Is this illegal???

gwennielynn

Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
hi... i am technologically challenged, so please excuse my ignorance!

i was wondering if it's legal or possible to download saved programs from my dvr to my computer. IF it's legal, how do i do that? do i need any special drivers or cards, etc? thanks for your time :D

sunshine and smiles,
gwen

It is legal as long as YOU use them for you own personal pleasure and do not attempt to sell or make money off them. I do it all the time with with ReplayTV connected directly to my home network with a free program called DVArchive. No special drivers or cards are needed. Just make sure you have PLENTY of HDD space on your PC. I installed 600GB worth for mine.

Last edited:
Are there any cable companies that do? I've only seen stand alone, 3rd party units that offered DVD recording.

It can be done with IEEE 1394 on Motorola units, but it's not supported by cable co..

hi... i am technologically challenged, so please excuse my ignorance!

i was wondering if it's legal or possible to download saved programs from my dvr to my computer. IF it's legal, how do i do that? do i need any special drivers or cards, etc? thanks for your time :D

sunshine and smiles,
gwen

You can do it if you want to. The Motorola units have the IEEE 1394 port active which can be connected right to your PC. However the cable company told me that they will not do any tech support to assist you on it. Only do it if your knowledgable on networking. The USB is disabled on the Motorola units right now.

Good luck, let us know how it works out for you.

You can do it if you want to. The Motorola units have the IEEE 1394 port active which can be connected right to your PC. However the cable company told me that they will not do any tech support to assist you on it. Only do it if your knowledgable on networking. The USB is disabled on the Motorola units right now.

Good luck, let us know how it works out for you.

A tutor on how to do this can be found at AVSFORUM. Check out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=3818890#post3818890 for details.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts