is this included with free install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Seriously? ?

please tell me this is a joke. The jacks are not included in standard installation?
wtf, how do they wire the boxes? just run the cable through the wall and crimp the end?
A lot of homes these days are pre-wired. It really isn't surprising that the installer will charge for it.

Slick Vic - still a crapshoot to get someone you can understand well

ok right now I'm starting to think DirecTV treats their installers like scumbags... hence all the charges

I know when I had dish the guy had to take photos of all his work so he got paid for everything. Felt bad for him.

Guess thats how Direct gets away with being so much cheaper than Dish

just run the cable through the wall and crimp the end?
In terms of transmission quality, this is the ideal method.

Feeding a cable through a hole in something and terminating it at the receiver is what you get.

You can compromise the signal by putting in wall plates and couplers later if you can't live with knowing that there isn't a wall plate, but understand that it may adversely impact your viewing if you're sloppy or near the limits on distance.

Feeding a cable through a hole in something and terminating it at the receiver is what you get.

You can compromise the signal by putting in wall plates and couplers later if you can't live with knowing that there isn't a wall plate, but understand that it may adversely impact your viewing if you're sloppy or near the limits on distance.
So it is better to go without the wall plate? If I just run the cable, will it be a huge hole? Or will he clean it up at all or somethin?

Well I remember the line Dish dropped was the uncut cable directly from the satellite, but they at least put a plate to cover the hole they had to put in.

ok right now I'm starting to think DirecTV treats their installers like scumbags... hence all the charges

I know when I had dish the guy had to take photos of all his work so he got paid for everything. Felt bad for him.

Guess thats how Direct gets away with being so much cheaper than Dish
D* cheaper than E*? Naaaah

A lot of homes these days are pre-wired. It really isn't surprising that the installer will charge for it.
Alas, most houses aren't pre-wired for DIRECTV where there's a pretty fair chance that you'll need two cables home running from each DVR.

I think you're in for an unpleasant surprise here too.

oh please tell me now... neither has been installed.

I have 12 months at 59.9 for direct choice hd dvr

not including all the credits I have.

after the 12 months it goes up to 80 a month (but they swore they could put me in a new package afterwards... not holding my breath)

I just want an HD DVR and a middle tier of channels.

Dish came up a lot higher

(sorry for the hijack)

So it is better to go without the wall plate? If I just run the cable, will it be a huge hole? Or will he clean it up at all or somethin?
The holes typically aren't any larger than the cable. There are cover plates available that fit around the cable or you can buy an angled "hole-in-the-wall" where you can pass through multiple cables without severing any of them.

Remember that any of the DIRECTV DVR installs may require two cables depending on the switching technology that your installer uses.

The holes typically aren't any larger than the cable. There are cover plates available that fit around the cable or you can buy an angled "hole-in-the-wall" where you can pass through multiple cables without severing any of them.

Remember that any of the DIRECTV DVR installs may require two cables depending on the switching technology that your installer uses.

thats how the whole thing started... the jack is already wired... I need 2 wires there. which is why Im thinking he was going to charge 80 for each wire = 160. he said there'd be no charge if there wasn't a DVR... but hrm... he'd have to go into the attack anyway to cut the line from TW and add it to the dish.

again... another fee schedule that I'm clueless on

A bunch of the rooms in this home are pre-wired for D*, so it shouldn't be a problem with the two wires.

Seriously? ?

please tell me this is a joke. The jacks are not included in standard installation?
wtf, how do they wire the boxes? just run the cable through the wall and crimp the end?

Yup,

The correct way to do it is an "old work" box attached to a stud or the sheet rock. Then the cable is run into the installed box with a fitting into the insude of the wall plate. the wall plate is attached and then a cable is run from the outside of the wall plate to the receiver.

EXTRA CHARGE for the wall fish, box & plate.

The HSP way is to skip the box, run the cable into the wall and screw the plate to the sheet rock. The cable comes in through an exterior wall or up from the floor.

Joe

no i wasnt kidding, a standard install does not require the tech to install a wall plate, we need to pay for them, so the tech could charge you whatever he feels and just drill it into the drywall, but i personally would never do that, i charge 40 to install a gangbox with plate. 100 if the wire is fished (including the box 40+60)

and yes all we are 'required' to do is drill a hole in the wall and run the wire through it, then weather seal the hole, the size of the hole depends on how stupid the tech is, for just 1 wire, you only need a 3/8" bit. some people use 1/2" to accomidate the fitting, some use 5/8" to accomidate dual should it ever be needed.

I don't need a plate as long as it isn't a huge hole in the wall

120624X.jpg

Do installers carry these wall plates with them? I have never seen one that looks like this, if I buy one at a store before the installer comes, how much would he charge me to screw it into the wall and run the cable through it?

I don't need a plate as long as it isn't a huge hole in the wall

A feed thru bushing usually dresses up a cable quite nicely coming through the floor or wall. I would guess by saying most installers don't mind using them on the inside. Just ask your installer if would install one for you.

Is that install in response to if I purchase a plate in advance?

The setup in the picture you posted would be custom labor. Fishing wires to TV from receiver inside wall would likely be a custom charge.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts