Is this equipment usable?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WakeBdr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Cumming, GA
I recently acquired some Directv equipment from a friend who no longer subscribed. He gave me his dual LNB dish and a Phillips DSX 5350R with access card in it. I currently do not subscribe to Directv or Dish but want to know if this equipment is usable for anything? Will it work if I plug a subscriber's access card into it?

Direct won't activate a used receiver to a new subscriber. PLus, they charge $20 for a new card

no it won't work if you plug a legit card into it.

Ouch! I guess they do that to make sure they sell equipment when they pick up new subscribers. Is the dish usable at all? Could it be used for Dishnetwork or another purpose?

Thanks for the info.

WakeBdr said:
Ouch! I guess they do that to make sure they sell equipment when they pick up new subscribers.
exactly...so they can get you into a contract. Dish allows you to activate an old receiver as a new customer with no contract
Is the dish usable at all? Could it be used for Dishnetwork or another purpose?

Thanks for the info.

The dish can be used for Dish Network, but only for one satellite location
110 or 119 or 61.5 or 148

Dish 500 can look at 2 locations (110 & 119)

or a birdbath...or a frisbee :D

Thanks for the information. Even though it is not what I wanted to hear, I appreciate it. You saved me some time and money.

Since I'm a newbie to all of this, I should probably elaborate on what I would like to do and maybe you can tell me if its possible or what I would need to do to make it possible. My goal is to have a system I can setup when I tailgate for college football games. I have seen other people doing this, but I imagine they are subscribers to either Dish or Direct already. Is there anything I can do with this equipment that would enable me to setup at my tailgate?

Thanks again

unless you are already a customer of Direct, nope. You would have to subscribe to DirectTv.

The dish would work for tailgating...seen that done many many times

As a new subscriber you should qualify for up to three directv receivers and installation FREE with a 1 year commitment to programming. The lowest cost programming package is Opcion Extra at $26.99/Mo. This is sold as a Spanish package but has 50 channels of english programming including ESPN,ESPN2 &ESPNEWS plus a lot of other basic programming. For tailgating you could use the DISH you have with one of the free receivers.

I haven't signed up with Directv because of the extra fee for each additional receiver. I have 4 tv's in my house, and the extra $15 would put me over what I pay for cable now.

WakeBdr said:
I haven't signed up with Directv because of the extra fee for each additional receiver. I have 4 tv's in my house, and the extra $15 would put me over what I pay for cable now.
Take the cable TV out tailgating. Compare the 100% digital signal to your analog cable how is your picture quality? :) :) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NFL Sunday Ticket without any Programming Package

dvr?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)