my 33 inch is on a pole, I'm not kidding lol It sits up higher then the corner of my roof and is attached there. It used to be a pole for a massive CB antenna back when I was into that ages ago. It will easily support a 1.2 meter dish and so will my motor, but obviously anything bigger on that pole is out of the question.

Does not matter if its DBS, Ku or C-Band A clear line of sight to the satellite is required. Think of the signal as a flashlight beam, ANYTHING comes between the satellite and your dish will block the signals!

All the satellites are at the same place in the sky (Clarke Belt) So if you can see Ku signals you can see C-Band signals.

trailerparkboy said:
Let me revise this question, how clear does the shot really need to be to make C-band work? I have a huge backyard, Despite all the trees and such I have more then a hundred feet facing south from the back of my house to the fence and the treeline. A neighbour across the block (don't know why it didn't occur to me in over 10 years lol) has a c-band crunched into his tiny little backyard and still does get some signals. His dish is beyond blocked, but yet still does function.

I suspect you have a clear shot at more satellites than you think. If you've got 100 feet before you get to the tree line you ought to be able to at least get a lot of the sats around your true south and probably a lot more. You can calculate the height you can clear with some basic geometry. Just take the tangent of the elevation angle for a satellite you're trying to get and multiply it times the distance to the nearest potential obstruction. Say for the sake of argument you're looking for a bird at 30 degrees elevation. The tangent of 30 degrees is .577. If you've got 100 feet of linear feet, then you ought to be able to clear obstructions 57.7 (100 X .577) feet tall or shorter. At 45 degrees (tan 45 = 1) elevation you can clear 100 foot obstructions.

Like Pete said, if you can get the KU signal you'll get the C signal too. Maybe you should temporarily move your KU dish to ground level and see what all is visible.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, I appreaciate all the replies :) I got sucked away from my internet life for while lol

I did move the dish to about four feet above ground level on a tripod that I use for aiming an 18 inch expressvu dish and sub reciever when camping, yes I'm one of those take the tv people lol I was able to get a good strong signal on every single sateliite that I got when the dish was up on the pole...boy I feel a little dim witted right now *d'oh*

At any rate, my brother and I will be checking out a few used c-band dishes locally when he gets back from his vacation next week and hopefully I'll be able to begin my new adventure by the middle of august *crossing fingers*. Thanks again for all the help guys, and especially for the suggestion about trying the dish at ground level :) much appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts