Is there any universal satellite receiver?

Tom001001

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
I am a pretty fresh guy in satellite receiving field. I am considring to buy a satellite receiver. I have a stupid question. I want to know if there is any universal satellite receiver. I mean I need only one universal satellite receiver to receive all signals from DirectTV, Dish Network and FTA. Or, DirectTV or Dish Network receivers can be used to receive signals from FTA directly if I have the contract? or vice versa? Thanks!:confused::eek:

Nope. Each of the pay providers only work with their equipment, and there are DVB and DCII flavors of FTA.

Thanks, Pepper! I noticed there is a Dreambox DM500S satellite receiver. Can it be used to receive FTA or DirectTV?

Thanks, Iceberg! Can all of FTA receivers be used in europe? Is there any FTA receiver with smaller dimensions? I may move to europe and stay there for about half year. I want to bring a smaller satellite receiver there. Thanks!

It has recently come to my attention, that not all FTA receivers do PAL & NTSC.
(I had been under the impression they did)
So, you might want to verify that capability in the units firmware, before moving one across the pond.
Also look for 110/220 vac power capability, or plan on using a 2:1 transformer on it either here or there.

SatelliteAV said:
Mercury IIs loaded with North American firmware do not have the PAL function. They only have NTSC. If the receiver has original Fortec Factory firmware and the image is rolling, only two things can be causing this ..... Corrupted firmware or defective hardware.
from this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...liday-special-satellite-av-4.html#post1171395

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts