Fortec Is there any active Ku band transponders on 81°W Galaxy 9?

dsmith0429

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
Lake Placid, FL
Is there any active Ku band transponders on 81°W Galaxy 9 that I can use to align my dish? The reason I ask is because that is my True South position, and I'm trying to align my dish as accurate as possible. Or can I use 83.0°W AMC 9 instead?

There is no Galaxy 9 or 81°W location at this time. You will need to use 83°W AMC 9 unless you have equipment that can lock on 82°W Nimiq 4
And since you are in Florida, you are way out of that footprint.

There is no Galaxy 9 or 81°W location at this time. You will need to use 83°W AMC 9 unless you have equipment that can lock on 82°W Nimiq 4
And since you are in Florida, you are way out of that footprint.

What about AMC 5 80.9°W or Goes 1 81.2°W? I used a program called Satellite Finder 5.2 to find these, but I can't find any info on transponders for these. Are these also out of my footprint?

I think those are Inclined or Declined - not in the same plane as the other Sats (no good for aiming a Dish for TV)

Use AMC9 @ 83w. You will be 1.5 degrees off to start. Then setup receiver for USALS, have it move to 83w, and readjust Azimuth 1.5 degrees to the East for peak signal.
11840 H 26666 is a nice TP to try for - it's a data signal, so no TV channels will show.
Or....
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=83+AMC+9

Last edited:
I think those are Inclined or Declined - not in the same plane as the other Sats (no good for aiming a Dish for TV)

Use AMC9 @ 83w. You will be 1.5 degrees off to start. Then setup receiver for USALS, have it move to 83w, and readjust Azimuth 1.5 degrees to the East for peak signal.
11840 H 26666 is a nice TP to try for - it's a data signal, so no TV channels will show.
Or....
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=83+AMC+9

Thanks for all your help!

There are no buttons on the motor itself. Unless they are hidden. It is a Rotor Sat HH90 that was distributed by Fortec. The manual has no mention of buttons or how to reset to 0.0. But my Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra receiver has a setting under Power Scan that will send it back to 0.0. It shows a satellite setting named SAT-29 (the number changes when I add or delete satellites), so far this has worked for setting the motor back to 0.0 Thank goodness for USALS, since being new at this it has made the setting up much easier.

Satellite located at 81W?

I recently found info on a satellite located at 81W. Is this info still correct? I haven't tried it yet, but was wondering if it can be picked up in the US.

Here's what I found:

Position 81 W
Satellite name: Intelsat 603 (IS-603, Intelsar 6 III, Intelsat 6 3)
Norad: 20523
Cospar: 1990-021A
Satellite Model: HS-389
Operator: Intelsat
Launch site: Cape Canaveral
Launch mass: 4215
Launch date: 14-Mar-1990
Notes: 38 C-band and 10 Ku-band transponders. Broadcasting, business services, direct-to-home TV broadcasting, telecommunications, VSAT networks. The second stage of the booster failed to separate from the satellite and its perigee motor so that it stayed in low (nonoperational) Earth orbit until the Space Shuttle Endeavour re-boosted it to the right orbit in May 1992. Planned for relocation to 81W orbital location under Argentinian license (as of May 1 2013).

Never mind, found out the C-band & Ku-band transponders have been retired, but the satellite is still active. Was hoping I could use to re-position my dish, because 81W is my true south location... I tried using 83, but can't seem to get it optimized just right. Can't pick up any satellites before 72W or after 121 W, thinking it's not tweaked quite right, because 72W & 121W has intermittent "blocking" issues with reception. Still learning, but enjoying the hobby...

Last edited:
It sounds like you are not tracking the arc correctly. Make sure you set the LAT on the motor correctly, its critical. Also critical make sure your mast/pole is absolutely vertical/plumb. On KU there isn't much below 72 except for Amazonas at 61 and Hispasat at 30W.
Past 121 there is 125W and thats it.

I'm at 79.6W and I peaked my Stab 90 and dish on 83W. I get from 30W to 125W with no problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts