is this included with free install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
lkr, just now seen your link. I wouldn't think someone would charge you to screw a wall plate on. I know I would not.

lkr, just now seen your link. I wouldn't think someone would charge you to screw a wall plate on. I know I would not.
He wouldn't have to wall fish for that, right? I think I will just go buy 2 of those and ask him to put those over the hole when he is done. Sounds like the easiest way for him to do it, doesn't have to spend any of his own money either.

Us Direct guys can be real huge a-holes and replace all the cabling in the house and charge for everything that need be charging. Chances are likely the wiring you might have is not a solid copper cable (needs replacin, $49 for a wallfish per wall not per wire), or maybe it could be a RG59 ( yup, definetiley needs replacin ). You have a line of sight on your house but you much rather have it on a pole ($75, the only exception for this is the KAKU). Most importantly, ALL wiring and dish has to be grounded to the Main house ground, no exceptions! If I can't ground it to your main house ground, I can't take the liability, therefore not do the job altogether. These are the rules we put up with as installers and cannot afford to lose our jobs over it as well hence this economy we're living in. Just my 4 cents. Oh by the way, I don't speak English.:D:D:D

Us Direct guys can be real huge a-holes and replace all the cabling in the house and charge for everything that need be charging. Chances are likely the wiring you might have is not a solid copper cable (needs replacin, $49 for a wallfish per wall not per wire), or maybe it could be a RG59 ( yup, definetiley needs replacin ). You have a line of sight on your house but you much rather have it on a pole ($75, the only exception for this is the KAKU). Most importantly, ALL wiring and dish has to be grounded to the Main house ground, no exceptions! If I can't ground it to your main house ground, I can't take the liability, therefore not do the job altogether. These are the rules we put up with as installers and cannot afford to lose our jobs over it as well hence this economy we're living in. Just my 4 cents. Oh by the way, I don't speak English.:D:D:D

Looks like you don't have much work if thats the specs you go by.

i might have to reschedule for thursday instead of friday. i'll know whether or not tomorrow night. if i do have to reschedule, will it cause any problems?

i might have to reschedule for thursday instead of friday. i'll know whether or not tomorrow night. if i do have to reschedule, will it cause any problems?
The Thursday after your Friday appointment, or the day before?

If it is after, it shouldn't be a problem...if it is before then it might be, depending upon how booked the installation company is.

Vic dude,
Actually you discover that you will overlook something that will take hours to re -run. That is what test tools are for...........test and use if not defective...right?

So you have all day to pick apart a previous installation and you do. You discover various items that do not quite fit the DTV specification. You elect to change them out and charge the customer.

So how can I continue to describe your plan without using the words PIMP and WHORE? We (especially you) have met the enemy and they are us!

Joe

yes to everyone, yes... wallplates are not included, and yes we just are required to run a wire through a wall directly into a receiver.

That explains why I'm always having to fix you D* guys cable runs. They're run straight through the wall with (if you're lucky) a wall bushing. We end up having to cut back the line and put a wall plate on.

What D* equipment requires solid copper? SWM or just the KA/KU in general? The only thing we use solid copper for at Dish is Wild Blue. All of our other stuff from legacy all the way up to DPP works great with copper clad.

According to D*, they feel solid copper is better for the KaKu frequencies. IMO, that's crap. E* has little or no problems with simply using copper cladded. And let's remember, DPP uses the same upper (and lower, if you count backfeeding TV2) frequencies that is required for the SWM and KaKu

yes to everyone, yes... wallplates are not included, and yes we just are required to run a wire through a wall directly into a receiver.
How much do you charge for wall plates once you arrive?

i dont get alot of customers that actually ask for a plate specifically, some say theyd like to do it on their own, but i install gangboxes with plates for 40 bucks, and if the line needs to be fished into the box, 100 total. per wall. 2 boxes on 1 wall is 80 bucks. but as i said most people ive dealt with have never even said anything about the way the lines were run let alone complained, sometimes i ask if they want the box installed, most decline. not sure what you guys are all complaining about to be honest.... custom work is still custom work, expect to pay for it. screwing a wallplate into drywall or plaster might work for like a week or so, but its a really sh!tty thing to do. if you want it done right your gonna pay for it. ive considered picking up some drywall anchors and doing plates w.o a box for 20 instead of 40, but the amount of people that actually ask about plates doesnt make me inclined to head out to lowes to pick up enough supplies to stock my truck. i roll with enough supplies to do two gang boxes just stocked on my truck, if i use one or both i buy more supplies, but ive had the same two gang boxes on my truck for about 4 months now...

what exactly is a gangbox? i'm not sure what that is.

its a piece of plastic, either a shallow box, or just a frame, that fits inside the wall. You cut a hole in the drywall just slightly smaller than the size of the plate itself, preferably near a stud, but there are other types of boxes to hold to the drywall itself. the hole should be about the size of your fist, the gangbox then fits inside. the plate will then screw into the box.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=37117-223-B120R&lpage=none

According to D*, they feel solid copper is better for the KaKu frequencies. IMO, that's crap. E* has little or no problems with simply using copper cladded. And let's remember, DPP uses the same upper (and lower, if you count backfeeding TV2) frequencies that is required for the SWM and KaKu

There is plenty of Copper Clad around the country work fine ...

i dont get alot of customers that actually ask for a plate specifically, some say theyd like to do it on their own, but i install gangboxes with plates for 40 bucks, and if the line needs to be fished into the box, 100 total. per wall. 2 boxes on 1 wall is 80 bucks. but as i said most people ive dealt with have never even said anything about the way the lines were run let alone complained, sometimes i ask if they want the box installed, most decline. not sure what you guys are all complaining about to be honest.... custom work is still custom work, expect to pay for it. screwing a wallplate into drywall or plaster might work for like a week or so, but its a really sh!tty thing to do. if you want it done right your gonna pay for it. ive considered picking up some drywall anchors and doing plates w.o a box for 20 instead of 40, but the amount of people that actually ask about plates doesnt make me inclined to head out to lowes to pick up enough supplies to stock my truck. i roll with enough supplies to do two gang boxes just stocked on my truck, if i use one or both i buy more supplies, but ive had the same two gang boxes on my truck for about 4 months now...

I'm glad my company has set prices, if the company let the installer decide on a cost, the prices would be all over the place ....:eek:

We charge 49. per jack, includes wire and jack plate and a wall fish thru attic or crawl ..... no added price if I have to go into a hot attic or thru a crawl.
No added price if I need to fish a wall.

I'm glad my company has set prices, if the company let the installer decide on a cost, the prices would be all over the place ....:eek:

We charge 49. per jack, includes wire and jack plate and a wall fish thru attic or crawl ..... no added price if I have to go into a hot attic or thru a crawl.
No added price if I need to fish a wall.

Had you been my installer I'd have watched True Blood on DirecTV last night instead of Time Warner.

Still wondering if it's even worth my energy to send an email about the 160 dollar charge to do my 1 wallfish.

Vic dude,
Actually you discover that you will overlook something that will take hours to re -run. That is what test tools are for...........test and use if not defective...right?

So you have all day to pick apart a previous installation and you do. You discover various items that do not quite fit the DTV specification. You elect to change them out and charge the customer.

So how can I continue to describe your plan without using the words PIMP and WHORE? We (especially you) have met the enemy and they are us!

Joe

This business is just doggy dog if you know what I mean.

160 is far too much for 1 wallfish.... im not gonna reread the entire thread, but ive run a total of 4 coax lines into 1 gangbox through a wall and up into the attic, two were for hddvr, 1 was for cable, and one was for a mirror feed that i then barreled into another room, i charged the guy 125 to do it all, including the mirror. he gave me 150 (25$ tip) since i took the time to install the box. and run it his way, but i still only charged him 125, and most of that was a mirror fee, i could have charged 40 for the box/plate, 60 for the fish (includes all wires, not 1) and another 45 to run the mirror. so i cut the guy a 20 dollar discount to make it back up in a tip i wasnt expecting.... were not all a**holes man, but give us credit for our work. Directv isnt going to pay us to do any of that. and if the cust didnt wanna pay anything, then i could have drilled a hole in his wall, brought the line through, connected it to the box, refused to do a mirror, and just used diplexers to leave the existing comcast cable in play, but instead i ran him all dedicated lines. the whole process took about 2 hours, and i could have been gone in far less time, we dont work for free. Please stop hassling us.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts