is this included with free install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
had a final walk-through of home I'm renting today. low and behold there is no cable outlet in two of the rooms - major problem as I have D* scheduled to be installed in those two rooms. If I need cable outlets installed, is that part of my free installation? at this point, I don't mind if it is wall fish or not as long as it is free.

As long as it is not a wall fish, and you have receivers for those locations, and it is not more than 125' to get to thoses locations, yea it is free.

As long as it is not a wall fish, and you have receivers for those locations, and it is not more than 125' to get to thoses locations, yea it is free.
Shouldn't be more than 125'. These are the only two rooms the installer has to work with running wire to btw, because the owner already has a D* bird set up. If anything, he may just need to realign it.

Provided your landlord allows drilling through the walls to get the cable in, then liquidforce is correct.

There are some other factors that come into play if both of these rooms are interior rooms with no outside walls.

just to let you know a standard install does not include having 'jacks' or 'outlets' installed, the tech would drill a hole through the wall, stick the cable in, run it to the receiver and seal the hole up, if you want a wall plate or gang box installed, that will cost you extra to have it done correctly.

Congrats for asking,

You should know what is part of he free deal and what the installer will charge for.

Know that if the installer is actually a contractor he does not have to mention, submit or share fees he charges and you pay.

Ask how much an installer could make in an hour.

What often goes on is that DTV engages an HSP (Home Service Provider) to keep the installer moving by monitoring his movements. Where it becomes illegal is where the employer ( DTV ) treats employees as contractors for some purposes and uses contractors as employees for other reasons.

DTV......did you think nobody would notice? - - - - you!

Joe

Last edited:
Alright, well, the reason I had to ask was because a certain someone in the house thinks everything is free with the install. I said that is not the case, but that certain someone kept insisting it was. I had read elsewhere on many forums, including here from installers themselves and wanted to clear it up. I don't mind paying extra to have it done correctly; I am already paying Comcast to do that to install another wall plate when they come out to install my internet and phone service.

How much would it range in price for the installer to do a wall plate and install it all correctly?

I know I have another question that I am forgetting about right now, will post it when I remember ;)

just to let you know a standard install does not include having 'jacks' or 'outlets' installed, the tech would drill a hole through the wall, stick the cable in, run it to the receiver and seal the hole up, if you want a wall plate or gang box installed, that will cost you extra to have it done correctly.

Your kidding, right ?

Alright, well, the reason I had to ask was because a certain someone in the house thinks everything is free with the install. I said that is not the case, but that certain someone kept insisting it was. I had read elsewhere on many forums, including here from installers themselves and wanted to clear it up. I don't mind paying extra to have it done correctly; I am already paying Comcast to do that to install another wall plate when they come out to install my internet and phone service.

How much would it range in price for the installer to do a wall plate and install it all correctly?

I know I have another question that I am forgetting about right now, will post it when I remember ;)

Most wall plates you can have for about $5.

Know I know why I do all my own installs. Yikes.

I am unable to do an install myself. Otherwise I would probably do it myself without worrying about an installer. Especially here in Florida, I am warned about how unlikely it is to get an english speaking installer.

Ok, odds are the D* installer will be there before the movers, so there will only be one TV in the house. How much convincing would it take to get the installer to activate all of the boxes on one TV and then assure him I can do something as simple as plug in a coax and hdmi/component/composite to each TV?

I am unable to do an install myself. Otherwise I would probably do it myself without worrying about an installer. Especially here in Florida, I am warned about how unlikely it is to get an english speaking installer.

Ok, odds are the D* installer will be there before the movers, so there will only be one TV in the house. How much convincing would it take to get the installer to activate all of the boxes on one TV and then assure him I can do something as simple as plug in a coax and hdmi/component/composite to each TV?

Not much of a chance, I would wait for the TVs before you have the install done. Make sure everything is done right rather than rushing things. If they hook everything to 1 TV who would run the wires to the other rooms that you were talking about.

Not much of a chance, I would wait for the TVs before you have the install done. Make sure everything is done right rather than rushing things. If they hook everything to 1 TV who would run the wires to the other rooms that you were talking about.
Couldn't he just run all the wires to the rooms, and then I could just plug the TVs in myself? I don't really see how that is much of an issue. I've moved my E* box around the house plenty of times. I need the install done the 31st, but depending on his timing, all of the other TVs may not be at the house yet.

Couldn't he just run all the wires to the rooms, and then I could just plug the TVs in myself? I don't really see how that is much of an issue. I've moved my E* box around the house plenty of times. I need the install done the 31st, but depending on his timing, all of the other TVs may not be at the house yet.

I'm not going to be your installer of course. Just gave you my opinion which is all any of us can do.

Couldn't he just run all the wires to the rooms, and then I could just plug the TVs in myself?
No!

The installer is required to set up the TVs and show you how everything works with them. If the TVs aren't there, the installer is forced to cancel.

If you want a pre-wire, you're on your own to find an installer and pay for it.

No!

The installer is required to set up the TVs and show you how everything works with them. If the TVs aren't there, the installer is forced to cancel.

If you want a pre-wire, you're on your own to find an installer and pay for it.
I have a TV he can activate and show me all the boxes on. I don't see how this is a problem :(

I have a TV he can activate and show me all the boxes on. I don't see how this is a problem :(

He may do it if you have a small TV you can move from room to room. He must make sure every run is working to avoid a chargeback. The installer tyhat did mine was okay with a small TV I could move to every room so he could check. THats not a guarantee that this guy will be okay with it. My installer could tell I knew how to hook it up correctly once my TV's were brought.

He may do it if you have a small TV you can move from room to room. He must make sure every run is working to avoid a chargeback. The installer tyhat did mine was okay with a small TV I could move to every room so he could check. THats not a guarantee that this guy will be okay with it. My installer could tell I knew how to hook it up correctly once my TV's were brought.
Ok, I'll do that with a 13" then.

Just an update: I'll be taking a 13" TV with me to ensure all of the hookups work properly. Second, is it considered part of the standard install to have a wire run to a room and drilled in with a wall plate if it is not a wall fish?
Is there a way to find out who my installer is?

I also think my order ticket might be wrong, although the CSR read it back to me correctly. On the site, it says 1 HD receiver, but $198. I ordered 2, but it lists 1, but the price of 2. Same with the 3 standard receivers I ordered, except those say $0.

Seriously? ?

please tell me this is a joke. The jacks are not included in standard installation?
wtf, how do they wire the boxes? just run the cable through the wall and crimp the end?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)