Is this a good deal for DSL/Phone Service?

I have Comcast here in Rockford. They split the cable from the data services as it came into the house. One line to cable modem. The cable modem also controls the VOiP phones. hooked into existing phone lines from there. The single cable modem feeds into router which then feeds the rest of the house with a combination of 802.11 and 802.3 wired.

So basically, just a single cable to a convenient location where you can hang the cable modem and then feed off the phones and internet. I thought you already had everything collected in the furnace room.

I am happy with my modem speed. Also, I found that it is just as cheap to keep basic cable with the triple play package. That will give you HD locals as well as they broadcast them in the clear using QAM.

I have Comcast here in Rockford. They split the cable from the data services as it came into the house. One line to cable modem. The cable modem also controls the VOiP phones. hooked into existing phone lines from there. The single cable modem feeds into router which then feeds the rest of the house with a combination of 802.11 and 802.3 wired.

So basically, just a single cable to a convenient location where you can hang the cable modem and then feed off the phones and internet. I thought you already had everything collected in the furnace room.

I am happy with my modem speed. Also, I found that it is just as cheap to keep basic cable with the triple play package. That will give you HD locals as well as they broadcast them in the clear using QAM.

I put in an email to the contractor who did the wiring, but I am thinking that the cable modem and router can go into the mechanical room, and then just feed the network from there, as I believe everything feeds into there.

If this is the case, then I will most likely go the cheaper route with better access. Not seeing any compelling aspect to the DSL; certainly not a deal.

I should know tomorrow morning when he gets back to me.

Now I doubt I will get any cable tv services. Sticking with Dish for that.

I put in an email to the contractor who did the wiring, but I am thinking that the cable modem and router can go into the mechanical room, and then just feed the network from there, as I believe everything feeds into there.

If this is the case, then I will most likely go the cheaper route with better access. Not seeing any compelling aspect to the DSL; certainly not a deal.

I should know tomorrow morning when he gets back to me.

Now I doubt I will get any cable tv services. Sticking with Dish for that.

You might find you get some cable services via analog or QAM if the installer doesn't trap all the signals. Some co's let all the digital cable services through so you might find the HD locals and few other FTE channels via QAM.

Since every cable company area pricing can be different you might want to see the pricing for straight cable modem service and cable modem plus the lifeline (very basic) cable service. When I had Comcast they hit you with a surcharge on the internet side if you didn't take any TV service, and the surcharge was the same as the lifeline service, so at least you'd have locals and some PI channels.

Since every cable company area pricing can be different you might want to see the pricing for straight cable modem service and cable modem plus the lifeline (very basic) cable service. When I had Comcast they hit you with a surcharge on the internet side if you didn't take any TV service, and the surcharge was the same as the lifeline service, so at least you'd have locals and some PI channels.

Its worth checking into, but I have lived without cable for years. Dish with LiL and OTA has covered it fine.

I have 6.0m/768K DSL from ATT for $35/mo.

the $64+ from VZ is HIGH.

DITTO;

ANyway I always prefer the DSL over cable; more user friendly to me and more stable. I also think I get closer to what I pay for. I would pay the same price for 6mbps DSL vs 7mbps cable. BUT if you get a ridiculously better deal I guess you have to follow the wallet.

I saw that high price for Verizon when I was out in CA looking at putting it on my Grandfather's phone (i.e. I pay for it to have it when I was visiting). ATT has a very low $15/month starting rate. No such luck with Verizon.

Ok, talking with Verizon (who serves as the baby-bell, so to speak, for Bloomington-Normal), thinking about DSL service instead of cable. No FIOS is available.

Anyways...
7.1MB download, 768 Upload on DSL, 1980 ft from the house to the Central Office.

Charge is $63.99 per month, plus $54.44 per month for land line and unlimited long distance.

Total bill of $118.43.

I am pretty sure that Comcast Cable modem has a 10MB download and I am guessing a higher upload. Don't have that info in front of me.

I am currently using a cable modem that costs $56/month through Bresnan here in CO.

Good price?
I am nervous about the 768 upload. Seems kind of slow to me. Their lower package has a 3.0 download, for $43.

I beleive the cable provider for bloomington normal is insight comm.

Its worth checking into, but I have lived without cable for years. Dish with LiL and OTA has covered it fine.

As others have mentioned, and what I was trying to say is that you likely have a QAM feed of your locals coming in unblocked on the cable. They don't trap these channels. In addition, you may very well have more than you can get OTA. My Comcast gives me a couple of Madison, Wi locals as SV in addition to the Rockford ones. Even though I believe you are thinking further north for 'locals', this would give you the HD Bloomington locals that you can't get from DISH. Good for news and weather alerts at least.

And besides, as everyone has mentioned, it is probably free if you bring the cable in for Data. Besides, itr is kind of fun to see what your neighbors are paying for on PPV :devil:

Hmm... it is possible. I will check.

I did get in touch with Comcast before reading this, although it took a long time to get to a local representative.

10mb download service is $40. The thing that surprised me was that she told me that the upload speed was 384K. Doesn't that seem really low? I was taken-aback by that statement.

Funny story: When my in-Laws went to get the $14.95 DSL deal for their house in Ft. Wayne, IN, Verizon told them no and said that since FIOS was in their neighborhood, that's how they had to be connected. It actually works out well for them; they pay a little over $110 a month for TV (1 HD DVR + 2 SD STBs), unlimited local and LD telephone, plus 5Mb down/2Mb up Internet access. If you're in Verizon territory, FIOS may be coming some day...

Now, I pay AT&T $34.95/mo for my DSL at 6Mb down/768Kb up service. I don't see 6MB down (maybe half that) so I need to find out why. I can't see paying $10/mo more for an extra 500Kb. The $64/mo that Verizon is charging for 7Mb down is too high, IMHO, as is the Concast Internet, but I guess that's Normal...
...sorry, couldn't resist...

Also, the $40/mo that Concast is quoting... How long before that spikes up to the $55-60/mo regular rate?

Also, the $40/mo that Concast is quoting... How long before that spikes up to the $55-60/mo regular rate?

Good question. I will ask. What about the 384K upload?? Isn't that painfully slow. I am pretty sure mine is considerably higher here.

Hmmm..... I actually just checked my speedtest.net scores that I posted int he pub a while back; same upload speed. Doh.

I guess I'll go with comcast and get the $20 savings, assuming that is the normal rate. Oh... bad one. ;)

I am meeting my friends from Bloomington this week end. I'll find out what they use for Internet.

Thanks,

I am tentatively scheduling a comcast install for next Saturday the 10th, as I will be there for next weekend and in the house. But because the house is new, they are sending out a truck today to make sure that the address is serviceable.

I did find out that the rate of $40 goes up to $44 after a year. That is still $20 cheaper then Verizon DSL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)